Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Taz had a stroke

malonair
May 23rd, 2008, 07:06 AM
Hi
My friends Jack Russell,Taz had a stroke two weeks ago,she is nine years old.The vet has put her on Vivitonin and (Prednicare,which she took for a week and is now on half a day).She has a great thirst,is often sick,and not her normal self.She hasnt eaten food for a couple of days.Has anyone experienced this with their dog.

badger
May 23rd, 2008, 09:32 AM
Did the vet do a blood panel? How does one diagnose a stroke, as opposed to something else?
I think you might have to take her back for another consultation.

malonair
May 23rd, 2008, 10:32 AM
Hi Badger
Thanks for your reply.
Taz was being sick and then collasped.The vet came and picked her up because my friend(Taz's owner)is housebound.They kept her overnight,gave her an injection, blood test,and medication.They said she had a stroke.
Taz saw another vet yesterday.She was just walking around,not being able to get comfortable anywhere.She just wants to drink so much water,and not eating today.

Dr Lee
May 23rd, 2008, 10:37 AM
That was very kind of your vet to do. Best wishes during this difficult time.

malonair
May 23rd, 2008, 01:08 PM
Hi
Do you think the medication she is taking is making want to drink so much water?

rainbow
May 23rd, 2008, 03:38 PM
Hi
Do you think the medication she is taking is making want to drink so much water?

Prednicare is a corticosteroid and increased thirst is a side effect. I don't know if it should cause her to be sick though. Your friend should discuss this with her vet.

malonair
May 23rd, 2008, 03:44 PM
Hi
Just spoken to my friend concerning Taz,who hasnt been very well all day.The vet has taken her back again,when she examined her, her tummy was sore and there was blood on the thermometer,they seem to think she has an infection now.

rainbow
May 24th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Oh no :sad: .....I hope she will be okay. :fingerscr :goodvibes: