Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bulldog food

jcampbell21
May 22nd, 2008, 04:12 PM
Hello, I am likely getting a bulldog soon and wondering what to feed it. Can anyone tell me what kind of food is best for a bulldog and whether or not the breed has to stay away from certain foods.
I saw some specialty bulldog food made by royal canin at petsmart..does anyone know if this is good or if it has special ingredients for bulldogs?
thanks

mastifflover
May 22nd, 2008, 04:38 PM
I would say no to Royal Canin there are better foods for him. Remember to consider all things that effect Bulldogs, for instance skin problems, breathing etc. Buy the best quality food you can afford, a few people have told me to go grain free with my Am. Bulldog avoid skin problems. You must do your research on English Bulldogs they do have quite the laundry list of things that may affect them. Do not worry if you bought your dog from a reputable breeder your dog will have a health guarantee which means they have chosen dogs without problems for their breeding program. Also they will be able to tell you what they feed and why. Do not be afraid to ask lots of questions of the breeder no question is stupid it will only educate you more. Please do lots of research on them and enjoy your baby they are so cute. Don't forget to post pics as soon as possible

jcampbell21
May 22nd, 2008, 05:39 PM
Thanks!
Im definitly going to look into it. I thought that the royal canin would be good because i hadnt ever seen a food that was specifically for bulldogs, or any other breed for that matter. I think i will try and go with something of better quality.

LavenderRott
May 22nd, 2008, 06:40 PM
Gotta love those marketing ploys, huh.

Anything "special" that might be in a breed specific food is there in such low quantities that it really doesn't do any good, but is a great reason to charge a ton more.

There are several threads in this forum that will help you pick a better food. Be sure to read the stickies, too. :thumbs up