Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

training again!!! ooops

Quitzia
May 21st, 2008, 06:45 PM
Dear friends! I have a trio at home, an feisty scottish (12 years old), labrador (7 ys) and a small half bichon that I adopted (aprox 6ys). All girls and perfect well behaved until now. The little one decided to forget that she goes out and poo or pees inside the house now almost every day. It's getting worse!
We have tried all our knowledge to get her to learn again, she is getting worse. Even if she just has come in she would almost do it in our presence. All 3 have been living together for almost 2 years now. She has seizures 2 or 3 times a year and we know she was beaten before. The brain scans show nothing. Its like she doesnt get it. Advice please!!! she is a very loving precious family member!!

luckypenny
May 21st, 2008, 07:33 PM
Welcome to pets.ca Quitzia :) .

Has your 'little one' been spayed by any chance? A close friend of mine had been experiencing the same with his 5 year spayed female and it turned out to be an incontinence due to low estrogen levels (easily resolved with medication). Perhaps your dog's issue is not behavioral yet medical in nature. Have you been to see your vet? You might want to ask him/her about this.

jessi76
May 22nd, 2008, 08:00 AM
I agree w/ luckypenny, I think you should rule out the possibility of a medical problem before assuming it's a behavioral issue. Let us know what your vet says. :)

gaerwen
May 22nd, 2008, 01:18 PM
Our lab has spay incontinence, but she tends to pee in her sleep or when sitting...Id rule that out first...However, Our Boston, who we adopted and was extremely traumatised/completely untrained prior to her adoption, will toilet in the house if we change anything.(move a piece of furniture, leave unusual messes, have more company than usual) She will sometimes go months without peeing etc then will go for a few days like she isnt house trained. After we ruled out health issues we spoke to a behaviorist who figures she was likely a puppy-mill-mama and just regresses when she is stressed. We are doing alot of class time with her to reinforce our bonding and that seems to help alot too. Maybe try more interactive time with her?
Other than those ideas, maybe kennel her again? start from scratch like she is a pup?
Good luck! I know that can be frustrating!

Quitzia
May 26th, 2008, 10:29 PM
Yes, she was spayed about 4 years ago. This is a great help to look around her hormones. I did not think of that before! I will keep you posted. I live in Mexico City and, as much as I dont like it, takes a while to find a vet that wants to go further in the fine tuning of an ilness.
Good thoughts for all of our furry friends and their great companions!:lightbulb: