Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

UTI in dog

bluesandydog
May 21st, 2008, 02:34 PM
My 11 yr old Border collie/Golden Retriever mix was diagnosed w/ UTI-her first. My vet put her on antibiotics and she's has 3 at this point (480mg Trimethoprim Sulfa). My question is "How long before the meds kick in?". Now it seems wherever she is she leaves a puddle. It's not fair to her as she's never been one to have accidents. Other aspects of her physical (last week) show she's a healthy active pooch. Any advice? Thanks

Dr Lee
May 21st, 2008, 03:36 PM
If the bacteria is sensitive to the antibiotic and Trimethoprim Sulfa is a good choice (a common choice for human UTIs as well), then usually within 24-72 hours there should be some improvement. If not, then I would contact your veterinarian.

It is very important to note that even if all the signs disappear, it is very important to finish the full 2-3 week course of antibiotics. UTI's, in general, cannot be cured in less than a 2 week course. If you stop when the clinical signs stop, then the infection can remain but be subclinical. This can be dangerous to have an infection without signs, especially if the infection at any times creeps up the ureters to a kidney.

Hope that helps. :pawprint: