Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My dog was poisoned...I need advice...

lorieg203
May 21st, 2008, 09:46 AM
My puppy Annie got into poisoning...pesticide. We caught it quickly and took her to the vet. He flushed her system and said to watch her but he thought she would be ok. But two days later she still has no energy and her back legs tremble when she stands. She gets up and literally walks 4 feet before she collapses. She's eating ok, drinking ok and has is using the restroom. I can tell that my baby is still there behind her exhaustion and I'm desperate for any advice or answers to what to expect. Does anyone know of long term effects of poisoning on dogs or what to expect? I've done searches for two days on the internet and have come up with nothing. I appreciate your help...

BMDLuver
May 21st, 2008, 09:51 AM
Have you called the vet back and indicated that there is not much improvement? Did the vet not keep her for 24 hour observation? When my daughter drank liquid tylenol cold and flu, she was 12 hours on IV and blood tests were done every 3 hours. I would think the management of a puppy would be the same particuliarly when having ingested pesticides. :shrug:

Love4himies
May 21st, 2008, 09:54 AM
Your poor dog. I don't have any advice as my cat was hospitalized until she was out of the woods (3 days) when she got into poison, daily bloodwork, intravenous fluids for flushing, etc. Was there any bloodwork done to determine liver/kidney damage? Has your dog been eating at all.

Perhaps another trip back to the vet and another flushing along with some bloodwork (if not done previously).

Good luck and hope your Annie will be OK.

lorieg203
May 21st, 2008, 09:55 AM
Yes, she was there about 12 hours being monitored by the vet. I took her home because she was doing so well. I keep in touch with him at least twice a day. He's said if she's not better by the end of today then bring her in for blood work...but the waiting...isn't it better to know quickly so we can do something about it???? My husband thinks I'm overreacting but I'm tired of watching her be so sad. I think I'm going to take her back today for the bloodwork.

Love4himies
May 21st, 2008, 09:58 AM
When my cat got into the poison, the emerg vet (easter weekend, mine was closed) did subcutaneous fluids for flushing and was told to bring her back to her regular vet the next morning. My cat did feel better for about 12 hours then got sick again, then she was hospitalized for 3 days.

Love4himies
May 21st, 2008, 09:58 AM
My husband thinks I'm overreacting but I'm tired of watching her be so sad. I think I'm going to take her back today for the bloodwork.

My hubby said the same thing, if I listened to him, Puddles would be dead.

BMDLuver
May 21st, 2008, 11:53 AM
If your gut is telling you to go, then go..

want4rain
May 21st, 2008, 12:18 PM
My hubby said the same thing, if I listened to him, Puddles would be dead.


i think husbands feel the need to compensate for our compassion.

you say your dog has already had blood work done??? if not please, take her back in as soon as you can to check her liver function.

-ashley

mastifflover
May 21st, 2008, 12:22 PM
I would go back and do the bloodwork. Better safe than sorry. I hope your baby is okay keep us posted.