Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Jermy chewed a dead bird

Masha
May 21st, 2008, 08:33 AM
Hi,

Jermy found a dead bird on our walk in the park yesterday. He grabbed it in his mouth and we managed to get it out after about a minute or so. He was behaving normally in the evening and then at night he puked in his crate and barely ate today in the morning. I will be calling the vet now, but does anyone know if there is anything that can pass from the bird to him and if so, can this also pass to our cat or to us?

Thanks,

BMDLuver
May 21st, 2008, 08:38 AM
Really depends what the bird ingested for his health. For your health and your cats health, either of you would have to eat what he threw up or eat what comes out the other end. Just give the area where he was ill a thorough cleaning with warm water and bleach and you and the cat will be fine. I hope he is fine as well but it's important to get him to the vet particuliarly if he is looking lethargic and not eating.

Masha
May 22nd, 2008, 09:36 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I spoke with the vet yesterday morning and she told us to try and feed him around lunch time and monitor him afterwords and if he displays any signs such as being lethargic, vomiting or diareah to take him in. We tried to feed him at 1 and he ate his food as usual and behaved and played normally. He has been fine since :)

Again, thanks for your keep reply.