Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My 17 year old cat is no more

anniebananie
June 30th, 2004, 07:09 AM
After a long battle with something that none of our vets could pin down, I finally decided to have my *old lady* put to sleep. She had all the signs of kidney failure, but some of her blood work wasn't consistant with that. But we put her on a *kidney* diet anyway, and she was doing fine. At this point the vet was thinking it could be cancer. Well on Monday she got all wobbly and fell over a few times, so I called the vet and took her in. They still couldn't find out what was wrong and gave me some alternatives to find out what was going on. The alternatives included lots more blood work, weekly visits to the clinic (she always screamed all the way there and back). So took the decision not to put her through anymore. Now I feel awful. The other cats in the house miss her - especially my younger mentally challenged cat. I just HATE having to do this with any of my pets, as I always want them to die peacefully in their sleep. But it never seeems to happen. I just feel awful about it :( :( :(

chico2
June 30th, 2004, 08:33 AM
Annibananie,I sympathize,it never gets easier and we always feel awful,wondering if we did the right thing,after all we end a life :(
For this 17yr old girl,you did the right thing,no more tests,no more poking,no more pain,just forever sleep and she loves you for it...

anniebananie
June 30th, 2004, 09:01 AM
Thanks Chico2. You are right - and she was old and frail <sigh> I was just thinking it is easier to let a human go (in some ways) than an animal. I had to let my mother go - made the decision of no treatment when she had pneumonia and was in her late 80's (we had discussed this b4), but find I am far more upset with Tikka than I was with my mothr. Maybe I was busier arranging funerals and things then - and with Tikka she couldn't tell me what to do. Does that make any sense :confused: Oh well - this too will pass, but I will miss her lying on the stairs and making her her c/d soup twice a day. :(

Catt31
June 30th, 2004, 09:25 AM
((((HUGS))))) I'm so sorry you had to make that decision, but I agree with Anita - you did the right thing for her. Now she is in Kitty Heaven running and romping with all her other pals!!! I had to make that decision about one of my cats too, he was very very sick and very miserable! It was the hardest thing I ever had to do!! I know how you feel!!

babykitty
June 30th, 2004, 10:50 AM
So sorry for your loss. :(
[QUOTE]I was just thinking it is easier to let a human go (in some ways) than an animal.[QUOTE]
In alot of ways you are right. Pets are usually your rock in a hard place, when everything else in your world is upside down.

Lucky Rescue
June 30th, 2004, 11:47 AM
I'm sorry for your loss. I know you will miss her very much, but you did the right thing for your ol' gal.

My 17 yr old cat was the same - she went blind overnight and couldn't stand. I opted not to have any invasive or painful testing done to her.:(

They are all at the Bridge, and there is tuna and cream for everyone!

Karin
June 30th, 2004, 02:36 PM
I am so sorry for your loss.

glasslass
June 30th, 2004, 05:17 PM
Sometimes you have to weigh the quality of life with the quantity and make a decision that is hard on us, but kinder for them. You did the right thing, but I know it's painful! ((you)) :(

melanie
June 30th, 2004, 05:48 PM
we are so sorry, our hearts and thoughts are with you

anniebananie
June 30th, 2004, 08:44 PM
You guys are really great. I do feel better about what I had to do - but I will really miss her, and her green adoring eyes. So trusting - but I just knew it wouldn't be right to keep her alive for us. She just hated going in the car and to getting needles. It s so comfrorting to know that I wasn't the only one to have made that choice. I am still sad, but don't feel quite so guilty or awful. Thank you so much.

Anne

WOODY
June 30th, 2004, 09:40 PM
Having the strength to help a fur child escape a life that has become painful and confusing is the most loving and final gift we can give our children. They give us unconditional love their entire life and ask nothing in return. It is hard to release them and we never forget but have comfort in the fact their love for us and our love for them transends the veil of death.
Be at peace and remember the good of your life together.
Woody

Luba
June 30th, 2004, 10:05 PM
Oh I'm so very sorry for your loss!

Your baby was with you a very long time and you've cherished so many years together. It's so very very hard! Anyone who's had to experience this, including me knows exactly how you feel.

Great big hugs!!

Spoiled
July 1st, 2004, 10:32 AM
That is too bad. :( Sometimes you have to make the decision to let them go, and its never easy. :(

Rhonda Rae Gibs
July 1st, 2004, 11:00 AM
I'm so sorry, that is such a hard thing to do. She is still with you, you just can't see her. :o

jenjen
July 1st, 2004, 01:01 PM
"The final cause of animals having such short lives......is in compassion for the human race: for if we suffer so much in losing an animal after an acquaintance of ten to twenty years, what would it be if they were to live double that time?"

Sir Walter Scott

deerclan
July 1st, 2004, 01:25 PM
anniebananie...Very sorry for your loss

DeerClan