Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

my dog is eating his poop

sd1102
May 20th, 2008, 03:00 AM
could someone please tell me how to stop my 6 month shihtzu from eating his poop. I'm not sure how long this has been going on. I know this sounds horrible,So if there is anyone out there that can give me some suggestions on how to get him to stop, I would be very thankful!

sd1102
May 20th, 2008, 07:43 AM
I hope someone can give me some advice on this horrible habit my 6 month old shihtzu has.The other day I caught him eating his poop and I could not believe it.I am not sure how long he has been doing this, but it has to stop, if anyone can give me some advice on what to do, I would be greatful. Thanks:confused:

BusterBoo
May 20th, 2008, 07:48 AM
Sorry to hear your tzu has this habit! I believe there are several threads on this topic, so you can do a search and might be able to find some answers.

The best way to stop your tzu from doing this, is to pick up the poop right away. That means following him after he goes out and getting to it before he does. Some dogs will outgrow the habit, others won't! The actual name for this habit is Coprophagia and there is tons of info on the web.

I know some people have tried various store bought remedies with no success.

Good luck! Sure would love to see pictures of the little poop-eater!

jessi76
May 20th, 2008, 08:45 AM
S.E.P. by Solid Gold does work, IMO. my mom uses it for her dog, and it works like a charm for her. you should be able to find it where Solid Gold dog products are sold. more info on it...

ETA: this is a supplement that gets added to your dog's food, daily... (or as needed).

S.E.P. (Stop Eating Poop)TM by Solid Gold
The active ingredient in S.E.P. is Glutamic Acid. When Glutamic Acid is mixed with the stomach acids, the stool becomes bitter to the taste, which deters the dog from eating the stool.

Protein, Min. 14%
Fat, Min. 2.16%
Fiber, Max. 11%
Moisture, Max. 11.7%

Ingredients

Dicalcium Phosphate | Rice Flour | Glutamic Acid | Peppermint | Yucca Schidigera Extract | Beef Liver | Oil of Parsley | Natural Flavoring |

Available in 3.5 oz. containers.

DoubleRR
May 20th, 2008, 08:53 AM
This is a good article on the subject:

http://www.calgaryhumane.ca/animal_behaviour_dog_coprophagia.asp

jealma
May 20th, 2008, 09:52 AM
So far what I have done to avoid this problem is clean up as soon as Abby goes. I think this is a pretty common problem with Shih Tzu's so don't feel your in it alone. Because Abby is so small we don't tie her out we are always with her so clean up is not a big deal although I have found that the rabbit poop in the yard has become a problem. And that friggen stuff is hard to find until she is into it. Let me know how it goes, and good luck.

p.s. Would love to see a picture in the near future.

Dr Lee
May 20th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Most dogs outgrow this behavior between 6 and 12 months of age. Some do not, but most do.

The veterinary and pet store anticoprophagic (anti-poop eating) medication is Forbid or Deter. The active ingredient is MSG (mono sodium glutamate). It is a flavor enhancer and when you sprinkle it on the food, the food but also the poop has its flavors enhanced. This makes the poop taste even worse than one would already image that it does. Unfortunately the reason the young puppies eat poop is that they have only been on earth for a few months and do not know what is gross and what is not. Usually by 9-12 months of age they have figured it out so you don't need to do anything. If they are still eating poop when they are a year of age, then MSG works well. Younger then that I do not have great look for it for the reasons described.

There is a lot of concern when MSG is mentioned. The big concern on MSG are more for allergic reactions that people have to it then it is anything particularly wrong with MSG. The California Food Safety teacher at my college put MSG on everything - he loved it and said it was very safe. He started his first class by pouring a bunch of it on his soup and eating it throughout the lecture. I have not had any of the dogs have any reactions to it. :pawprint:

CearaQC
May 20th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Sorry - but gotta hijack here.

I disagree on the MSG - it's NOT a good thing. It's in almost every single prepared food out there. I don't want it, and certainly not going to give it to my pets!

Better off picking up the poop right away. Compare how much time it takes to pick up poop with the time it takes to put in the food additives. One is free and gives you a bit of exercise. The other costs $$.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/

Go to that site and type in 'MSG obese' in the search bar. I did just now and there are 133 articles.

It causes diabetes and obesity in rats.

They put it into food at old folks' homes to make them eat more. MSG is basically nothing more than the "nicotine" of food. Makes people addicted and want to eat more. Ever see that commercial for Lays Potato Chips? "Betcha can't eat just one" takes on a whole new meaning!

Could MSG be responsible for the increasing rate of obesity in North America?

The glutamate (MSG) manufacturers and the processed food industries are always on a quest to disguise the MSG added to food. Below is a partial list of the most common names for disguised MSG. Remember also that the powerful excitotoxins, aspartate and L-cystine, are frequently added to foods and according to FDA rules require NO LABELING AT ALL.

* Food Additives that ALWAYS contain MSG *

Monosodium Glutamate
Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein
Hydrolyzed Protein
Hydrolyzed Plant Protein
Plant Protein Extract
Sodium Caseinate
Calcium Caseinate
Yeast Extract
Textured Protein (Including TVP)
Autolyzed Yeast
Hydrolyzed Oat Flour
Corn Oil

* Food Additives That FREQUENTLY Contain MSG *

Malt Extract
Malt Flavoring
Bouillon
Broth
Stock
Flavoring
Natural Flavors/Flavoring
Natural Beef Or Chicken Flavoring
Seasoning
Spices

* Food Additives That MAY Contain MSG Or Excitotoxins *

Carrageenan
Enzymes
Soy Protein Concentrate
Soy Protein Isolate
Whey Protein Concentrate

From the book 'Excitotoxins - The Taste That Kills'
By Dr. Russell Blaylock, MD

Stay far, far away from Aspartame too. Info from the same source

Aspartame - An Intense Source Of Excitotoxins
Aspartame is a sweetener made from two amino acids, phenylalanine and the excitotoxin aspartate. It should be avoided at all costs. Aspartame complaints account for approximately 70% of ALL complaints to the FDA. It is implicated in everything from blindness to headaches to convulsions. Sold under dozens of brand names such as NutraSweet and Equal, aspartame breaks down within 20 minutes at room temperature into several primary toxic and dangerous ingredients:
1. DKP (diketopiperazine) (When ingested, converts to a near duplicate of
a powerful brain tumor causing agent)
2. Formic Acid (ant venom)
3. Formaldehyde (embalming fluid)
4. Methanol (causes blindness...extremely dangerous substance)
Common Examples:
Diet soft drinks, sugar free gums, sugar free Kool Aid, Crystal Light, childrens' medications, and thousands of other products claiming to be 'low calorie', 'diet', or 'sugar free'.

Dr Lee
May 20th, 2008, 07:03 PM
MSG is basically nothing more than the "nicotine" of food. Makes people addicted and want to eat more. Ever see that commercial for Lays Potato Chips? "Betcha can't eat just one" takes on a whole new meaning!

Deter or Forbid is meant to be used for less than a week. I am not recommending MSG for life. However it is a safe additive that can stop coprophagia permanently in some dogs with a short dosing course. For many people this offers an inexpensive, safe, easy and temporary option. I think the key is giving people options and letting people pick what is right for their family. Everyone is different.:pawprint:

the gang
May 20th, 2008, 07:40 PM
welcome to my world!!!! have 5 min pins, 3 that eat poop i have tried everthing-------------- s e p did not work for them at all, and neighter did the other stuff i know its gross! but some dogs do this for life like dr lee says, i just make sure to clean the backyard like 4 times a day, dont think your alone, lots of dogs do this its just not talked about a whole lot!!!! good luck brenda and the pins. :thumbs up

BusterBoo
May 20th, 2008, 07:52 PM
:D Brenda....3 that clean your yard for you?????? Buster tried to snack during the winter.....poopsicles! He is 2 yrs old and Iwas sure he had passed that stage....

:wall:

rainbow
May 20th, 2008, 08:19 PM
My lab used to eat our other dog's poop. The two things that worked best for us were:

1. Teaching the "leave it" command which means you must go outside with him at all times.

2. Switching to a grain-free kibble......grains and especially corn in kibble is harder to digest so the dog can smell it in the poop therefore they think it is something tasty to eat.

Here is some more information:

http://www.paw-rescue.org/PAW/PETTIPS/DogTip_PoopEating.php

satchelp
May 21st, 2008, 12:42 AM
You may want to try some digestive enzymes added to their food (product like Prozyme). This often helps.

jealma
May 21st, 2008, 10:03 AM
I have to eat my words. Earlier I posted I have not had a problem with this, we pick up as soon as she goes. Well we headed to the cottage yesterday and gave Abby the run of the yard. The Geese love to come up into the yard, there is like 10 of them or more, and they leave behind a generous amount of droppings. Next thing you know Abby had a mouth full of the stuff and was I grossed out. Now I"m worried about parasites and stuff in that poop, (sorry bird lovers) but isn't there a lot of bugs come with birds? (wild geese)