Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

PLEASE help my dog is eating his poop!

sd1102
May 20th, 2008, 02:54 AM
I really need your help on this one. My 6 month old shihtzu has started eating his poop. Please tell me how to stop this..::

gaerwen
May 20th, 2008, 10:47 AM
I switched dog food, and my vet said you can buy "forbid" which makes them stop...I havent tried it. Id make sure the pup is getting high quality food, 3x times a day.
However, My Boston is 3 and eats our other dogs poop. She eats less now, but still eats it.

Chaser
May 20th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Try to stay on top of the poop cleanup as much as you can to prevent it...and I've heard feeding a bit of pineapple can help, but I've never had cause to try it. Any senior members know more about this???

14+kitties
May 20th, 2008, 12:37 PM
There are a few things you can try. Keep on top of the clean up is the best. Try some commercial product made for this problem. Try sprinkling tobasco sauce on the poop. But if you are doing that you might as well just clean it up.
My dog likes cat poop. Tastes like their food. :D

This article gives lots of reasons why some dogs suffer from coprophagia. Maybe you can figure out why your dog does that.

http://www.pet-comfort-products.com/why-dogs-eat-poop.html

This one has some tips for stopping it - or trying to. Good luck!!

http://www.paw-rescue.org/PAW/PETTIPS/DogTip_PoopEating.php

snowflake1
May 26th, 2008, 11:31 PM
my dog eats her poop too. I try to keep up on cleaning it up. but sometimes I miss a stop. I have read on websites to try pineapple or meat tenderizer. I have found that those don't really work. I just try to get her to drop it if she is eating it or distract her so I can clean it up before she eats more.

Jacinthe
May 30th, 2008, 01:38 PM
My Boston Terrier was eating his poop too and the duck poop at the lake. This lady I know told me that it is because their body is not producing enough pectin so they try to get it somewhere else. She told me to give him a Certs every so often, apparently there is pectin in them. I tried it and it worked for Bruiser plus the Certs freshens his breath...lol I tried to find an article that mentioned this trick but with no luck. I don't where she heard it but it worked for me.

geisha
May 30th, 2008, 08:32 PM
I agree with the previous posts. Good quality food and a prompt poop pickup
will hopefully do the trick. :thumbs up I read in the Whole Dog Journal that it may be a result of a copper deficiency

BusterBoo
May 30th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Not sure why, but shih tzus seem to have the urge to eat poop! (I belong to a couple of tzu boards and this is a common problem)! The best solution is to pick up right after the job is done. some of them outgrow this nasty habit, others don't, so you will have to teach your doggie not to eat poop! (winter is great...it's poopsicles!) I have heard of a lot of "remedies" but none that have worked 100%

Good luck!