Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

im so freaked out,charlie having bad night

melanie
June 30th, 2004, 05:18 AM
:confused: :confused: oh guys, i am really freaked, have posted in ask the vet about charlies reverse sneeze. (hubby not home tonight either so it makes it worse, no one to calm me down and we have no vet emergency services here) it is like a type of fit reverse sneezing tonight and keeps happening, oh my god i am so freaked nothing like this has ever happened before, i have examined her thoroughly and nothing. oh nothing ever happens to her, when it does i fly into panic mode. she is sooo clingy tonight and she wont let go of me, she is sitting on my feet and i cant even go to the toilet without her following and sitting in the toilet with me., she has really scared herself and you can see it in her eyes, oh poor baby, will be at vets door first thing when they open. oh please send lots of good vibes and thoughts to my baby, i believe they work, oh no, i cant handle it when she is unhappy. well i will not be sleeping tonight that is for sure, i will sit by her side till tomorrow morn. oh i am so worried, i hate it when she is unhappy or i dont know what is wrong. i hope this night passes fast, it has to. please send her good vibes :confused: :(

chico2
June 30th, 2004, 07:38 AM
Oh Mel,wish we lived a little closer,I would hold your hand and Charlies paw.
Lots of good,happy vibes from this corner of the world...Good Luck!

Catt31
June 30th, 2004, 08:27 AM
WELL??? How is she??? We all had our paws and fingers crossed over here too, hoping she is alright!!! Keep us posted!!! :D

Lucky Rescue
June 30th, 2004, 11:09 AM
My dog has these (reverse sneezes) too! It seems to happen after hard exercise, or excitement of some sort.

Last night she had such a bad attack, it scared HER! Here's what I do, and it always works:

Calm her down with slow strokes and soft talk. I FIRMLY stroke her throat to help stop the spasms and I put my fingers over her nostrils for about 3 seconds. When I release, she should lick her lips and swallow (or you can give something soft like a piece of bread)

These things stop the sneezes.

Catt31
June 30th, 2004, 02:15 PM
OMG, are they almost like a hiccup??? Brick gets those too, and sort of snorts. I never thought of them as reverse sneezes!!

melanie
June 30th, 2004, 03:13 PM
oh guys you are all just wonderful, make me want to cry to see such kind hearts. it is 6am and we just got up. ok last night was a bit rough, i got her calm and in my bed and we dozed, she did it 3 times during the night but not since we woke. im still going to the vet though, just in case it is something up her nose or something like that triggering it.
catt it is like a nasty snort, and it happens a few times and her poor little tummy/rib area goes in and out really hard when she does it. it has never happend like that violently before so i was pretty scared and she scared herself something shocking. thank you all i will keep you psoted, vet this morn so will know soon. chalrie says thanks for the kind thoughts they made her feel better

Catt31
June 30th, 2004, 04:09 PM
Ya, that is totally what Brick has done in the past.....I was terrified the first time, and took him to the vet. She said it was just something up his nose. Then it happened again, twice since then. I've just sat with him calmly and got him to relax. And it was right after he got back from a big run or a big swim (or both). Let us know what your vet says.....since mine is too stupid to figure it out (am currently looking for a new one!!) :D

sammiec
June 30th, 2004, 04:19 PM
Briggs makes a weird sound once and a while; kinda sounds like she might throw up, or she is coughing. Is that the same thing? She's been treated for kennel cough, so I know it not that.

melanie
June 30th, 2004, 04:43 PM
sammy that is exactly it. yesterday when it started we had been playing out the back. we just got back from a walk, i had to take her out, she gets more up set if we dont go out, so i wanted to avoid the stress and i tried not to let her run anywhere. she just did it again jsut now but it was only a few times and not like last night. and for the most part of the morn she has been running around the house like an idiot and being her normal self. oh dear doggies, such a worry. it was just so violent and she looked so scared, oh it was awful. vet not open yet, wish he was. will be sitting at his door as soon as he is though

melanie
June 30th, 2004, 04:45 PM
lucky i just did what you said and it worked, oh thank you so much, we are just so lucky to have you, thank you

sammiec
June 30th, 2004, 05:09 PM
LOL!!! I find this funny. I don't mean to make light of the situation. I can just picture them all in a room together making these horrible noises!!! :D I never thought that it was a reverse sneeze! Could it be that they have allergies?? The shear look of terror on Briggs' face, it's pricless. :eek: Our pups are sure fun :p aren't they?!?!?

melanie
June 30th, 2004, 06:53 PM
just got back from vet, oh boy. well charlie had an accident years ago that affected throat. the scaring has caused her osophagas and trachea to weaken and near collapse, and it is inflamed. the vet tested her throat and said even with manipulation you should not be able to get a cough response out of a dog like charlie did so it is very weak and inflamed. vet said she is no longer allowed to run in the mornings as her body cannot cope and is struggling for oxygen(she has been sitting down often at begining of run, vet said a reaction to no oxygen i thought she was being lazy) so no more running just walking. vet said be careful and watch breathing as it could collapse at any time, helllll. and also she had a lump they tested it and said perhaps the C word, i refuse to listen, it is not possible that my baby could have that, it just isnt, no i wont hear that. they will let me know this afternoon. . she is my angel, when she looks at me the sun rises in my heart, i love her so much. the vet commented on how close we are, she was very surprised at charlies reaction and love for me, she said she had not seen many relationships like it, oh my baby. so poor girl is getting old, the vet said i need to realise that she is no spring chicken and start treating her as such, ahhhhhh. so no more runs, she will be miffed about that one. got anit inflamatories for throat, liver flavor so she is looking at them like snax, silly girl. boy do i feel bad now, making her run like that, what a bitch i am, poor girl. well she will be pampered all day. thank you all for your thoughts and good vibes, it will help her no end. i will let you all know of the test results later, send good vibes or whatever you are into, it will all help

chico2
June 30th, 2004, 07:09 PM
Awwww Mel,it must be so very difficult,I am sure you have told us before,but what kind of dog is Charlie? How old?
He must be a wonderful dog and friend,we'll hope and pray it is not C....poor Charlie,poor Melanie :( but hopefully it's just a fatty cyst,or something like it...

melanie
June 30th, 2004, 07:30 PM
my little angel charlie is a girl. she is 8 year old and a GDSX she had a rough start to life with the BYB's she was with. the vet said i am lucky she knows when to stop running naturally, had she been pushed i could have killed her as she cant breath properly. well no more, thank you for you kind wishes. she is now all wrapped up in bed and getting a big kiss on the nose every 2 mins, she is just such a love. she has a fatty cyst on her side that is ok and not a problem, it is the funny lump on her back that they are worried for, ahhh bugger.will keep you updated. :(

glasslass
June 30th, 2004, 08:42 PM
I just read this thread. I'm so sorry to hear about Charlie's troubles. I bet she's loving the pampering though! There's no relationship like it! Only another dog-lover understands it and we all are feeling for you. :) Think positive!

Luba
June 30th, 2004, 09:02 PM
Mels you are a wonderful mommie! I am so happy that Charlie has you and you have her!

(HUGS)

My Rusty had a collapsing Trachea and bronchitis and it really did sound awful and had me worried so many times. I always thought 'is this the time' that it's gonna happen....when he can't breath at all.

I'm sorry she won't be able to play and run like before. There should be something that you can give ...maybe herbal that will stop or reduce inflammation.

I wonder, if something like Glucosamine would help on the inflammation level? What do you think?

Do you have any naturopathic vets near you that maybe you can talk with?

I did some searching and found this for you:

http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/health/herbs.htm
Aloe vera and calendula (marigold) for inflammation of intestine and throat

*Aloe vera is very cheap and you can get a big bottle of it for next to nothing
I use it myself all the time! It's not just for burns anymore (lol)

I wish there were something more I could do or offer. If I come up with any brainy ideas I will let you know asap.

As far as keeping calm, you have to or she will know you're nervous then will make it worse for her.

Poor baby!!

This is an old trick I used to use on Rusty, see if it works for Charlie
It used to work for Rusty ALL the time. Make a really really strong bowl of coffee like three tablespoons of coffee black in hot water steaming. Sit on the floor with a big towel and put her head under it so she breaths the steam of the coffee in. Don't let her get too close for the steam to burn her nose but coffee actually helps reduce the inflammation and open the airway. Not kidding!

Ask your vet also about a drug called Theodur (sp) been awhile! It helped almost instantly but made Rusty very hyper spaz!

Nearing the end when Rusty's immunity was breaking down because of cancer that we didnt' know about I had him use inhalers and me and the vet fastened an O2 mask to the chamber then the chamber to the inhaler and well it worked!

BIG hugs
(((((Charlie and Mels))))

melanie
July 1st, 2004, 06:22 AM
great ideas luba, will run them past the vet. did not get the results for those tests, vet had emergency surgery so i will find out first thing tomorrow. charlie is doing ok at moment, a bit snorty but ok. just terrifies me that the vet said i could have killed her, funny that, reminds me of the saying killing it with kindness. she is all wrapped up and being loved like nothing else, it is just going to be really hard changing our excersise, we have always been runners so now we become walkers, it will take time but we will adjust. my family is very worried. my beautiful father said he would give me any money i need, he said she is his family and he will do anything for her, gosh i love him, he was really upset though and had a tear in his eye. we call him grandad dog and mum nana dog. charlie adores them and they came up to see her straight away when they heard (2hr drive for them). i am so glad to have you guys, it is just so reassuring to have someone with advice and kind calming words. charlie and i thank you all from the bottom of my hearts. will keep you posted.

sammiec
July 1st, 2004, 07:13 AM
Awww Mel!!! I'm sorry to hear about Charlie!!! She's definately in good hands though!!! Best of luck!!!

daisy18216
July 1st, 2004, 08:02 AM
Mel,I'm soo sorryto hear about Charlie. I just read this thread now.

She is in very good hands with you, and I hope everything goes well.

Sending good thoughts and vibes your way.

Please keep us updated.

chico2
July 1st, 2004, 08:30 AM
Well Mel,if love could heal all,Charlie would be the healthiest dog,I am happy you have wonderful support from your mom and dad...
Although not a dog-owner,but an animal-lover period,I can fully understand your anxiety and pain.
I can feel all the positive vibes flowing to Charlie all the way to Aussie-country....Big hug to Charlie and you!!!

Luba
July 1st, 2004, 02:42 PM
In the meantime while waiting for the test results from the vet, try the coffee :D I hope it helps!

Aloe won't do any harm and will soothe an inflammed throat. You can mix a teaspoon of aloe with some yogurth ;) yum!! Double duty, promote healthy bacteria,soothe and reduce swelling>>>>>YIPPIE!

wAggie
July 1st, 2004, 04:26 PM
ooohhhh melanie... and poor charlieeee :(

*HUGS* and MOOOOORE *HUGS* to you two!!!

... however, i'm a bit confused on the coffee part. i believed it was TEA that's good for the nasal passages, same as hot showers, etc.... that's it's really the steam that helps and pills can do the same thing in about the same time.

all that i've heard about coffee is extremely circumstancial... it's controvercial. what's good in coffee that could help Charlie, Luba?? there's PLENTY of bad in coffee, from what i heard/read... :confused:

Kari
July 1st, 2004, 05:12 PM
I am sooo Sorry to hear about Charlies troubles also, but Im so happy for both of you that you have each other ;) and because of this thread I now uderstand whats going on when my 11 yo GSDX does that snorting/coughing/gasping thing!
It is atleast a good thing that you know now what is causing it so you can help her live as healthy as possible........ the dog we had when I was younger had the same trouble, but it wasnt diagnosed until it was too late - that last attack he jsut couldnt catch his breath anymore and mouth started turning blue when we rushed him in to the emergency vet.
I hope you and Charlie have eachother for a long time yet, but no matter what, her problems have helped me (and probably others) recognize a symptom to a potential problem. Thank you

glasslass
July 1st, 2004, 07:21 PM
It's no wonder you're an animal lover Mel. Growing up with parents like that! They sound wonderful! Please keep us updated on what the vet says! :)

Luba
July 1st, 2004, 07:25 PM
The dog's not drinkin the coffee just breathing it in and it DOES work! I used it for 6 years on my dog.

It acts almost the same as a broncial dilator, which is what is given to those who suffer asthma. It's properties are somewhat similar to that of antiinflammatory drugs.

Which is why it helps for people with severe migraines to have a strong cup of coffee. It dilates the blood vessels in the brain allowing O2 and blood to flow more. ;)

glasslass
July 1st, 2004, 08:48 PM
"I" had problems with bronchial asthma last fall. Never had it before. Not being able to breathe is terrifying! Does that work for people? Breathe it or drink it? I had dilators but could only use them every so many hours and the effects would wear off. Couldn't lay down, had to sit up to breathe. If coffee helps, who cares about it keeping me awake!
Didn't mean to get off track with this but what you suggested excited me!

Luba
July 1st, 2004, 10:01 PM
'lass I think it would work for you!!

I suggested it once to my neighbour who has bronchial asthma and he ended up using coffee as a preventative because he was very scared one day having an attack. I made him a strong cup of black coffee and made him drink it while it was still very warm but not enough to burn his throat. It did help him breath better yes.

I wouldn't recommend this to someone with a irregular heart beat because the coffee (caffeine) can give you an increased heart rate.

Oddly enough, so do the bronchial meds too ;)

Not being able to breath is terrifying. I had the experience myself last year when I lifted and pulled something very heavy...damaged my core ab muscles which prevented me from taking deep breaths. It was horrifying!! Docs not knowing what it was made it more horrifying. Took months to heal!!

So I know how horrible it is to not be able to breath, then you panic and it gets worse! I hope you don't face another attack 'Lass.

Edited to add:

http://www.cookscorner.net/DidYouKnowCoffee.html
Caffeine stimulates the heart and respiratory systems, the central nervous system, cardiac muscles, and is also diuretic. As a stimulant coffee has a very fast reaction time. Coffee increases mental alertness and activity which can improve reaction time such as driving. Coffee was originally used as a medicine to treat asthma, hay fever and depression. Coffee helps relax the bronchial muscles which help to relieve asthma attacks. Caffeine increases the potency of medicines such as aspirin. It is used in treating migraines by constricting the dilated blood vessels and thereby reduces the pain

Catt31
July 1st, 2004, 10:11 PM
I'll have a strong cup of coffee, black, with a side of doggie biscuits please!!!

Luba
July 1st, 2004, 10:15 PM
You funny head!

What flavour, liver or bacon? :p

glasslass
July 2nd, 2004, 12:27 AM
Does it have to be black? I like my coffee but with cream. I can give up the sugar. Usually, I just have 2 mugs in the morning. Those first few sips are soooo good! :rolleyes:
What I was drinking when I was having a hard time was a cup of hot chicken bouillon with generous amount of tabasco sauce (enough for a good bite) and a good squeeze of fresh lemon juice. I couldn't :o drink too much of it though because it gave me heartburn.

melanie
July 4th, 2004, 05:07 PM
well it is monday and all is ok. charlie is taking her medicine and resting it up a little. got test results, no cancer just inflamations cells, will get those little lumps knocked off next week. so that is great. she is still coughing and sneezing a bit, getting better though. she went away over the weekend to her favourite humans place and visited with the kids so she had a great time, how many dogs get their own pair of 2 year old girls to dress up with. so she had a good one. it is school holidays so brought her home a kid to so she can play with him. had her in the shower with me today, well she sat in the bathoom anyway, while it got all streamy, dont know if i t helps but trying, also got a list of aromatherapy and natropathic remedies on the weekend for throats. will let you know how i go.
just went ofr a walk, not so good at it yet, she is good walker but used to running so keeps trying to take of at a run after intersections and stuff, we will fix it thought. thanks again guys, i will keep you all posted

Luba
July 4th, 2004, 05:39 PM
Mels I am so happy for you and Charlie girl! :D

Inflammation cells? hmmm What could that be, did the vet tell you?

So it's still Sunday here, let me know how today goes for you, so I'll be prepared for tomorrow lol :p

wAggie
July 10th, 2004, 06:16 PM
tell that human to drink so COKE ;)

melanie
July 10th, 2004, 06:45 PM
charlie is feeling better at the moment. the swelling of the trachea has gone down, but she still has a cough, and snorts when eating, poor girl. she does not like the walking yet, actually i think she hates it, we have always run everywhere, so it will take time to get her into it. tried the coffee, i think i need a little paractice at that one, i was thinking of boiling water with eucaltyptus in it on the stove and keeping her in the kitchen, i might give coffee a go to jsut to see what happens when it is boiled as opposed to trying to get her to stay still long enough to sniff it. but she is currently flying around the house like a true spastic at 100miles an hour with the kid, so she is very happy at the moment but not runnig just jumping around and she seems fine, the kid knows not to run her as well and he is good about it., it is just hard to get the two of them settled, but she is happy and that is what i want..the inflamation cells the vet spoke of, well she didnt tell me anymore, she said she couldnt find anything more than inflamation cells. she thinks it was a small lump and misy has been biting and scratching so it got infected. the vet said not to worry about it and leave it forever as it was not a threat, but i am having it removed next week, jsut to be sure, and it is only little so they can get it with a local i hope, so it wont be big drama for her, better safe than sorry. so we are all returning to normal, she is still a little clingy but that is all. will keep you posted, boy that was a scare for me, i hate it when those things happen ,and it is so rarely it is always a little nightmare.
thank you, thank you, thank you, you are all so beautiful and caring, just wonderful and i am so glad i have you all here.

sammiec
July 12th, 2004, 08:15 AM
Mel you're such a great mom!!! Charlie is very lucky!!! Good luck, but I don't think you need it, seems like you have everything under control!! :p