Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Stray cat found and being adopted

YadkinSupremo
May 19th, 2008, 07:50 PM
A stray cat showed up at my house a couple months ago. My children began feeding it and it stayed. It hangs around outside and hasn't left the premises. It is obviously an abandoned pet because it has no fear of us and has sneaked in the house a couple times. My question is this, if we decide to keep/adopt this cat what should I do veterinarian wise? I assume it has had some shots and probably been spayed. It's a female and there are no tom cats hanging around. Any advice input will be appreciated. I own a dog, but I know absolutely nothing about cats.

Frenchy
May 19th, 2008, 07:57 PM
I would take this kitty for a check up , if she doesn't show any health issues , a basic check up should do , thanks for rescuing her ! :thumbs up

onster
May 19th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Thanks for taking care of this kitty and thinking of taking it in. Youre an :angel::cat:

First thing at the vet would be to check for a microchip, it is possible that this kitty just got away from home. Also, if there is a local spca/humane society I would notify them as perhaps its old owners are looking for it.

Assuming no microchip and no one looking for it, you would actually have to go ahead with a full set of vaccines. Although it may have been vaccinated before, with no history there is no way of telling really. Your vet should be able to tell you if she is spayed or not, obviously if not she will need to be spayed.

Also, since she was outside for so long, a fecal test checking for worms and/or deworming tablets might be in order. Hopefully she has no fleas :fingerscr

At first it is a bit of an expense, but hopefully she is already spayed and worms are pretty cheap to get rid of. Vaccines and check up may be a bit costly at first but its a once a year thing, if it all. Many dont vaccinate that often. The vet should be able to advise you on this and also inform u of your local laws (in some places rabbies is mandatory every year)

Would love to see a picture and welcome to the boards!!! Silly me, should have said that at the begining :crazy:

Please let us know what you decide...I do have to say tho that time is of the essence. Considering she's very friendly it should be easy to get her looked at..its very dangerous for outdoor kitties :sad:

ancientgirl
May 19th, 2008, 08:15 PM
I second Onster. Kitty should at least get to the vet for a check up. The vet will likely look for a spaying scar.

Thank you for taking her in. One more kitty with a home out of the many without.

kashtin's kin
May 19th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Welcome, Yadkin Supremo. Onster really gave you some comprehensive and good advice, as well as the other dependable BB folks who posted above. As mentioned, it will cost a bit for the initial vet check, but it's a good investment re: cat health (i.e. with unknown history) and your peace of mind. I'm always wincing over bills, what with 5 indoor cats/2 dogs/2 feral-friendly cats/2 ponies!! :D, but hopefully you have or can find a vet with reasonable prices...and who is 'good'.

When having feral (and other) cats spayed/neutered, I found there is a real range in costs, without being related to the competency etc. of the vet/clinic. Having 'overpaid' a LOT at first, I'm now at a great clinic with much lower fees...in the same area! So it does pay to shop around!

I will also echo the above posters in thanking you for giving a cat a home, and being responsible re: health. There are never enough cat :angel: for all the cats in this world; even taking in one cat and making sure it is spayed/neutered et al. helps a lot, so a big 'pat on the back' for your decision. And this BB is a great place to start, especially if you're just learning how to 'talk cat' :D.

It's amazing how cats actually educate US...I went from being the slave of one or 2 indoor cats to caretaking a very small feral colony, and having more indoor felines...and those furbuddies were always incredibly willing to supervise me! They don't mince words when it comes to letting you know what they want; it's amazing how one learns to 'serve' the cats in one's care just by reading the looks they give one :rolleyes:.

And, if you need any help with interpretation (or practical details), there are always people here to give you a hand. As a person who USED to be more dog/PONY-oriented, I've found that cats are not really the aloof creatures that they are often portrayed as. Of course, cats come in every shape and personality, but in general I've found the vast majority to be very loving and 'interactive'.

Even the feral cats who would barely let me catch a glimpse of them at first
have-after a year or so of gradually getting closer!-turned out to be total lovemuffins. This is not true of all feral cats, but if wild felines can learn to trust, think how far ahead you are with a 'friendly stray' :cat:! Here's hoping your cat experience goes as well as possible...keep in touch with the BB via your thread, and you'll be amazed at how much it adds to your life!

I've had tons of encouragement/advice/words of support since first posting, which is why I try to sort of 'pass it on'; this BB in particular just has a lot of kind and knowledgable people. Just one word of warning...learn to post pictures if possible, as it really helps BBer's know you/your critter[s]. We loooove those pics :thumbs up.

kathryn
May 19th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Hey!! That's how I found my kitty too!

My cat gave me a wonderful present(s) though; babies!! I kept 2 and gave the other to my grandmom.

If she's friendly enough you can probably flip her over yourself and look at her belly to see if you can see a scar. Your going to have to take her to the vet of course anyways but it will settle your curiosity until you can get there.

It's not expensive at all; don't be deterred of the prices. I did this FIVE TIMES. I bring home stray cats and my mom lets me keep them, and the first one was preggers and she let me have the 2 kittens, and then I found 4 more kitties and brought them home!! So I've paid *not really my mom did:D* for 2 spays and 5 neuters plus all appropriate shots and vet exams. So it's really not that bad. Once the initial stuffs is done it's a whole year or more until you will even see another vet bill (if their health is good and no injuries!)

It's really rewarding so please go for it! If your dog doesn't like the cat at first give it time. Unless the dog physically tries to actually attack or bite the cat with malice, give it time. They will probably hate each other at first but they will get over it.

Good luck... stray cats are the best kinda cats in my opinion :thumbs up they are so happy to be in a home and give so much love!