Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Flea, TIck, and Mosquito control

DoodleMan
May 19th, 2008, 10:59 AM
Good Morning,
Being that it is becoming mosquito season, I am looking for a product that will repel mosquitoes. I know K9 Advantix repels and kills mosquitoes as well as fleas and ticks. In Arizona, mosquitoes seem to be the main problem. I have a greenbelt outside my house which gets flooded in the mornings from watering and it seems to be harboring mosquitoes. I currently use herbal collars on the boys, but it seems like they have been itching a lot as of late (since appearance of numerous mosquitoes).

My question is, what do you all recommend for pest control on dogs? I know frontline does not repel or kill mosquitoes, but I have also heard that this is safer for dogs. I have my dogs on holistic diets and do not want to be adding chemicals which can make them sick. Are there any other products out there that would help to control mosquitoes? I tried applying an herbal spray with neem and neem oil, but this did not seem to help much. I am not 100% positive that the recent itching is from mosquitoes, but it sure seems that way.

Do any of you have experience with frontline or k9 advantix?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thank you,

want4rain
May 19th, 2008, 11:51 AM
uh..... catnip is reputed to have excellent mosquito repelling properties. make a tea from the dried leaves and spray it on before they go out?? cinnamon? hmm... garlic added to their diet?

-ash

Frenchy
May 19th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Repelling mosquitos : get some "Skin so Soft" bath oil from Avon and spread some on your animals once every few days. I use it on my dogs and on me too. Works great and smells nice too :thumbs up

jessi76
May 19th, 2008, 12:08 PM
the only warning my vet had against K9 advantix was if I had cats, and if they were in close contact with my dog.... The K9 advantix is good, but extremely dangerous to cats. since I have 2 cats, who often snuggle w/ my dog, I only use Frontline plus (which doesn't do anything for mosquitos). sorry i don't have any suggestions, just a little FYI about the K9 Adv. being very toxic to cats if they come into close contact w/ it. but if you don't have cats, it may be the better choice.

Dr Lee
May 19th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Frontline and K9 Advantix.

I am a big Frontline fan because of its safety, efficacy, and complete resistance to sunlight degradation and being waterproof; however it has absolutely no repelling ability whatsoever and has no impact on mosquitoes.

K9 Advantix is a good product however two things need to be considered. First the repelling ability lasts by most accounts only 2 weeks and its flea and tick killing ability depreciates a fair bit at the end of a month, especially when compared to Frontline.

Avon Skin So Soft is an off label mosquito repellent that is used in people and dogs. I have not heard of any ill effects at this time.

Most vets recommend pyrethrins but I know this is likely the type of stuff you are trying to avoid?

It is recommended to avoid any DEET containing repellents as dogs and cats are sensitive to DEET and may exhibit neurologic signs.

Also there are two holistic options that are commonly used in people but are technically toxic in dogs and cats. (I do have clients that uses these in their pets against my objections).

Melaleuca also known as tea tree oil contains terpenes, sesquiterpenes, and hydrocarbons. Cats appear to be more sensitive than dogs. These can lead to liver damage and neurologic dysfunction. There has been several cases of tea tree oil toxicity, including one death in a cat. Yes, there are many commercially available tea tree oil pet products and while I do know many people that swear by it with their pets, at this point I think tea tree oil requires additional study regarding beneficial effects and safe doses before sanctioning its use in dogs and cats. Here are journal references...

Bischoff, K. and Guale, F. (1998). Australian tea tree (Melaleuca alternifolia) oil poisoning in three purebred cats. Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation 10, 208-210.

Fitzi, J., Furst, J. J., Wegener, T., Saller, R., and Reichling, J. (2002). Phytotherapy of chronic dermatitis and pruritus of dogs with a topical preparation containing tea tree oil (Bogaskin). Schweizer Archiv fur Tierheilkunde 144, 223-231.

Kaluzienski, M. (2000). Partial paralysis and altered behavior in dogs treated with Melaleuca Oil. Journal-of-Toxicology-Clinical-Toxicology.[print] August, 2000;38, 518-519.

Villar, D., Knight, M. J., Hansen, S. R., and Buck, W. B. (1994). Toxicity of melaleuca oil and related essential oils applied topically on dogs and cats. Vet.Hum.Toxicol. 36, 139-142.

Pennyroyal toxicity or pulegone toxicity appears to be a dose dependent toxicity has been associated with both canine and feline deaths. This one is very dangerous. Liver necrosis and death can occur from topical exposure in dogs.

I hope I didn't stray off from your question too much but since you brought up the question on mosquitoes came up....

Final thought - except for Revolution, all of the topical mosquito/tick/flea medications do NOT prevent heartworm disease. So concurrent use with Heartgard or other heartworm prevention is recommended. :pawprint:

want4rain
May 19th, 2008, 12:21 PM
you know, i use to use SOS all the time but i got to reading about BHT.... not sure if this link will work but make sure you click on the 'show more' off to the left next to the studies.

http://www.cosmeticdatabase.com/ingredient.php?ingred06=700741&refurl=%2Fproduct.php%3Fprod_id%3D60465%26

look at your own free will. *sigh* i dont wear much cosmetics anymore!

-ashley

Frenchy
May 19th, 2008, 12:30 PM
SOS ? That is not skin so soft ? (SSS) :confused: I looked at your link and couldn't find anything on skin so soft.

rainbow
May 19th, 2008, 12:42 PM
SOS ? That is not skin so soft ? (SSS) :confused: I looked at your link and couldn't find anything on skin so soft.

This is what the website says about Skin So Soft Original Bath Oil Spray. It also lists all the other Skin So Soft products if you do a search.....

http://www.cosmeticdatabase.com/product.php?prod_id=60465

want4rain
May 19th, 2008, 01:24 PM

look Frenchy, ive famed my dorkdom a million times on this site!! :rolleyes: dont you guys speak 'Ashley' yet?? :laughing:

-ashley

DoodleMan
May 19th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Thank you all for your thoughts. Thank you Dr. Lee for that information on Tea Tree Oil. The spray I used on them this past Saturday contained the following ingredients: Aqueous Extract of Azadirachta Indica (Neem) Leaf*, Aloe Barbadensis Gel*, Azadirachta Indica (Neem) Oil*, Citrus Aurantium Bergamia (Bergamot) Fruit Oil, Juniperus Mexicana (Cedarwood) Oil, Eucalyptus Globulus Leaf Oil, Lavandula Hybridia Oil, Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Peel Oil, Citrus Cymbopogon Schoenanthus (Lemongrass) Oil, Sodium Acrylate Crosspolymer, Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil, Thymus Zygis (White Thyme) Oil.

This does contain tea tree oil so I will stop using it. I am still not sure what to do. Both dogs are on heartworm preventatives (heartgard plus and interceptor).

Has anyone tried the avon products containing IR3535 or Picaridin? These products are specifically for bug repellant purposes, but they are still chemicals. I know cutter brand has a product with picaridin. Does anyone have experience using these products on dogs, any safety concerns?

Thank you

want4rain
May 19th, 2008, 02:46 PM
hmm.... and thats a pet friendly bug spray? it contains several antifungal/antibacterial oils in it that i think are unnecessary.

take a peek at this-
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/nwgardens/90412_lovejoy10.shtml

ima pretty big fan of going natural. DEET scares the snot out of me so we are trying the catnip infused with apple cider vinegar. let ya know when we get it finished!!!

thanks Dr Lee, i almost missed that post by posting right after it!!!

-ash

Frenchy
May 19th, 2008, 05:06 PM
look Frenchy, ive famed my dorkdom a million times on this site!! :rolleyes: dont you guys speak 'Ashley' yet?? :laughing:

-ashley

I was wondering why people would put SOS on themselves (they used to sell a product named SOS , like Ajax , to scrub sinks and baths) :laughing:

rainbow
May 19th, 2008, 05:22 PM
I was wondering why people would put SOS on themselves (they used to sell a product named SOS , like Ajax , to scrub sinks and baths) :laughing:

And, they still sell them.....I've got some under my kitchen sink. :D

Frenchy
May 19th, 2008, 05:23 PM
And, they still sell them.....I've got some under my kitchen sink. :D

:laughing:

DoodleMan
May 22nd, 2008, 11:07 AM
For those of you using frontline, do you use the plus or topspot?

Thank you

happycats
May 22nd, 2008, 11:19 AM
My vet recommended revolution, so that's what I am using.

As for repellants, I heard bounce sheets (the real bounce, not knock offs) work great for repelling mosquitoes. You rub the pet with a fresh sheet, and even tie one on the collar. It also makes your dog smell fresh and clean ;)

Wolff-jigs
May 26th, 2010, 11:04 PM
I know frontline does not repel or kill mosquitoes, but I have also heard that this is safer for dogs. I have my dogs on holistic diets and do not want to be adding chemicals which can make them sick. Are there any other products out there that would help to control mosquitoes? ,

My vet started me on frontline with Jigs on the first visit, I have no fleas but ticks can be an issue. I have him on heartworm preventative, so mosquitos are not as much of a worry.
I noticed my sinuses would "close up" at times and get stuffy, I finally figured out it was the frontline and it started when I got near his head.
The stuff had this effect on my sinus for the whole four weeks it's supposed to be active.
I stopped buying it and that symptom went away.

I was almost going to buy it just to avoid ticks but then I read about the active ingredient Fipronil I think, and what I read about it decided for me to not buy it.
Yes, all such products are poisons, thats how they kill fleas and ticks, some are more poison than others, all probably contribute to various cancers and other health issues.
My house has all ceramic tile flooring, so I have not had fleas in 20 years at least, they can't get established and they can't survive. I vacuum and mop with bleach.

I don't like "chemicals" either on my dogs, happily I never need flea products.

I don't know what herbals will work, probably none of them really work very effectively, especially over time after appication.

I do spritz mine with that herbal water based Pal Dog Freshen-Up Spray, it just smells so GREAT! I dont think it repels anything but it does smell nice :)

Someone else said:
As for repellants, I heard bounce sheets (the real bounce, not knock offs) work great for repelling mosquitoes. You rub the pet with a fresh sheet, and even tie one on the collar. It also makes your dog smell fresh and clean

Sort of related, after I read what is in the anti static dryer sheets I stopped using them, turns out they coat your clothes and inside of the dryer with some pretty bad chemicals, I have a hunch the fabric softener sheets have chemicals in them that would be an eye opener, I should look it up and see.

ADDED:

Just looked a bit, found this:

distributed by Environmental Health Network
Chemicals found in fabric softeners by U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
"Identification of Polar Volatile Organic Compounds in Consumer Products and Common Microenvironments", 1991
Reference: Lance Wallace, EPA. Phone (703) 648-4287

Symptoms of exposure are taken from industry-generated Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS)

Chemicals Found in Fabric Softeners/Dryer Sheets

Alpha-Terpineol

Causes CNS (central nervous system) disorders... "highly irritating to mucous membranes" ..."Aspiration into the lungs can produce pneumonitis or even fatal edema." Can also cause "excitement, ataxia (loss of muscular coordination), hypothermia, CNS and respiratory depression, and headache." "Prevent repeated or prolonged skin contact."

Benzyl Acetate

Carconigenic (linked to pancreatic cancer). "From vapors: irritating to eyes and respiratory passages, exciting cough." "In mice: hyperanemia of the lungs." "Can be absorbed through the skin causing systemic effects." "Do not flush to sewer."

Benzyl Alcohol

Causes CNS disorders ..."irritating to the upper respiratory tract" ..."headache, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, drop in blood pressure, CNS depression, and death in severe cases due to respiratory failure."

Camphor

Causes CNS disorders. On EPA's Hazardous Waste list. Symptoms: "local irritant and CNS stimulant" ..."readily absorbed through body tissues" ..."irritation of eyes, nose, and throat" ..."dizziness, confusion, nausea, twitching muscles and convulsions". "Avoid inhalation of vapors."

Chloroform

Neurotoxic. Anesthetic. Carcinogenic. on EPA's Hazardous Waste list. "Avoid contact with eyes, skin, clothing. Do not breathe vapors ...Inhalation of vapors may cause headache, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, drowsiness, irritation of respiratory tract and loss of consciousness." "Inhalation can be fatal." "Chronic effects of overexposure may include kidney and/or liver damage." "Medical conditions generally aggravated by exposure: kidney disorders, liver disorders, heart disorders, skin disorders." "Conditions to avoid: Heat..." Listed on California's Proposition 65.

Ethyl Acetate

Narcotic. On EPA's Hazardous Waste list. "...Irritating to the eyes and respiratory tract" ..."may cause headache and narcosis (stupor)" ..."may cause anemia with leukocytosis and damage to liver and kidneys". "Wash thoroughly after handling."

Limonene

Carcinogenic. "Prevent its contact with skin or eyes because it is an irritant and sensitizer." "Always wash thoroughly after using this material and before eating, drinking ...applying cosmetics. Do not inhale limonene vapor."

Linalool

Narcotic. Causes CNS disorders. ..."respiratory disturbances" ..."Attracts bees." "In animal tests: ataxic gait, reduced spontaneous motor activity and depression ...depressed heart activity ...development of respiratory disturbances leading to death."

Pentane

"Danger - Harmful if inhaled ...Avoid breathing vapor." "Inhalation of vapors may cause headache, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, drowsiness, irritation of respiratory tract and loss of consciousness. Repeated inhalation of vapors may cause CNS depression. Contact can cause eye irritation. Prolonged exposure may cause dermatitis (skin rash)."

hazelrunpack
May 26th, 2010, 11:10 PM
We have a real issue with ticks here, too, Wolff-jigs. Just out of curiosity, what did you settle on for tick protection?