Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Fenced dog park in Durham ?

Kashi
May 19th, 2008, 11:45 AM
I am apparently quite inept at google searches today :wall:

Anyhow - I know that part of Greenwood in Ajax is leash-free, and I'm sure we'll check it out eventually, but I'm looking for something closer to home.

We're in south Oshawa.

I've been told about a place at Rossland & Grandview - I don't know if it's fenced in though.

Are there others ?

mafiaprincess
May 19th, 2008, 02:42 PM
There aren't honestly. I hate Greenwood, last time I was there it left much to be desired, it is also not fenced. I go to Harmony Creek which is what I assume you are referring to, it isn't fenced either, and I've known peopel who have been ticketed for off leash dogs there, technically it's a tiny conservation area. I asked some time ago and got a phone number to apparently a limited access park more north, I couldn't be bothered at having to call to learn about it though. Greenwood is the only thing around that is technically a dog park.. If you want fencing you'd have to go to Markham, I'd think that would be the closest. We're members of Toroadacta in Mississauga, but with gas prices way up, we haven't gone since last year.

Kashi
May 19th, 2008, 03:39 PM
There aren't honestly. I hate Greenwood, last time I was there it left much to be desired, it is also not fenced. I go to Harmony Creek which is what I assume you are referring to, it isn't fenced either, and I've known peopel who have been ticketed for off leash dogs there, technically it's a tiny conservation area. I asked some time ago and got a phone number to apparently a limited access park more north, I couldn't be bothered at having to call to learn about it though. Greenwood is the only thing around that is technically a dog park.. If you want fencing you'd have to go to Markham, I'd think that would be the closest. We're members of Toroadacta in Mississauga, but with gas prices way up, we haven't gone since last year.

We went to Harmony Creek today, actually.
There are areas that have signs about being off-leash, I don't see how you could get a ticket for having your dog off-leash if you are within that area.

Byrd
May 19th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Twenty-five of the seventy-five acres of Harmony Valley are a legalized off leash park, however, it is not fenced in completely. We used to go there before it was an 'official' leash-free zone and never had an issue. The dog walkers tried to get the whole park, but didn't, still 25 acres is good.

It's the only off leash park in the area. A lot of dog walkers do go to the Darlington Nuc Plant fields and also to the area behind Ice Sports in the south end to swim their dogs... I go there quite a bit.... again, none of them are fenced in.

Kashi
May 19th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Twenty-five of the seventy-five acres of Harmony Valley are a legalized off leash park, however, it is not fenced in completely. We used to go there before it was an 'official' leash-free zone and never had an issue. The dog walkers tried to get the whole park, but didn't, still 25 acres is good.

It's the only off leash park in the area. A lot of dog walkers do go to the Darlington Nuc Plant fields and also to the area behind Ice Sports in the south end to swim their dogs... I go there quite a bit.... again, none of them are fenced in.

Wow - I didn't realize so much of Harmony Valley were off-leash.
Pugsley kind of disappeared on us at first - he's so short that we couldn't see him at all in the brush.

Much easier on our human emotions in the more meadow-y area though. Nice and open, and a few dogs to play with too.

I'm not as fussed about being fenced in if it's a nice open area where I can see him - he does great running at my in-laws place with their dog. It's more of a farm setting, no fence.

He just adores playing with other dogs - mostly larger dogs. I swear he thinks he's a Mastiff some days. Or at least a Lab.

Makes me wish we had the space to have a second dog here.

mafiaprincess
May 19th, 2008, 06:29 PM
I didn't realize it had changed. I haven't been in maybe a year. Not in Smudge's lifetime at least. We met up with too many problem dogs. People used to complain from time to time about being ticketed, didn't realize it had changed and actually become offleash.

Masha
May 19th, 2008, 07:16 PM
We go to Greenwood every weekend, we really enjoy this place. There is an official off leash area and there are also kilometers of wooded trails, its wonderful. There is also a river among these trails where the dogs can cool down. The trails are not officially leash free but majority of people there keep their dogs off leash. Its not fenced in though so it depends on how comfortable you are with your dog not running away. Otherwise it is very clean there and not crowded at all.

Kashi
May 19th, 2008, 07:31 PM
I'd love to let him run in the trails, but he's more likely to go find another dog to play with than to stay where I can see him.

So, Greenwood will have to remain on-leash for us, or wait.

Is the official off-leash area fenced at all ? Or is it trails and brush too ?

Masha
May 19th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Nope, the leash free area is not fenced in. It is surrounded by wooded areas where the trails are.

We used to go to a dog park in Markham. It is a fully fenced-in area with doggy bags and drinking water available too. But it is not a place where you can walk with him, it is more of a place where he can just run and play with other dogs. We had to stop going there because our guy took a liking to humping other dogs (he is not neutred yet), otherwise we would still be going there once in a while as its much closer to us.

Kashi
May 19th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Markham is too far to go for a place to let Pugs run.
It sounds nice though.

I think for now, we'll stick with Harmony Creek's meadowy area, and just keep really working on his recall.

He is one very tuckered pup tonight though - he had a blast playing with the others.

Kashi
May 19th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Nope, the leash free area is not fenced in. It is surrounded by wooded areas where the trails are.

Is it an open area ?

Masha
May 19th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Here is a photo from a few weeks back, in the left portion of the photo you can see a few dogs playing; thats where most owners gather in the leash free area if they want their dogs to play, others go into the trails surrounding the area. There are some trails that are in an open area, but the majority are in a wooded area. The signs that you can see in this photo is where the off leash area ends.

Kashi
May 19th, 2008, 09:00 PM
Thank you for the photo, Masha.

The area you show is pretty open, at least enough to keep Pugsley in sight.

We'll definitely have to check it out.

Thank you !