Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hello from Cochrane.

Jacinthe
May 18th, 2008, 03:07 AM
Hey everyone!
My name is Jacinthe and I own a one year old Boston Terrier named Bruiser. He is quite the character but I love him to death. Joined the site to get some tips on how to train him since we seem to be having some problems in certain areas. Bruiser refuses to stay by himself, even for an hour. He is very attached to me and if I am not around he sometimes worries so much to the point that it makes him sick. He is also an sucker for attention. If I bring him anywhere he wants everyone to pet him but he tend to jump on people because he really likes to lick. He is very strong and sometimes I have a hard time holding him back. I have tried numerous things to try and get him out of his "bad habits" but nothing seems to work with him. Maybe i'm not doing it right? Anyways, I look forward to learning more about this site and hope to get to know some of you people.

Ciao!
Jacinthe

erykah1310
May 18th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Hello fellow Northerner (well you are REALLY a Northerner compared to me but still)

I dont really have much advice, but I am sure someone on here will have some excellent tips and pointers in time.

Have you done Obedience training with him? A good trainer will help you work on the manners ( jumping) as for the seperation anxiety, I haven't had much experience in that department myself, but many have.

Good luck and once again welcome!

rainbow
May 18th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Welcome to pets.ca :thumbs up

I agree.......it sounds like obedience school would be a great choice and would be benefit you both. :thumbs up As far as the separation anxiety try leaving Bruiser for 5 or 10 minutes and then coming back. Do not coddle him when you come in.....just ignore him. Then leave again for another 5 to 10 minutes and continue doing this gradually increasing the time you leave. :pawprint:

angeldogs
May 18th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Welcome to the board.
I agree It sounds like he needs Obedience Training.

Jacinthe
May 20th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the advice guys but unfortunatly there is no obedience training for dogs where I am from. It is a very small town.
I have been trying to leave him for little bits and he is not to bad the first few times I leave but if I try to leave again he litterally screams bloody murder. We live in an apartment with 3 other neighbors (walls are not very sound proof) and I try not to leave him too long so that I don't upset them. I tried to give him a kong to distract him but once in the kennel he wants nothing to do with it, out of the kennel he loves them.
I've read that some people put the cage next to their bed while they sleep would that be better since he will see that I am close by, at least until he learns to stay in the cage for a while then we can work on the being alone part or would it be best to do it all one shot?

dbg10
May 20th, 2008, 10:20 PM
Welcome, glad you joined. It sounds like Bruiser needs some obedience training. I think you will find there is information here that will help you train him. I was going to suggest giving him a stuffed animal or blanket or something soft in his kennel to make him feel at home there. If you try to make it more of an attractive place for him, you may be surprised how he settles in there. My dogs loved soft toys like a stuffed animal (in fact my golden retriever had 4 stuffed animals that he loved to death) and soft rubber toys. I haven't found the kong toys to be something my dogs liked but that may be just my dogs. I found a variety of textures in their toys let them choose what they wanted to play with. My Springer has a soft rubber carrot, soft rubber snowman and hard rubber ball that all squeak, that she loves to carry around with her. She also has a stuffed whale that she drags around at times. I always found each had a different personality and different likes and dislikes for toys and everything else. He sounds like a lovely very active puppy that needs to learn who's boss. Sometimes using treats to get appropriate behaviour works too.

I wish you luck with him, with a lot of love and patience you'll get there with him :thumbs up

otter
May 20th, 2008, 11:04 PM
Hi Jacinthe! Yipee for more Northern Ontario representation! I totally understand your "small town-no resources" situation. I live in Wawa, no vet, no obedience, yuck :yuck: The folks here can be a great resource, just bear with all the recommendations to get outside help, most people aren't familiar with just how far away resources are for us :sad:.

I wonder if there are any behaviouralists/trainers that might work over the phone with you a bit? Hee, hee, let me know if you find someone, i'd be interested too :D

You've probably read lots about leaving your pup for short periods, increasing with time, though i'm guessing given your living situation that could be difficult.... do you have a friend (with a house or better sound proofing) who would let you leave Bruiser alone at their place for short periods - bring his crate, familiar things, etc. with you, make it an exciting trip to their house, have a special toy to give him ONLY when he is alone - you leave first, then your friend gives the toy, then they leave... try for just 5 min. at first. It's a long haul to get over separation anxiety but, very important to work on it now! Steel your heart, it's gonna be painful to hear him howl for a while :sad: Remember not to make a big deal when you come back... just leave him in his crate for a while then let him out once he calms down. OK- now take what i've said with a grain of salt... my dog is 10yrs old and i've never raised a puppy of my own :D

Jacinthe
May 21st, 2008, 10:06 AM
I'm running out of imagination. Bruiser's "house" (cage) has a blanket in the bottom, his favourite pillow (which he stole from our bed) and loads of toys so it is more than comfy for him. He lays in there and plays all the time. The problem is when the door closes and "mommy" is out of sight. Seems to be the end of the world. He really likes stuffed animals with the squeaker in them but I cannot leave him alone with that. They are destroyed with 2 minutes. He picks at them until they rip apart and he can get the squeaker thing out. I'm afaid he would choke on it so he only gets those as a very special treat when I am home to watch him. I never thought of bringing him to a friends place. He really likes going to my moms house so maybe I could try that. Thanks for all the help guys. Very much appreciated. With alot of patience and love my little Bruiser will become a big boy...hahaha

Jacinthe
May 25th, 2008, 07:51 AM
Well, I decided to put the cage in my room beside my bed. I am happy to say Bruiser has been sleeping his nights in it without a fuss since Friday. Maybe it's a start. I'm so excited!!! Thanks for the help guys.