Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Retreiver with pelvic injuries

fhadley
May 17th, 2008, 10:47 PM
My retriever was ran over 8 weeks ago and sustained serious injuries to his pelvis . he was 7 months old at the time. We have sought ought out several vets including those at a leading Veterinary School. By the time we got a thorough diagnosis to the pelvic fractures ( 2 weeks) they were afraid to do surgery and do possible nerve damage, so it was decided to let things heal on their own. He has progressed slowly but surely and now walks fairly well, but he has nerve damage that seems to limit his use of his right rear leg from the hock down....he knuckles under and walks on the top of his paw. We have to use an orthotic and use padding to avoid damage to the flesh on the top of the paw. If we do not use these devices, he will get bruising and abrasions on the top surface of his paw. He does have feeling in the paw but we are getting conscerned that he has shown little improvement with the knuckling of his paw. Does anyone know what a proper interval for healing should be for such nerve damage? It has been a little over 8 weeks since his injury

Dr Lee
May 17th, 2008, 11:58 PM
There can still be improvement however at eight weeks I would have hoped to have seen more improvement than what you have described. I am sorry.

fhadley
May 18th, 2008, 08:33 AM
Thanks for the response. I'm not sure what our next step might be. In all other aspects, he is doing well. I suppose we will need to more thouroughly explore means to support and protect his paw. If anyone knows where to go for such products, it would be appreciated. We have explored several suppliers online, but haven't really found exactly what we want. A supportive bootie that prevents knuckling is our preferred device right now.