Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

OMG !! My dog is gone! :(

katherine93
May 17th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Im freaking out at the moment because my female german shepherd lab mix is gone! I was walking her today on the highway and i had my ipod on and i guess she heard something in the woods. The next thing i knew i was half in the ditch, i managed to keep myself up and i got a good grip on her leash so i wouldnt loose her. To my surprise She Snapped her Restraining collar (most people call it a choke chain but i find that that name sounds harsh) . She ran in the woods after what ever she heard and i havent seen her since. That was 4 hours ago! I called my mom and we've been out looking for her ever since. We called the highway patrol to keep a look out for her all night. Im so worried because of the coyote situation. I mean it would have to have been something like a coyote for her to freak out that much. Im so scared that i'll never find her, or i'll find her dead. I hope she doesnt get hit by a car or killed by a coyote which is what is running through my mind. Does anybody know how i could find her? Shes never been outside all night, and shes not used to being by herself! Im so worried :cry: I :pray: that shes okay!

Chris21711
May 17th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Stay calm Katherine, it isn't necessarily so that she saw a Coyote probably some animal much smaller that she spotted and chased. If you go to the Lost and Found part of the forum, it will give you all the information that you need to do to find her. :pray:that you find her soon.

ancientgirl
May 17th, 2008, 07:27 PM
What a horrible situation. I'm so sorry. But yes, do try to keep calm. I'm assuming you have an ID collar?

Good luck getting her home.:fingerscr

katherine93
May 17th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Yea, she has a ID tag on her collar, she is also tattooed and Microchipped. I forgot to mention that she is REALLY afraind of cars and the highway(unless she is with me of course otherwise i wouldnt have had her walk there with me) So i cannot see her coming out of the woods unless found. Tomorrow im going to take the whole gang out looking for her, It going to be hard keeping a hold of all of the but ill get one of my friends to help me!

rainbow
May 17th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Katherine, how far is it from where she got loose to your house? Do you take her for walks the same place often?

katherine93
May 17th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Its about 4 km from my house. I walk past where she got loose everyday with her. I wouldnt be AS worried about her if it wasnt for the over population of coyotes! They are everywhere, and just last week one of my close friends watched as his dog was tore apart by a coyote! And its not like the dog was a little pomeranian it was a husky and almost as big as the coyote! I feel like im going crazy!

ancientgirl
May 17th, 2008, 08:03 PM
I'm assuming you've been outside calling his name. I'd be going crazy. At least you do have some ID and if someone finds him they will call you.

katherine93
May 17th, 2008, 08:06 PM
I was outside for 4 hours straight calling her name, But its late now and i have to go to bed, My dad is still outside calling for her. But I doubt i'll be sleeping tonight.

Longblades
May 17th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Whether this is true or not I cannot say but my OH says his hunting buddies would leave an old coat or something that has a lot of their scent on it at the point where they last saw their dog or where they had parked their car. Whether anybody's dog came back to that and stayed put because of the familiar scent of it's owner I can't document. But it's worth a try and you say you walk your dog in this same place a lot so maybe she would come to the spot where she last saw you or perhaps a place where you two often stop on a walk? A stream to drink at? A particular place where you play? Good luck.

growler~GateKeeper
May 18th, 2008, 12:17 AM
Good suggestion Longblades, I would also say to leave a unwashed shirt or other article of clothing on your porch in hopes Casey smells her way home.

Can you take Matrix out when you go looking? Do you think the Matrix might be able to pick up a scent? or bark on command so Casey can hear him?

:goodvibes: :fingerscr :pray: :fingerscr :goodvibes:

katherine93
May 18th, 2008, 08:02 AM
okay so, i slept for 2 hours last night.. I finally gave up on trying to get to sleep and went outside and continued calling for her. she's still not back:( Thank you so much for the suggestions everybody, especially longblades and growler!

Growler- yea i can take Matrix out when i go looking, he barks on command when i hold a toy in front of him and tells him to speak:) I never really thought about doing that ! Thanks! My dads beagle is a good finder, he helped find My kitty when he got out by mistake , i guess its because they have like super powerful noses!

Another thing i tried- As much as i hated to do it, I left Matrix outside all night so if she came back she'd have some company, or maybe she'd smell him and come home. No luck, all i got out of it was a sad and even sookier Matrix. Also, Casey LOVES the forest, When i take her on hikes and stuff its hard to get her to turn around and come back home, so does that mean that she wont even try to come home untill she gets super hungry, and shes a good hunter, she is always catching squrils and those stupid birds i think they are called grouse so if she doesnt get hungry will she want to come home?

A teenager shouldnt have this much stress!! :censored: :yell:

Love4himies
May 18th, 2008, 08:09 AM
Oh no, katherine, I hope you find her soon. Keep us updated.:fingerscr:pray:

katherine93
May 18th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Ugh, Its POURING down rain now and its freezing out! I really hope she can find shelter somewhere! Ugh, my poor puppy dog, i feel like a unfit momma! :sad:

JanM
May 18th, 2008, 12:16 PM
I am so sorry to hear of your lost dog! Please, please keep calm and centered and if you can focus on her being home instead of being lost - that will help her too.

I hope and pray she and you are reunited soon!

rainbow
May 18th, 2008, 12:44 PM
I'm so sorry that you haven't located her yet. :sad:

Do you have a portable BBQ that you can take to where you lost her and grill some hot dogs or burgers? Maybe the smell will entice her to come out of the woods. :pray: :fingerscr :goodvibes:

kashtin's kin
May 18th, 2008, 12:50 PM
So, so sorry :sad: to hear of your missing dog-and here's another person with you in spirit, hoping for the best outcome. I had a dog slip a leash once, and go missing for a couple of days; I thought I would lose [what was left] of my mind until we recovered her, so I really empathize with your ordeal.

It sounds like you've got some good advice above, and you're doing about all you possibly could. Searching in heavy brush is really tough. The coyote issue is not pleasant, but if any dog has a chance, at least Casey is a larger breed (despite that poor husky). Try to get some rest, hard though it may be; I (and lots of other folks) feel for you and are in :fingerscr mode.

Hang tough, kiddo...let us know how things go.

rainbow
May 18th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Katherine, I see you're logged on......do you have an update?

NoahGrey
May 18th, 2008, 02:53 PM
And I am hoping it is a happy one:pray:

ACO22

katherine93
May 18th, 2008, 03:01 PM
Well its still pouring down rain so my mom wanted me to come back inside, But my dad is still out with charlie (his beagle) Trying to find her! I dont understand why she wouldnt just come home?!

rainbow
May 18th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Hopefully Dad and Charlie will come home with her. :pray: :fingerscr :goodvibes:

If not, when it stops raining can you try the BBQ idea?

katherine93
May 18th, 2008, 03:19 PM
yea thanks for that idea i'll try it as soon as the rain stops! Heres some pictures of her

BusterBoo
May 18th, 2008, 03:25 PM
:sorry: I read when you first posted about your loss and couldn't bring myself to check and see if you had found your girl!

:fingerscr that she will be home soon!

jealma
May 18th, 2008, 04:42 PM
I do hope she comes home to you soon. I would be going crazy too, but do your best to stay calm. Know there is lots of people praying for her fast return.

rainbow
May 19th, 2008, 12:08 PM
yea thanks for that idea i'll try it as soon as the rain stops! Heres some pictures of her

She looks like a great dog but the pic is a little dark....would love to see more if you have any. :)

Hope you find her soon. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

BeagleMum
May 19th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Any news yet?

Crestedcrazy
May 19th, 2008, 02:49 PM
:fingerscrHope you find her soon :grouphug:

chico2
May 19th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Katherine I am so sorry and can certainly understand you beeing frantic,all of us here are hoping for good news soon.:pray:
Hopefully she knows her way home,if she is familiar with the surroundings:pray::pray::pray:

Love4himies
May 19th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Any news Katherine??

Love4himies
May 20th, 2008, 07:56 AM
Does anybody have any news????

ancientgirl
May 20th, 2008, 08:08 AM
I hope no news is good news.

happycats
May 20th, 2008, 08:38 AM
OMG I hope you found her!:pray::fingerscr:goodvibes:

rainbow
May 20th, 2008, 11:11 AM
I also check here every time I log on hoping for good news. :fingerscr :goodvibes: :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Shadow's mom
May 20th, 2008, 12:17 PM
My Thoughts and prayers go out to you katherine93. Hope you find your pup soon:pray:

rainbow
May 21st, 2008, 12:35 PM
Katherine, do you have an update for us? :fingerscr :goodvibes: :fingerscr :goodvibes:

chico2
May 21st, 2008, 03:44 PM
Since we have not heard anything,she probably has not found him yet:cry:
Or best case scenario,she is to busy beeing happy he is back home:pray:

katherine93
May 22nd, 2008, 10:15 AM
sorry about not being on in a while , my computer was screwed up.. I still havent found her :(:cry: Mom says that someone probably found her and didnt think to give us a call, and kept her against her will. Im not going to write much more because it hurts me to talk about it. Sorry i cant give you more information

NoahGrey
May 22nd, 2008, 11:25 AM
Did you happen to walk into the forest that she ran into? Her leash could have gotten tangled? Or maybe she is injured and can't get back home.

Please keep us posted. Hope you find you her.

ACO22

Love4himies
May 22nd, 2008, 11:39 AM
I am sorry to hear you haven't found her yet.:grouphug:

chico2
May 22nd, 2008, 01:25 PM
Katherine,please do not give up on her,she is out there somewhere,wanting to come home.
Do yo have posters up.in case someone finds her??
Did she not break free of her collar??Or is she dragging a leash?

katherine93
May 22nd, 2008, 04:07 PM
Did you happen to walk into the forest that she ran into? Her leash could have gotten tangled? Or maybe she is injured and can't get back home.

Please keep us posted. Hope you find you her.

ACO22
Of course i walked into the forest she ran into, i have been everyday since she went missing. (BTW- your so reassuring lol)

I'm definatly not giving up on her, She isnt dragging around a leash, she snapped her restraining collar , but does have another collar on with id tags!

katherine93
May 22nd, 2008, 04:10 PM
I do have posters up, and i have authorites looking for her as well.

chico2
May 22nd, 2008, 04:13 PM
Katherine,that's great she has her ID's on,someone will find her,you'll get her back,I am sure:pray:

katherine93
May 22nd, 2008, 04:25 PM
Thank you.. I honestly and truley do not know what i would do with out this forum, Everybody here is so supportive and reassuring, everybody has great advice i just want to thank all you :angel:s for helping me through this. It is greatly appreciated!!!! :grouphug: :grouphug::grouphug:

chico2
May 23rd, 2008, 07:27 AM
Kathryn,all everone wants is for you to get her back:pray:I could not even begin to imagine how you feel not knowing where she is:pray::fingerscr:goodvibes:

shane 123
May 23rd, 2008, 12:30 PM
Been reading the posts. Did you find your dog Katherine? I know you are calling all the shelters and pounds, but sometimes it's better to go in person and check the dogs. I went through the same thing with a purebred Siberian, had called all the shelters and told no such dog was found. I decided to go check it out for myselfmand there was my dog, in a cage....AND....I owed them $160.00 for the time it had BOARDED there...I was so mad.

rainbow
May 23rd, 2008, 01:18 PM
Katherine, I'm very sorry to hear that you have not located Casey yet :grouphug: but I do know that you won't give up. :)

I agree with going to the shelters/pound/spca in person every few days as sometimes they are not very reliable if you don't.

I am so glad to hear that she is wearing another collar with her ID tags on it. :thumbs up Think positive, take care and keep us updated. :fingerscr :goodvibes: :fingerscr :goodvibes:

shane 123
May 24th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Was just checking in hoping there would be a post that you found your dog.
I'm just so sorry, there are no words to tell you how badly I feel. Don't give up, some dogs find their way back hope after months. My friend and her family went camping one summer with their hound and sheltie. Unfortunately her bloodhound must have sniffed something because he just vanished on a walk in the trails one night. They called and looked for the remainder of their holiday but finally it was time to leave for home and the dog hadn't been found. The campsite was more than 4 hours away from their home by car. I found my friend crying when I went over to visit and she told me about the bloodhoud. I couldn't believe a bloodhound would ever get lost. Time passed and they realized the dog was gone forever. 4 months later they got a call from a shelter in the camping area about their dog. It appears the dog wandered quite far and came upon an elderly man's home so the old gent took the dog in. He checked his collar for tags, but there were none, just a choke chain (that they had left on him , a big no no). Anyway the dog was well cared for and one day the man went to town and had the dog in his truck with him...someone told him the story, showed him the poster, and with a heavy heart he had the shelter call the people. They drove up and picked up their dog, but the dog looked back at the old man and whined. Our friends felt so guilty, and they saw the look in the old man's eyes. They turned the dog loose and headed for their car with the dog following and looking back,and when they opened the door to the back seat the dog just stood and turned....they got in the car and watched the dog go back to the old man wagging his tail. They just told him the dog looked so great and well cared for that they were letting the dog stay. Sad? Yes, they were sad, but somehow that dog had found something he needed form that old gent.

They've moved to their camping area now and their dog is still there and the dog is doing great at 12 yrs old. Best of both worlds.

chico2
May 25th, 2008, 06:04 AM
Shane,what a great story,I am hoping that all our missing pups,Sable,Billie,Spencer and now Casey are safe somewhere:pray:

katherine93
May 25th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Thank you for sharing that story shane123 , gives me a sense of hope that somebody is taking good care of her while she is gone.

Still no luck.. And now Matrix is having problems with irinating in the house, it has never happened before and he has no medical problems causeing it. He just doesnt go to the door when he wants to pee. And if we bring him outside every 40 minutes so he will do his pee he just whines to get back in and doesnt do anything. And last night he even pooped in the house. Is it because he misses casey? He does seem to be depressed now that his best friend is gone. him and casey were inseperable and now that shes gone he just doesnt know what to do. I hope she comes back soon for both of their sakes. Omy. I'm still going into he woods twice a day where she wwent missing, And bringing matrix and charlie to bark on command so she hears them and follows the sound back(thanks for the suggestion growler). And maybe they could sniff her out. well thats all for now, ill update again later if anything happens.

katherine93
May 25th, 2008, 10:05 AM
she has been gone for 8 days now! :cry::sad::sick: I want my :dog: back! :cry:

ancientgirl
May 25th, 2008, 11:02 AM
I have very high hopes you will find your girl. I wish there was something I could do to help you.

Shadow's mom
May 25th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Hi Katherine, Sorry your pups not home yet. Had similar incident with my old min poodle. He went missing for a week in January(very cold) and someone called the SPCA to report 2 dogs on the golf course near their house. They had gotten stuck inside the boundry fence, who knows how, so I went around the looooong way and brought them both home. A little worse for wear matted and hungry but amazingly enough no other problems. There is always hope that yours is OK and will be home soon.. keep the faith!

katherine93
May 25th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Another picture of casey..Doesnt she have a beautiful face?!! http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/gg125/jessicakfifield/?action=view&current=DSC00075-1.jpg&t=1211756466238

ancientgirl
May 25th, 2008, 06:48 PM
She's a pretty girl all right. :lovestruck:

growler~GateKeeper
May 25th, 2008, 11:09 PM
I'm sorry you haven't found her yet :grouphug:

Your welcome for the suggestion I just :fingerscr hope & :pray: it helps :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

Come home Casey

hazelrunpack
May 25th, 2008, 11:13 PM
I keep checking the thread hoping for some good news. :grouphug: I hope you find her soon, katherine! :fingerscr :goodvibes:

BefuddledPomMom
May 26th, 2008, 12:23 AM
Oh No... Have you found her as of yet? I had a German Shepard once. They are great dogs.

I am pretty sure she will be ok if she is gone overnight. They are work dogs so the elements shouldn't be too hard on her. She will definitely be looking for mom just as much as you for her. They have great noses and she will more than likely find home. ;)

Mine ran away once while I was in hospital, from my temp care taker.. not sure if she ran away to look for me or just mischievous.. Thank God I got her back. Was terrified. I think she had the greatest time not realizing what she put me through...I would think when you find her she will be so happy to see you again and have no clue what she did to your heart;)

So as long as she careful around highway she should do fine. She was either protecting you from whatever it was she saw or chasing as Sheps love to do.

I will keep up with post to see if you have reunited. Good luck.

chico2
May 26th, 2008, 06:05 AM
Aww Katherine,I was hoping:sad:
Casey sure is a pretty pup,I am sure you don't sleep much with her gone.
:pray:She'll find her way home,especially if she knows the area:pray:

Winston
May 26th, 2008, 06:43 AM
Katherine what about taking a walk back to the area she bolted from and check around the houses closest to that area...maybe leave something with your scent on it..,,and if you could maybe knock on a few doors..I sometimes think that people truly dont understand how devastated a person can be over something like this..you never know ?? maybe someone saw her and is too lazy to say? or didnt know she is missing and maybe saw her?? I hope your girl comes home soon! Stay strong!

Cindy
:candle:

happycats
May 26th, 2008, 04:45 PM
Awww she is a beauty! :lovestruck: And I hope she comes home soon!:pray::fingerscr

katherine93
May 26th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Casey, has been brought home! A Elderly lady heard her in her yard the day after she went missing and took her in! mrs. snow lives pretty much hid away in the woods and is almost entirely cut of from the world (not being albe to drive or walk long distances, so her son visits once or twice a week to bring her groceries or anything else that is needed. And not having the eye sight she used to have sghe couldnt read the phone number and information on her tags. She called the Local animal shelters asking if anybody was missind a black and brown dog, they replied no (which is totally unprfessional since we have been callling them pretty much everyday since she went missing to see if they had her brought in) Anyways, casey has been fed table scraps for the last 9 days but is still very healthy (although she stinks like a pig in S***) When her son came to bring her her supplies he read her tags and contacted us, we went and picked her up about 2 hours ago (and matrix was with us of course) Mrs. snow kindly invited us in for supper and we talked for a while and now Casey is safe and sound back home with us. I can't tell you how gratefull i am of mrs. snow for taking her in and helping her :D she is such a :angel: .. Sooooooooo HAPPPPPYYYY!!! Im in tears im so happy! Casey is happy to be back with us and especially glad to see matrix and scarlett! Thanks for all of your :goodvibes: ! I wouldnt have been able to get tthrough this without all of you!!! :D:D:D:D:D :lovestruck:

diandpat
May 26th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Oh Katherine93 I am so happy for your dog, you, and your family. It's nice to hear of a happy ending once in a while. :thumbs up

How is the injured dog doing? Did Casey freak out when she saw him?

:pray:that some of our other members missing family members will have happy endings too :fingerscr

katherine93
May 26th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Thank you! Im so glad she is back! Casey didnt really get a chance to see him that well, Matrix wouldnt let her.. He is very protective over Jazz..

meg4050
May 26th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Yayyy!!! Katherine, that's so great! :fingerscr Matrix will let Casey and Jazz become friends soon!!

phoozles
May 26th, 2008, 05:20 PM
Yay! A happy ending! Can't wait to see pics of Casey back at home! :highfive:

ancientgirl
May 26th, 2008, 05:21 PM
OMG!!!! Yay!!!! I'm so happy your baby is home! I'd give the shelter a good piece of my mind! You could have had your baby back days ago!

Thank goodness she fell into the hands of a good person who took care of her as best she could.

happycats
May 26th, 2008, 05:22 PM
WOOOO HOOOOOOOO I'm sooooooo happy!!!!!

krdahmer
May 26th, 2008, 07:02 PM
http://bestsmileys.com/excited/3.gif

I am so happy for you and Casey and your family!!!! :D:highfive: And big hugs for Mrs. Snow for taking care of her! :grouphug:

Now.... for a super strong leash and collar.... ;) :grouphug:

rainbow
May 26th, 2008, 07:05 PM
http://www.pic4ever.com/images/greenstars.gif http://www.pic4ever.com/images/greenstars.gif http://www.pic4ever.com/images/greenstars.gif

Katherine, I am so very happy to hear the news that Casey is back home. :highfive: You must be on Cloud 9 right now. :cloud9:

Thank goodness for Mrs. Snow taking care of Casey. :angel: How far away from you does she live? :)

katherine93
May 26th, 2008, 07:30 PM
How far away from you does she live? :)

Oops forgot to mention that..Amazingly its about a 20 minute drive! One tough pup i got here!!

aslan
May 26th, 2008, 07:38 PM
oh woohoo, yay for mrs. snow. I've been checking in everyday to see if your baby was home. I'm soooo glad for you and think mrs. snow is definately an :angel:.

otter
May 26th, 2008, 07:43 PM
http://www.pic4ever.com/images/greenstars.gifhttp://www.pic4ever.com/images/greenstars.gifhttp://www.pic4ever.com/images/greenstars.gif

More WooooooooooHoooooooooooing from me!!! I've been reading this thread every chance I get, just :pray: and :fingerscr for good news.

duttypaws
May 26th, 2008, 07:52 PM
yay... what a happy ending :D

hazelrunpack
May 26th, 2008, 07:57 PM
WoooooHoooooo!

I am sooooo happy to hear that Casey made it back! :grouphug: Yay for Mrs Snow!!! :highfive: :angel:s show up where you least expect them sometimes!

BeagleMum
May 26th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Oh wow, that's so awesome!!!

Sylvie
May 26th, 2008, 08:46 PM
:thumbs up

That is the best news I have heard all day. :pawprint:

I be you are on :cloud9:

I bet you will have a good:sleepy:tonight.

I am happy for both of you

Frenchy
May 26th, 2008, 08:49 PM
That is such great news ! :thumbs up

14+kitties
May 26th, 2008, 08:50 PM
:highfive:I am so glad Casey was found. It must be such a relief to have him home. :highfive: WTG Mrs Snow!!:angel:

growler~GateKeeper
May 26th, 2008, 11:14 PM
I'm so glad you've got Casey back home http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/happy110.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

Perhaps Mrs. Snow :angel: would appreciate a visit from you & Casey once in a while ;)

Longblades
May 27th, 2008, 08:33 AM
HOORAY! HOORAY! What a nice way to start the morning, with GOOD NEWS.

Hmmm, I'm thinking. Mrs. Snow is elderly and lives all alone way back in the bush? Shouldn't she have a dog of her own? What about the black Lab that was found hit on the road? I know you said you were going to keep him but .... you could help out with food and care maybe and agree to take him back if she is unable to look after him at some point? If his frantic owners have not been found of course.

chico2
May 27th, 2008, 09:51 AM
Katherine,that's the news I was waiting for:thumbs up
I am one of those weird people who believe in fate,one good deed deserves another etc...you save Jazz,you get Casey back:thumbs up
Unfortunately it does not always work..

I agree,you should visit Mrs Snow personally and give her a big hug from all of us:grouphug:

katherine93
May 27th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Hmmm, I'm thinking. Mrs. Snow is elderly and lives all alone way back in the bush? Shouldn't she have a dog of her own? What about the black Lab that was found hit on the road? I know you said you were going to keep him but .... you could help out with food and care maybe and agree to take him back if she is unable to look after him at some point? If his frantic owners have not been found of course.

haha we are one step ahead of ya hun! We have a shelter dog lined up, in desperate need of a home( He looks just like Casey!) mom mentioned it to her the other night at supper and she thought it was a great idea! We are going to pay for his adoption and mom is going to do all of his vet care! I have seen this dog in person (And wanted to adopt him myself) A few months back and hes amazing! Heres the website he is on! http://www.envision.ca/members/templates/template7.asp?ID=5589

His name is trigger :thumbs up

ancientgirl
May 27th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Oh man you and your mom are amazing. I wish there were more people like you.

loopoo
May 27th, 2008, 11:14 PM
i have been following this post.. and am so glad you found your baby :) that is great news

badger
May 28th, 2008, 12:19 AM
I don't want to throw cold water on an amazing plan but can Mrs. Snow handle such a big dog? I'm sure Trigger would be an awesome companion, but if he knocked her over?

Love4himies
May 28th, 2008, 07:29 AM
I am so happy to hear Casey is back home.:thumbs up. If this elderly lady did agree on the dog would you be able to check up on them to see if all is well!!

What an amazing family you have, Katherine!!!!!

cpietra16
May 28th, 2008, 08:49 AM
I am so thrilled to hear the news.....:thumbs up

Longblades
May 28th, 2008, 09:29 AM
You sneaky devil, posting all those pictures of lovely pooches needing homes. LOL. Your post says Trigger, but did you maybe mean Jigger? No, Jigger does not look at all like Casey.

Or maybe you are so young yourself that your idea of elderly is my age, while my idea of elderly is my Mum who will be 90 this year? :) :)

Whatever, I can tell from your posts you and your Mom know what you are doing and I have faith it will work out for the best. GOOD for both of you.

NoahGrey
May 28th, 2008, 12:19 PM
While I understand the point in getting her a dog, I can't help but think if this idea is really right. It seems like this woman can not really take care of herself, so how is she going to take care of a dog. Also, if she is Eldery (ans I agree with LongBlades) how eldery is she. You have to think, dogs live along time. Who is going to take care of the dog, if this elderly lady passes. The shelter. Members of her family.

I think you should get into contact with her sons and asking how they feel about their mom taking care of a puppy and will she properly take care of it. They might disgree with you..for it might be the best thing for her and the dog.

And MOST SPCAs will not adopt out animals as gifts.

ACO22

katherine93
May 28th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Thanks for the advice.. maybe i should try talking her into a more gentle animal? Like a cat might be better? And she isnt that elderly, i just didnt want to affend anybody by calling her old..haha shes 68 years old i beleive.But she is a frail and petite little thing. Suffers from severe glaucoma (i beleive thats what she said, she may have said cataracts) So maybe trigger wouldnt be the best animal for her, as he tends to jump a little. Sounded like a good idea at the time, i will discuss it further with mom later.

And even though i doubt she'll be passing anytime soon, i would most definatly take the animal into my own care(As long as mom didnt mind) so i could be sure it was going to a good home (not trying to toot my own horn lol
)

I just was thinking about how much she enjoyed casey's company, and she was talking abouot how beautiful she is, so i suggested trigger.

ancientgirl
May 28th, 2008, 01:31 PM
LOL, oh boy my dad just turned 69 and I don't consider him elderly.

I have to say, I think a smaller dog or even a cat would be better for her. I think the important thing is she might just want some company. She'd have to walk and keep a bigger dog active I'd think.

Jim Hall
May 28th, 2008, 01:33 PM
68 aint old but i agree maybe a kitty or a smaller less active dog

it is a wondefull idea and you can always make a play date with the animal and check up on her too .

Longblades
May 28th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Katherine, only you and your Mom have met the lady so you are far better judges. I do know my own Mum, when she was 68, would have been perfectly capable of handling Trigger. No one would ever describe her as petite and frail though.

I think since the lady obviously enjoyed a dog that a dog is right. Maybe a cat too of course. But the dog's size doesn't matter as long as it is well mannered. If she was my Mum, living alone in an isolated area, I sure would feel better if she had a dog. For company and protection too, even if all it does is say WOOF if a stranger comes by.

I do see why you first thought of Trigger. He looks like Casey and it sounds like his time is nearly up? Maybe you could launch that career in dog training you've always longed to do and start with him to make him suitable for the lady? What? You wanted a career like that didn't you? :) :)

katherine93
May 28th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Thanks Longblades! Haha yea. I want a career that has anything to do with animals! lol.. Sounds like a great idea! The play date idea is great too Jim!. My mom and I will talk to her about it a bit more before making the decision. His time isnt going to be up for another nice long while(mainly a no kill shelter) but a dog like him shouldnt be cooped up in a cage all day long, nor should any other dog for that matter. All i kn ow is that any animal, big or small, will be loved and cared for by her and my family!

BusterBoo
May 28th, 2008, 06:47 PM
I wasn't able to check the board yesterday and am sooooo happy to hear that Casey is home with you!

Thank Mrs. Snow for me!!! She is definitely an :angel:

t.pettet
May 28th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Maybe finding this 'senior' lady a medium sized older dog would suit her.

Shadow's mom
May 29th, 2008, 11:26 PM
I was thrilled to hear of the return of Casey, Katherine. He must have been on the scent of something great to have wandered so far but thank God that Mrs. Snow took him in and looked after him. All's well and all that. Keep up the good work of helping other dogs as well. Will be watching for more posts about your adventures.

katherine93
May 31st, 2008, 03:07 PM
Mom took mrs. snow to the spca today, Their intensions were to adopt trigger, but when she walked in the door, she fell in love with a kitten, She is a orange and white tabby. Yay to mrs.Snow and her new adopted kitty!

ancientgirl
May 31st, 2008, 03:27 PM
I think a kitty is a great choice for her.

katherine93
May 31st, 2008, 04:09 PM
I think so too! Im so happy for her! But im a little sad that Trigger is still left behind :( he deserves a home so much.. i said that to mom and she was like "No we con NOT have another dog" Funny how much she know's me, i didnt even ask for him, i just said he deserved a home! lol

ancientgirl
May 31st, 2008, 04:13 PM
I hope he finds a home soon too. I know how you feel though. I was at the vet's today and they had two little tiny kittens out in the waiting area to have adopted. It was so hard to see them and leave them there.:sad:

katherine93
May 31st, 2008, 04:18 PM
Yea.. If i had my way, everytime a animal went into the shelter i would adopt it. but thats simply not possible! to many animals are roaming around unspayed or unneutered!