Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hello from Ajax

dbg10
May 17th, 2008, 04:18 PM
I have been lurking here for quite some time and have now joined. I found the information here invaluable during the pet food recall last year and thought I had joined then, but obviously I didn't.

I have a dog and 4 cats whom I love dearly. My avatar is of my 11 year old English Springer spaniel who I adopted 2 years ago from a shelter. Sam is an 11 year old male grey and white cat who weighs 23 lbs and is king of the cats who I adopted as a very young kitten. Bailey is a solid black persian female kitty who weighs in at 6 lbs and her 'husband' Tiger is a tabby who weighs in at 7 lbs. They are 8 years old and Bailey was a stray who I got from my vet when she decided that Bailey needed to live in my home. Tiger came to us as a kitten from a farm litter that had found their way to my vets office for adoption. Then comes the "baby" who's name is Smokey. Smokey is solid grey with a white belly weighs in at 18 lbs and is now 4 years old. My vet found him with his brother in a washroom of a hockey arena when they were kittens. I couldn't resist him because his fur is the same colour as Sam's. He has an attitude and thinks he's a dog. All in all that is my family and they love each other.

Glad to meet everyone here!

chico2
May 17th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Hello dbj from Ajax and welcome to our Forum,your Sam at 23lb's don't make me feel so bad about one of mine(Vinnie) weighing 17 1/2 lb's:laughing:
If you've been lurking you know we love to see pics,your kitties sound beautiful as does your Springer Spaniel.:thumbs up
This beeing a long weekend,the Forum might not be as active as normal days,but just be patient,ok!

dbg10
May 17th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Thanks chico2 :) nice to meet you. I guess I haven't posted enough threads to be able to post attachments yet. I'll do some more posting and then add them here :thumbs up

Catzig
May 17th, 2008, 11:25 PM
Hello dbg10, I must be your neighbour (Westney Heights). Currently we have 2 dogs and 2 cats but our numbers tend to change with little notice :thumbs up. Welcome aboard!

meg4050
May 17th, 2008, 11:35 PM
Welcome to the board dbg, I have a Springer too :cloud9:

dbg10
May 18th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Nice to meet you Catzig :thumbs up and yes we are neighbours but I am in the south end, and you sound like you have a busy household something like mine :D

Also nice to meet you meg4050 :thumbs up Springer's are so much fun!. How old is yours and male or female?

I am going to be posting some pictures today of my brood, the children is what I call them :)

Frenchy
May 18th, 2008, 05:04 PM
I have a Bailey and a Sam too but my Sam weights 100 lbs :laughing:

Welcome to pets.ca , can't wait to see pictures of your fuzzbutts !

angeldogs
May 18th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Welcome to the forum.

dbg10
May 18th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Ok here come the pictures: As I cannot post attachments, for now I will post links to the pics and will upload them to the server here once I'm able to post attachments. As I have 2 pictures of a couple of them I will post them in a couple of posts staying within the 3 picture limit per post. My family:

First is Bailey my only female cat. She is 8 years old and such a pretty little girl. She is so obviously female it is funny to watch her. She weighs only 6 lbs
Bailey (http://ca.geocities.com/gosling2124@rogers.com/pets/Bailey4.jpg)

Bailey's husband Tiger who is also 8 years old but weighs 9 lbs and he and Bailey spend their days together. He hates it when she gets out and he doesn't manage to escape with her.
Tiger (http://ca.geocities.com/gosling2124@rogers.com/pets/Tiger10.jpg)

Tiger playing ball when he manages to get one away from the others.
Tiger playing with a ball (http://ca.geocities.com/gosling2124@rogers.com/pets/Tiger11.jpg)

The others follow :)

dbg10
May 18th, 2008, 06:16 PM
This post contains pictures of my oldest cat Sam who weighs in at 23 lbs and is a very big boy to say the least. He owns the house, the other animals and the humans.

Sam is sleeping on 1/3 of a 98 inch couch and loves having all that space to himself:
Sam Sleeping (http://ca.geocities.com/gosling2124@rogers.com/pets/samcouch1.JPG)

I think this one shows what Sam thinks of the rest of the family:

Sam (http://ca.geocities.com/gosling2124@rogers.com/pets/Sam4.jpg)

Sorry about messing up the links again :(

dbg10
May 18th, 2008, 06:40 PM
And the "baby" Smokey. He came to us at the age of 13 weeks but looked like an 8 week old kitten he was so small. He only weighed 1 1/2 lbs and was tiny. He immediately made friends with my son's dog who lived here at the time and they were fast friends the entire time Parker lived with us. Smokey paid no attention whatsoever to the other cats and I think thought he was a dog.

Smokey is eating my old German Shepherd Blackie's breakfast (may she :rip:) the bowl is about 12" across, you can see my mild jug behind him and that shows how tiny he was :

Smokey eating breakfast (http://ca.geocities.com/gosling2124@rogers.com/pets/smokey2.JPG)

This one is Smokey the exhibitionist today - weight 18 lbs without any fat on him:

Smokey today (http://ca.geocities.com/gosling2124@rogers.com/pets/smokey3.jpg)

Next is reserved for Pepper my delightful 11 year old English Springer Spaniel who hates having her picture taken :)

Pepper (http://ca.geocities.com/gosling2124@rogers.com/pets/pepper.jpg)

Each one has an incredible personality, very distinct, but they all get along well together with the occasional "argument"

Thanks for the big welcome ...it's great to be here :thumbs up

Enjoy !

chico2
May 19th, 2008, 06:56 AM
dbg,those pics are great,love all your kitties,Smokey,Sam,Bailey and Tiger and poor Pepper having to live with bossy kitties:laughing:

dbg10
May 20th, 2008, 09:00 PM
:laughing: Pepper loves it! She chases them around the house and rules the roost. She is not shy about it at all especially where Smokey is concerned. She and Smokey are pals, grooming each other and eating together. They share both his treats and hers and he loves to run away with any marrow bones she gets. He still thinks he's a dog. :confused: It is hilarious to see them together
:rolleyes: :)

angeldogs
May 20th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Gorgeous kitties and pooch.i think it's great to see them all getting along.even better when they are cuddling in pics

Frenchy
May 20th, 2008, 09:13 PM
So your poor dog has to deal with all those kitties ? :laughing:

14+kitties
May 20th, 2008, 09:14 PM
I have a Sam too. She (Samantha) is around 65 lbs though.
I love the pics of the kitties. Especially the exhibitionist. So funny!!
What a wonderful family you have and such heartwarming stories to go with each of them.
Welcome!

dbg10
May 20th, 2008, 09:26 PM
I hope your Sam isn't a cat :laughing: Thanks for the welcome, I couldn't resist posting that picture of the exhibitionist, it is so funny :D

14+kitties
May 20th, 2008, 09:36 PM
I hope your Sam isn't a cat :laughing: Thanks for the welcome, I couldn't resist posting that picture of the exhibitionist, it is so funny :D

Nope, she is a 13 year old labx. :) Just one of my pets.
I love those "natural" poses. :D

meg4050
May 20th, 2008, 10:22 PM
Oh I missed all of those!

This is getting weird, not only do Barkley and Pepper look alike, but my Romeo looks identical to Smokey and he's an exhibitionist too!!

Love4himies
May 21st, 2008, 06:39 AM
Your fur family is beautiful, I love Tiger's spots, very pretty.

hazelrunpack
May 21st, 2008, 07:23 PM
welcome to the board, dbg! Lovely family! :cloud9:

dbg10
September 18th, 2008, 05:51 PM
It's been awhile but I finally have some pictures of Pepper that I wanted to post. I thought this was the best place to post them..in my first post in the forum.:lightbulb:

So here they are :thumbs up

dbg10
September 21st, 2008, 03:02 PM
I decided to post pictures of my first dogs. They loved each other very much and were like husband and wife. As you see in my signature they are both gone but never forgotten. They were together for almost 10 years. They swam together, ate together, generally did everything together. It was very sad when Dylan the GR passed away, leaving Blackie alone. My son brought his dog Parker to live here for 4 years so I am posting a picture of the Blackie and Parker playing as well.

The first picture is of Dylan the GR and Blackie the Lab/Shepherd X posing for a picture :rip:

The second one is of Dylan and Blackie getting out of the pool

The third one is of Blackie and Parker sheltie/rottie X play fighting

Byrd
September 21st, 2008, 03:35 PM
Welcome.

I was born in Ajax, moved to Bowmanville, and am now in Oshawa.

Tundra_Queen
September 22nd, 2008, 12:37 PM
Hi

I loved looking at all the pics of your furbabies! They are all adorable. How did u get the kitties to all get along?

Debbie :-)

dbg10
September 29th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Thanks for looking at my cuties. Tundra_queen the cats found their own level of comfort with each other and are basically a family. Each with his/her own personality. I have never seen them actually fight with each other, they play fight all the time. There have never been any injuries. I got Blackie and Dylan before I adopted the cats. The dogs were 5 and 6 years old when I finally introduced Sam and his brother Frisky :rip: (unfortunately I don't have any pics of him) and the dogs acted like they were the kittens mothers. Sam used to sleep in Dylan's tail and Blackie used to clean them and groom them. It was hilarious. When Frisky died we adopted Tiger and Bailey, and a few years later Smokey. The dogs continued to treat the cats as though they were their puppies and the cats had no problems with the dogs. Alll except Bailey were kittens when I adopted them but even Bailey accepted the dogs as her 'parents' and put up with the cleaning and grooming that the dogs did.

When I adopted Smokey, both my son's dog Parker and Blackie were the dogs I had. Smokey seemed to think he was a puppy and still acts more like a dog than a cat. He now spends his time teasing Pepper and chasing her around the house.

My animals' behaviour flies in the face of any old wives tales that say dogs and cats are not meant to get along :thumbs up

Magicwildwolf69
September 29th, 2008, 04:25 PM
hello there too i'm with chico2 you make my 18 pound eclipse seem small lol. Welcome to the boards.