Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Vet visit

ancientgirl
May 17th, 2008, 04:04 PM
I was going to take the stray that's been hanging around outside to the vet. I didn't see her yesterday, and this morning I didn't see her. I called Rene, the other maintenance guy, he also comes in on Saturdays. He said he and Miguel spent most of the day yesterday looking for her but they never found her. He told me he thinks someone took her in. I really hope he's right. She's not an inside cat. I'm afraid something might have happened to her. I hope Rene is right. I hope someone did take her in.:sad:

Since I had the appointment, I took Kiska in to have her eye looked at and to have the vet listen to her lungs. I thought her breathing sounded odd, but the vet said she was fine.

I took that time to talk to her about the raw. She said that when she worked in Colorado there were people who made their pets food from home. The animal clinic she worked at would order supplements that were pre-measured for the owners to put in the food. My vet said if I wanted to eventually make Maks and the others their food on my own, having the supplements would help and I could get them meat I wouldn't have to worry about having salmonella or anything like that in it. She said while she's not opposed to raw, her fear is not knowing the conditions of the manufacturing plant the pre-packaged food comes from. She gave me a book to look through that has recipes, and she also asked me to do some research on raw for her, and that Monday she would start calling around to find out where the pre-measured supplements can be ordered from.

Love4himies
May 17th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Your vet does have a point about the manufacturing plant. The best is the homemade kind, you control the quality. It is ensuring your cat gets all the vitamins that is the trick so if you can get the supplements, that would be great.:thumbs up

Frenchy
May 17th, 2008, 04:10 PM
ancientgirl , just curious , why do you buy the pre-package ones ? Both mine are on 1/2 raw (I mean one raw meal a day) I buy it at the grocery store and make the portions myself , it's pretty simple and probably much much cheaper.

ancientgirl
May 17th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Yeah, after she said that I really got to thinking and it would make me more comfortable doing it myself. If she can get me the supplements like the kind her Colorado pet parents got for their pets, I may just do it myself.

Frenchy, I've been buying the pre-packaged because I just don't know how much organ meat and stuff to add. And I have heard that they need other vitamins and supplements not found in just plain meat. My fear is just going out and buying meat and giving that to them and it not being enough nutrition for them. I figured, at least the pre-packaged has the ground organs and bones and other things. You are correct though, buying the stuff myself and making it myself would come out way cheaper if all of them wound up liking the raw.

The book she gave me looks interesting, so I'll have a look through that.

Frenchy
May 17th, 2008, 04:21 PM
There a lot of infos here too :

http://www.rawfedcats.org/ :thumbs up

ancientgirl
May 17th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Thanks. I bookmarked it and forwarded the link to my work email. I can spend some time next week making copies of stuff I find and read a little more.