Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Collar Suggestions

BeagleMum
May 17th, 2008, 07:24 AM
I have had Spencer & Sydney on martingale collars since January (since doing some training with Brad Pattison) and absolutely love them because they can be loose enough but still tighten enough so that they can't slip out of them (Sydney has a big neck and a small head so normal collars have to be tighter than I like them to be in order for her not to be able to slip out). I noticed last night that Sydney's neck (under her chin) is bald, I am assuming that the chain part of the collar pulled the hair out on her. It seems to have cut the hair the whole way around her nech because she has a permanent ring where the collar was of what looks like shorter hair.

Spencer has broken the clasp on more than one collar so I don't feel comfortable tying them outside on a collar with a plastic clasp (We don't have a fence yet so they have to be tied when let out, they are never left alone and are always supervised while out there). I also don't feel comfortable leaving them in the house with no collar on because that means they have no tags on either. I hate to even imagine if they got out and had no ID for someone to call us right away.

I dont really like harnesses because they seem to find them very uncomfortable, Sydney hates them actually.

So, does anyone have any suggestions for very sturdy collars? I have thought about a martingale with the felt loop rather than the chain one but I have not seen any nice ones yet.

luckypenny
May 17th, 2008, 07:31 AM
Have you ever tried a soft flat leather collar? Perhaps you can put on the martingale only when you're on your way out for a walk? Penny and Ava have flat nylon collars, Lucky a leather one (his fur wears with the nylon ones), and I throw on either the Newtrix (on Penny) or the Easywalk Harness (on Lucky) when we go walking. This way, they always have their regular collars with their tags on.

BeagleMum
May 17th, 2008, 07:37 AM
I have heard that leather can stretch and snap and was told not to use them. Do you not find that happens?

I guess I could, like you said, put a flat buckle collar on in the house even and swith to their martingales just when they go out back or we go out walking/biking. I can just see that becoming a pain, some days they are always on the wrong side of the door.

Chris21711
May 17th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Iggy has a Martingale that was ordered from www.funnyfarmboutique.ca They have beautiful patterns and are all fabric, no chain. Check them out they are really nice. :)

Chaser
May 17th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Chase wears a flat nylon collar for everyday/around the house/holding ID tags...I've seen some in nicer pet stores that have a stainless steel bucle instead of plastic. I find these work well too because although he wears a martingale for walking, I don't need to switch collars (at least on his neck) b/c the flat collar rests lower on his neck whereas the martingale sits up more behind his ears and the two collars really don't interfere with each other.

satchelp
May 21st, 2008, 12:39 AM
I use collars from White Pine Outfitters on my dogs, who are long-haired and have problems with other types of collars cutting the hair. They have a version that works similar to a martingale. It's a limited slip collar. It will tighten up, but not to the point where it will choke them, and it's hard for them to slip the collar. They are pretty strong from what I've found so far and my one dog that has slipped collars in the past has not slipped this one. I got mine from White Pine, but you may be able to find a re-seller.

growler~GateKeeper
May 21st, 2008, 03:33 AM
Just a note of caution on flat buckle collars - check them for wear often.

Several years ago I had a flat steel-buckle collar on my dog for his tags, until one day when I had the front door open, Cally stepped out on to the porch I grabbed his collar & it came off in my hand. He'd had the collar for several years and it never needed adjustment so where the nylon fed through the buckle it created a bump raising it above the rest of the collar, and the single steel finger was no longer tight so if the collar was grabbed just right, it slipped out.

Luckily that day there was nothing too interesting going on & he just sauntered down the stairs, I was able to catch him right away. After that he only wore a slide adjustable flat slip-on collar for tags and as always his Halti for walks.

The adjustable slip-on collar will fit much the same as a flat buckle but there are no holes so you can adjust to any size - similar idea as a cat's slide adjust collar.

Flat buckle collars are fine just check them often & change them when the holes get worn out. :2cents:

Ford Girl also recommends Funny Farm Boutique collars http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=48969 they do custom ones too :thumbs up

angeldogs
May 21st, 2008, 08:07 AM
I was just at Global pets lastnight and seen on like the collar Ceasar wife designed.it was a double collar on the bottom and at the top of the neck and the leash clipped on the top one.it was $39 and change before taxes

jessi76
May 21st, 2008, 08:59 AM
I had the same problem w/ Tucker, each collar I tried rubbed the fur off his neck, leaving him bald, red, and irritated.

We finally settled on using two collars. His "working" collar, the collar that he's walked on, or leaves the house in, is a wide, flat, SOFT leather collar w/ a buckle (like a belt). I think we paid about $30 for it at one of those large pet supply chain stores. it's lasted a couple years now, and is nicely broken in, and now very soft (yet durable) leather. We keep it treated w/ a leather protector, like you'd do for a good leather boot.

his "house" collar, is a fleece lined, fabric collar from Planet Dog, with a metal snap together clasp. (I got it on clearance about 2 yrs ago, they were $2 each! I think they're sold out now though) Tucker can't have any collars that have plastic buckles or clasps as he's too strong and snaps them. The metal works better, but this is only for around the house and when he's in his fenced area. The fleece is much kinder to his neck, doesn't irritate or rub fur off.

SnowDancer
May 21st, 2008, 11:58 AM
We do not have a fenced yard either. We did just once and it was pointless because our Beagle dug himself out and took a walk around the block. Our next dogs were Dachshunds - superior diggers as well. We now have a 22 lb. American Eskimo - he can jump to the top of a 6 ft. fence - and then would break his neck going over it - he is also a superior digger. So I wouldn't worry about the lack of a fence. Our dogs wouldn't go out without us anyway, so when my husband sits in the yard, a tie-out it is - and our dogs always wore harnesses. Our Eskie wears the Canine Friendly harness that doubles as a seatbelt - it look like a bib and he can't get out of it. He also has a Martingale that we use when walking him. Once a week he goes to socialization at his daycare, but he wears his harness. I would be very afraid to leave any form of collar on him due to his double coat and the fur about his neck. He is a very sexy boy to the other dogs - mostly big dogs who love to take him by the tail - with a 22 lb. Poodle holding him by the neck - so accidents could happen more easily since the Martingale can hardly be seen. My Eskie's groomer has just started to carry the Martingale with a cloth "chain" rather than the metal.

Chaser
May 21st, 2008, 01:28 PM
I was just at Global pets lastnight and seen on like the collar Ceasar wife designed.it was a double collar on the bottom and at the top of the neck and the leash clipped on the top one.it was $39 and change before taxes

Good to know...I've been wanting one of these but didn't really want to order it online.

angeldogs
May 22nd, 2008, 01:17 AM
Good to know...I've been wanting one of these but didn't really want to order it online.

I go to a couple of globals and this was the first one i seen it in.if you know Cambridge at all.it the new one on Franklin Dr in the A&P plaza