Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Foster kittens my have tape worm

Love4himies
May 17th, 2008, 06:22 AM
I noticed this morning that one of the kittens has a small bit of white coming out of her bum, so I tried to wipe it with a kleenex and it was hard like rice. So then I noticed on the blanket where they sleep and clean themselves there is tiny pieces of rice like things.:frustrated::frustrated: Bet the momma of these fosters is suffering with tape worm too. Wonder if the humane society will contact the farmer and let him know.

I have a call into the humane society to see if they treat it there or go to the vet.

Poor souls, they are going to be so terrified.:sad: They are just getting comfy with me and I have to do this to them.

Winston
May 17th, 2008, 06:29 AM
L4H..when I adopted my 2 little ones my boy Bomber had a tape worm...It is exactly as you described it. kind of like sesame seeds...anyway the vet figured since Bomber had it that is was llikely his sister Tabitha did too! so both were treated. It was a needle and there were no pills given....much easier that way...

Your kitties are sooo cute! Thankyou for being a foster! We need so many more people to open their doors like you!

Cindy

Love4himies
May 17th, 2008, 06:32 AM
Yes it will be easier for them. They are not comfortable with humans yet so to hold them tight is going to be fun.

Winston
May 17th, 2008, 06:40 AM
Honestly mine didnt evenn feel the needle....but I didnt know anything about tapeworms and was worried I would have to see them come out!! ewww! But the needle kills the worm and well we all know were it goes! The other thing that became obvious after the fact was that Bomber has a ferocious appetite...he would eat and eat and eat! but I thought it was because he was a kitten and growing....Have you noticed that kitty particularly more hungry?

Cindy

BeagleMum
May 17th, 2008, 06:42 AM
Poor things. Good thing you noticed it so quickly, hopefully you can get them all cleared up and feeling better soon.

Frenchy
May 17th, 2008, 11:12 AM
Tape worms are yucky :yuck: will you try the needle or go with the pills ?

Love4himies
May 17th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Spent the morning at HS waiting for a call back from the vet, but they didn't call back:yell:. So they haven't been treated :frustrated::frustrated: Tomorrow is Sun, then it is Monday:frustrated:, normally I would be going back to work, good thing I have next week off.

Dr Lee
May 17th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Both the injectable droncit and the oral droncit work very well. I am a fan of the pill but both are fine.

Don't forget that tapeworms are zoonotic, meaning that people can get infected so wash your hands! In fact in the US in the late 1800's, you could mail order tapeworm eggs as a form of weight loss:yuck:. I think Jenny Craig is much better than Freddy the Tapeworm! I remember reading one of the original ads for tapeworm egg sales - it made it seem like the most normal thing to buy. Must of had a lot of squirmy overweight people in church!

Love4himies
May 17th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Thanks Dr Lee. Vet call the humane society right at closing:frustrated:. They want to have a fecal sample done and see them before admin the drug because they are only between 630 and 690 grams. But it has to wait until Tues, because Mon is a holiday:yell::yell:. Poor kittens :sad:.

I have been washing my hands after handling these kittens.

Frenchy
May 17th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Just thought of something .... when Paddy got those (from eating a mouse that got into the house :wall:) he also got fleas .... and pass the worms and the fleas to Monsieur le chat and all the dogs :frustrated: I hope your household will not get flea infected :fingerscr

Dr Lee
May 17th, 2008, 03:45 PM
Good point. Eating a flea is the main method of infection of tapeworms for dogs.:pawprint:

Love4himies
May 18th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Must be why the vet wants them treated for fleas too when they come in. I'll treat my cats today, but will let the vet do the kittens, they are soooo tiny.

Frenchy
May 18th, 2008, 08:45 AM
Must be why the vet wants them treated for fleas too when they come in. I'll treat my cats today, but will let the vet do the kittens, they are soooo tiny.

Ask your vet how many treatment they will need. I got different replies from different vets ... I think it was one worm treatment but for the fleas , it was once every month for 3 months. Or else the worms come back :frustrated:

Love4himies
May 21st, 2008, 05:18 PM
Apparently through fecal exam of the kittens, the vet said it is not tapeworm, but coccidia. They don't have diarrhea, they don't appear sick. There is still the mystery of "white rice" coming out of Tips or Boots rear, and the left over sesames on their bedding.

Has anybody had any experience with this in kittens?

14+kitties
May 21st, 2008, 06:47 PM
From what you have described it sure sounds like tapeworm. :shrug: Can't figure out what is going on with that. Strange.
Did they have fleas? If they did I would think they definetely are tapeworms. Could you find one and bag it and take it to the vet?

Winston
May 21st, 2008, 07:07 PM
When my guy had the tapeworm he had what I called crumb bum! looked like he sat in sesame seeds!! poor kitties!

Cindy

growler~GateKeeper
May 21st, 2008, 11:46 PM
It is possible they have both coccidia and tapeworm, just that particular fecal sample didn't have any tapeworm eggs or segments in it.

Gerri good suggestion to bag it & bring it in, the vets can then look under the microscope to ID it.

I'd get another fecal done :pawprint:

clm
May 22nd, 2008, 05:57 AM
Like Growler said, may just not have had any tape worm segments in that sample. I would just get them treated for the tapeworm as well as the coccidia regardless.

Cindy

Love4himies
May 22nd, 2008, 07:49 AM
Thanks guys, I will talk to the humane society about getting them treated for tape too.