Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Various strange behaviors and potty phobia?

Bowwow
May 15th, 2008, 05:05 PM
I recently adopted a one-year old male (Shih tzu, I believe) from a shelter. He had only been in the shelter for a week and was freshly groomed so he had recently been someone's pet, albeit unclaimed.

Biscuit will go to the door and scratch but when he's let out he immediately wants back in. He doesn't DO anything. I let him back in and a minute later he wants out again. This scenario is repeated many times a day.

1. Why does he continually ask to go out but won't do anything?

He doesn't ask to go out to go potty. He will go potty when my other dog is home so he will go twice a day--once in a.m. and once in early p.m.

2. He doesn't indicate that he has to go to the bathroom. What to do?

I know that animals HAVE to go to the bathroom more than twice a day. Yesterday he pooped at my husband's studio but other than that, he hasn't gone in the house.

3. Since he only 'goes' twice a day, where's it going and why isn't he going?!

I'm dumbfounded.

sugarcatmom
May 15th, 2008, 05:08 PM
What happens if you go out with him? Maybe he's used to someone being with him outside.

Bowwow
May 15th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Ya, I thought of that so I started going out with him. Nothing. He'd stand there and look at me. Then I would put him in the specific area that the dogs go on. Still Nothing.

DoubleRR
May 15th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Some dogs are trained young to expect to walk to stimulate them first--he could have lived in an apartment where he was walked a block or two first. Also, he may be waiting for a command. When I walk the boarded dogs at the pet store/pet hotel I try several possible commands, and find usually one works when others do not.
Try "do your business"
" make"
"hurry up"
"go pee [or potty, or poo etc.]"

Most of the dogs need to walk around for a few minutes first.

possum
May 15th, 2008, 09:29 PM
I dogsat an older Shih tzu for a couple of months last year. She didn't ask to go out and would never go potty in the yard. We had to take her out for four or more walks a day, even just around the block, so she could do her thing somewhere else. You might just have to find out what your dog's routine preference is and work from there.

Longblades
May 17th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Another wild guess; someone previously might have trained him to "go" with treats and he now associates going out and coming back in with getting a food reward? In that case several successive outs and ins with no food reward should help cure him but I have no idea how many it will take. They say it takes much longer to break a habit than to start it.

t.pettet
May 17th, 2008, 06:47 PM
This dog is probably used to 1 or 2 walks a day which is the norm for most pet owners and won't eliminate unless.