Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

There's a new stray in town, sort of

ancientgirl
May 15th, 2008, 12:22 PM
About two weeks ago I started seeing a new stray around the area where Czarina hangs out. At first I thought it was one of the strays that live in the back of the complex. They have been doing a lot of improvements on the property and I thought maybe the noise scared it to another area.

I sat down where I sit with Czarina and kept my eye on new kitty. After a little while kitty came up to me and allowed me to pet her. This went on for about 2 or 3 days. Miguel was out sick, so when he came back I told him about her, and he saw her himself. I mentioned to him she or he was very friendly and I suspected there was an owner around.

Miguel said the president of the condo board has a cat exactly like the little stray, so I thought maybe the kitty had gotten away. We waited a few days and Miguel was able to ask the Dr. if that was his cat. He said no, but he knew who she belonged to.

:frustrated:Okay, now I get really mad. I told Miguel I knew she had to belong to someone because she was way too friendly to be a feral stray. Miguel then said it was odd that she belonged to the people the Dr. mentioned because he'd seen them the day before and they didn't mention losing a cat.

:rolleyes:I told him "that's because they didn't lose her they threw her out!"

Well, he said that since she wasn't already used to being outside, meaning if he took her home and kept her as in indoor/outdoor kitty she would not try to come back, he would take her home. The fact she's been an indoor cat and is litter trained made him want to bring her to his home even more, so I told him I'd take her to the vet and have her looked at. I told him to ask these women if the kitty was spayed, since he was also going to ask permission if he could take her.

Personally I told him to just take her. The fact she was outside, and the owners didn't even bother asking about her told me she was not wanted, therefore thrown out to fend for herself.

Here's where I really hit the roof. Miguel asked the owner if she would mind if he took her to his house, and the woman said "Oh yes please, I had hoped someone would take her and take care of her. I just don't have the time for her since we are traveling so much and I don't have the money for food."

WTH!!!! First, you don't have money for food, but you have money to travel? And instead of asking first if anyone was interested in a cat, you decide to just toss her out the door and fend for herself and hope someone takes her in? I told Miguel I didn't believe her fake compassion. She didn't want her cat anymore as it was a bother to her so she decided to let the problem fall on someone else's lap.

OMG what is wrong with people!!!

So now, Saturday I'm taking her in to the vet. We did find out she is spayed (thank goodness for small miracles!) and she's had her shots. I'll have the vet test her for any parasites or worms. I did put some Revolution on her last Saturday so hopefully she's negative on that. I'll also have them give her a bath as she was white with gray patches when I first saw her and as of this morning she's gray and um gray.

She's just the loveliest girl, and so friendly. I told Miguel if anything happened that he saw she wasn't going to work out to bring her back and I'd try to assimilate her into my gang. I think she would probably be more tolerant of other cats, since she's been trying to make friends with Czarina for a couple of weeks but only gets hisses and swats from queenie.

Love4himies
May 15th, 2008, 12:25 PM
:wall::wall::loser::loser: What is wrong with people.

Jim Hall
May 15th, 2008, 12:28 PM
are the animals down there lucky they got you and miguel
gald to see czarina is doing good

Love4himies
May 15th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Yes, Jim is right, this stray is lucky to have you and Miguel :angel2::angel2:

ancientgirl
May 15th, 2008, 12:44 PM
I hope things work out for her at Miguel's, but if not, even though I don't have room, I will try to keep her with me, at least until I can find a home for her. She's an indoor cat, and for someone to just toss her outside with no regard for what happens to her kills me. I mean, how did this woman think she'd eat? She's not used to having to hunt for food.

I think the only reason she's been hanging out in Czarina's area is because where she lived is on a bottom floor apartment just a few steps away.

Jim Hall
May 15th, 2008, 12:48 PM
well she's a cat she will be all right I see many cats out on the street they ar hunters you know?

And beesides cats arent relly happy in doors dont you know ?

cant think of any more dumbbell justifacations off hand

ancientgirl
May 15th, 2008, 12:49 PM
well she's a cat she will be all right I see many cats out on the street they ar hunters you know?

cant think of any more dumbbell justifacations off hand

:eek:Jim don't say that. I've got 4 indoors and if I didn't think they were happy I think I'd need to start taking my medication again.

Love4himies
May 15th, 2008, 01:36 PM

:eek::eek: That's it, kicking my cats outside, not wasting anymore money on food, they can feed themselves, besides, I need a hot tub, can't afford cats and a hottub!

krdahmer
May 15th, 2008, 04:41 PM
:wall::frustrated::yell:
Seriously where do all these losers come from?!?!!? And who is giving them cats?!?!?!?! :yell::sad:

Well thankfully this little one befriended the right hisser (how is sweet Czarina?)! And found you and Miguel! The resident :cat::angel:s!!! Hope it works out at Miguels with her... if she's tame it shouldn't be a problem, he just has to keep her indoors at first until she gets used to that being her new home. :goodvibes:

chico2
May 15th, 2008, 04:54 PM
You know,if I had any say in these matters,this kind of thing would be against the law and I wiould throw these people in jail:yell:
Nothing on this earth could make me throw out my cats to fend for themselves:evil:
Like everyone says thank dog for you and Miguel:angel2:

badger
May 15th, 2008, 05:56 PM
Too bad a good old public shunning is no longer available. I'd tell everyone in the building about it, in casual conversation.
Do you know what Number 43 did? Tossed her cat out like a piece of garbage. Thought it could live on fresh air, didn't she, etc.
Stick the scarlet letter on her.

ancientgirl
May 15th, 2008, 07:52 PM
:wall::frustrated:
Seriously where do all these losers come from?!?!!? And who is giving them cats?!?!?!?! :yell::sad:

Well thankfully this little one befriended the right hisser (how is sweet Czarina?)! And found you and Miguel! The resident :cat::angel:s!!! Hope it works out at Miguels with her... if she's tame it shouldn't be a problem, he just has to keep her indoors at first until she gets used to that being her new home. :goodvibes:

I just can't get over how easily people toss their pets out. She's spayed and has had her shots. How can you do that, care for an animal, then one day just toss it away?:sad: I will let Miguel know to keep her inside for a few days, so she gets used to that being home. Thanks for the suggestion.

The saving grace is she hung around close to her old home. That's why we were able to find her. Czarina is doing really well, thank you for asking! She's none too happy about having to share her area though, but she won't have to worry for long. She's very happy and healthy.

You know,if I had any say in these matters,this kind of thing would be against the law and I wiould throw these people in jail:yell:
Nothing on this earth could make me throw out my cats to fend for themselves:evil:
Like everyone says thank dog for you and Miguel:angel2:

I agree Chico. The arrest people for just abandoning their kids, why not give animals the same justice.

I'm doing the best I can. I wish I could do more. I've decided to save as much money as I can so I can move out of here in another year or two. Maybe find a small house to rent. Something with a yard where i an build a large enclosure so I can bring Czarina with me and have an extra room in the house for everyone to have plenty of room. *sigh* all I need is money. :mad:

14+kitties
May 15th, 2008, 07:56 PM
But but .... cats are quite capable of surviving on their own. They are members of the mighty lion family, right?
I had a neighbour quite recently who said no way would she let her cats outside. Hers just died a natural death. One moment alive, next moment dead in the chair he was on. She mentioned she might take one of the kittens. I asked her is she kept them strictly indoors and fixed them cause that's the only way these guys are going anywhere. She said of course. Next minute she's telling me she puts her cats out for the day before she goes to work. :wall::wall::wall:
Thank you for once again coming to a kitty's rescue. See, you are a rescuer. :thankyou:

ancientgirl
May 15th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Too bad a good old public shunning is no longer available. I'd tell everyone in the building about it, in casual conversation.
Do you know what Number 43 did? Tossed her cat out like a piece of garbage. Thought it could live on fresh air, didn't she, etc.

LOL, Miguel won't tell me exactly which apartment she lives in. I wish I knew, I'd put a sign on her door!

Kitty abandoner!!

ancientgirl
May 15th, 2008, 08:02 PM
But but .... cats are quite capable of surviving on their own. They are members of the mighty lion family, right?
I had a neighbour quite recently who said no way would she let her cats outside. Hers just died a natural death. One moment alive, next moment dead in the chair he was on. She mentioned she might take one of the kittens. I asked her is she kept them strictly indoors and fixed them cause that's the only way these guys are going anywhere. She said of course. Next minute she's telling me she puts her cats out for the day before she goes to work. :wall::wall::wall:
Thank you for once again coming to a kitty's rescue. See, you are a rescuer. :thankyou:

I don't think she remembers one minute to the next what she's said to you before.

Thanks for saying that. My best friend was telling me the other day if I ever got tired of my job I should do something with animal rescue.

I'd love to but unfortunately, careers in animal rescue don't pay much. Now, if I could find that sugar daddy to support me...:rolleyes:

Love4himies
May 16th, 2008, 08:25 AM

:laughing::laughing: good idea!