Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What do I do with my dog?!

super_pooch
May 15th, 2008, 12:47 AM
I have a 4, almost 4.5 month old puppy. She is a mix between a full basset hound and a mutt (they say she is chow but she looked like a large terrier). We have had her since she was 5 weeks old (too early, I know) and the potty training went very smoothly. We used to have her in a playpen in the den but now she's too big and whenever we leave the room she jumps out trying to get to us. Whenever she hears us she throws herself against the kitchen door? When we're downstairs, she will just sit by the sliding door and whine.

How do I get her to stop this?
We can't let her inside because she goes crazy! Running, barking, going under the sofas etc.

Also, we haven't socialized her nearly enough as we should have at this point. She has been around a variety of people but not any other animals. You see when we got her we had another dog (from the pound) who had only been there for 2 weeks. Well the other dog attacked her so we took that dog back to the pound. Now I'm afraid to even run into another dog when we go for walks or to the park.

What do you suggest? Is she too old for puppy socialization & training classes?

Lastly, she does not walk on a leash for anything! When we saw a regular leash would not work we got a harness but she still pulls and we can't keep her from twisting herself around our legs or walking in the wrong direction. Lately we've been experimenting with a slip collar leash (actually a lasso made of braided robe) and she does fine with my dad but with me she throws herself on the floor, like a kid throwing a tantrum

HELP! I know she is still a puppy but she is starting to be a menace.

Also, any ideas on how to make her exhausted so she won't bark constantly?

:pray::dog::shrug:

badger
May 15th, 2008, 06:28 AM
The dog experts will be here soon, but I would say run to puppy classes, they will definitely make a difference. In fact, her life with you depends on it, since you are already excluding her from the pack because of her behaviour.

catsnatcher-CDN
May 15th, 2008, 06:36 AM
My dog also came from the pound. He was 8 months old. Never socialized, never house-trained, never nothin'!!! AND he's half doberman, half nut!

After beginner's and intermediate classes and consistent training, he's become a great dog. Not perfect, but who cares!

It's hard hard work but worth every minute!
Good luck!

chico2
May 15th, 2008, 06:39 AM
While waiting for doggie pros,in my cat-owner opinion,shutting a puppy off from the family will never work.
She is lonely and frustrated needs more hands on training and socializing,a puppy is a lot of work,some more than others.
At 5 weeks she was way too young to be taken from her mom:cry:puppy school is definetly the route I would go:dog:

BusterBoo
May 15th, 2008, 06:56 AM
Definitely get to puppy school/obedience. Since you got your puppy at such a young age, she has never had the "training" from the momma dog. She needs to learn how to behave with humans and animals and obedience school should solve that.

As for locking her out because she goes :crazy: inside, you need to allow her to be a part of the family. She probably runs, barks and carries on because she is just so happy to see you and wants to play and spend time with her family.

She also needs to get used to a leash and a good trainer will have lots of helpful tips on that. Before you start actually taking her on walks, you have to get her used to the leash. Start slowly, in the house. Lots of praise when she walks well!!!

Give her some time, she needs to be a part of the family!

oh ya.....any pictures????? And what is her name?

Good luck!

DoubleRR
May 15th, 2008, 11:16 AM
You need classes asap. All the above posters are correct--she was far too young to leave her mother at 5 weeks, so has no basic training at all--the mother dog does indeed need time to start that.
Never exclude a dog from the family--train them to be part of it. As far as tiring her out--playing with other puppies--[find people in your area with young dogs] is the best way. Second best, long walks, but she needs to be trained to be on a leash--and that takes a lot of time on your part. To begin with, I would leave a long leash on her at all times when she is with you--preferably tied to your waist so you can control what she is doing while you are busy with other things. Please find a trainer soon--you are right, she is becoming a menace - to her own safety and to her future.

super_pooch
May 15th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Her name is Osita (little bear in Spanish)

It's hard to bring her inside because she has this over excitement issue that she just starts peeing! So I've learned when I get home, I go straight outside and don't touch her until she calms down. Then I pet her and we play. I'm going to try to puppy proof our den so she can come inside and we won't have to worry about her getting to the tv cables or anything else lying around (my little sister loves to draw). We don't mind that she barks (especially since the last time there was a coyote in our yard!:eek:) but just constant barking is a problem.

My mom will allow her in the den but she doesn't want her on the rug. Which I think is just silly. The rug is huge so it's almost impossible for her NOT to be on it. So I'm going to buy her her own mat so she can just sit and watch tv with me.

Thanks for your help

Oh and here's her pictures
http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/4920/l26b5eecc870e1724badfd4zn2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Love4himies
May 15th, 2008, 11:20 AM
I am not doggy smart, but do know that dogs need professional training to be good socialized dogs. IMO it is cruel to keep dogs away from it's family, they are pack animals and need the contact. You are only doing the dog harm.

super_pooch
May 15th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Oh another issue I saw:

We had three smaller children (ages 6, 5, 3) over last week. They have already been introduced to the dog and know how to play with her. Well the youngest was running and Osita would just chase him but she was on the outside. It really looked like she was herding him. It was wierd. Also she loves to jump and it's getting annoying. Well with these kids, if she jumps on them she is as tall as them! So I was out there squirting her with water so she would not knock them down.

Also, the licking? She constantly licks. Is it just a puppy thing? I'm assuming so but I hate that she has to lick everything (including her crate door:shrug:) I'm just glad school is ending so I can give her more attention. I'll be working but only 4 hours a day, 4 days a week in the early afternoon.

On another note, I'm trying to get my two sisters involved (considering my older sister says its HER dog) because I'll finally be transferring to Cal State Fullerton next Spring so I won't be there taking care of her. Also if she gets super attached to me it would be hard on her, me, and my family when I leave.

BusterBoo
May 15th, 2008, 11:35 AM
All the things you describe (jumping, barking, peeing) are typical puppy behaviour but it is so important that Osita (cute name!!! :thumbs up ) learn what is acceptable behaviour. Honestly, I think you need to find some puppy classes ASAP.

As for the licking, is she teething? Does she lick more at a particular time? Has she been vet checked since you got her? Being that she hasn't quite made it as part of the family yet, she may also be bored and licking just out of boredom. :shrug:

super_pooch
May 15th, 2008, 01:10 PM
All the things you describe (jumping, barking, peeing) are typical puppy behaviour but it is so important that Osita (cute name!!! :thumbs up ) learn what is acceptable behaviour. Honestly, I think you need to find some puppy classes ASAP.

As for the licking, is she teething? Does she lick more at a particular time? Has she been vet checked since you got her? Being that she hasn't quite made it as part of the family yet, she may also be bored and licking just out of boredom. :shrug:

Yes she has gone to the vet, for a checkup as well as for her vaccinations.

Melinda
May 15th, 2008, 01:27 PM
she definately needs puppy classes, and by the sounds of it, she needs a lot more exercise, ever hear the saying "a tired puppy is a good puppy"? very true, she needs a couple of GOOD hours a day exercise, if not more. She needs to be with her people and not alone in the back yard, especially if coyotes are lurking about. Get her a Kong and only give it to her when you want her calm in the house, teach her to stay on her bed/matt with it, a Kong will keep her quiet for hours.

super_pooch
May 19th, 2008, 08:49 PM
So yesterday was her first socializing experience and it went very well. My cousin's adopted a dog from the pound named Pax. He's a staffordshire bull terrier. We brought Osita in her crate inside the back yard and let Pax just smell her and check out the crate. They were both quiet, Osita calm but alert in her crate and Pax just relaxed walking around.

From there Tyrae (my sister's BF) held Paxton on his leash while my dad held Osita on her leash. Pax made the first move and licked her face. It was so sweet. You could tell he was raised with other dogs because all he wanted to do was play. Since she hasn't been around dogs for quite sometime, you could tell she was interested but didn't know how to play. Well he started play nibbling and she just walked around him. When my sister took Osita she started barking (like she does to us) and didn't expect Pax to correct her:laughing:

From there it got a bit difficult. Pax is neutered and Osita is NOT spayed. She is only 4.5 months but my dad guesses she is already giving off a scent. So Pax is trying to have his way with her so we had to separate them. Osita wasn't even interested that way. I want her to get spayed but my sister wants her to have puppies.

I'm trying to knock some sense into her.
Other than that Osita was great and was happy & tired!

Today we played with the hose. Any way to get her used to water?

LavenderRott
May 19th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Every person that has responded to this thread has mention puppy classes. Have you given any thought to this? It sure would go a long way to help you with literally every issue that you have mentioned thus far.

You really need to get a proper collar for her and she needs to learn to walk on a leash.

I have no idea how old your sister is, but she needs to do some volunteer work at your local shelter. I volunteered at a very small shelter in Idaho many years ago and it was a real eye opener. There really is no feeling in the world like have to euthanize kittens that you helped birth just because you can't find them a home.

The overpopulation problem is so bad in the State of California that there have been ongoing talks in the last year to make spaying and neutering mandatory. Conservative estimates are that 1.5 MILLION dogs are euthanized every year in the U.S. simply because they have no home. Spaying your pup before her first heat completely eliminate her chances of pyrometria and uterine cancer and greatly reduce the risk of mammary cancer.

super_pooch
May 19th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Every person that has responded to this thread has mention puppy classes. Have you given any thought to this? It sure would go a long way to help you with literally every issue that you have mentioned thus far.

You really need to get a proper collar for her and she needs to learn to walk on a leash.

I have no idea how old your sister is, but she needs to do some volunteer work at your local shelter. I volunteered at a very small shelter in Idaho many years ago and it was a real eye opener. There really is no feeling in the world like have to euthanize kittens that you helped birth just because you can't find them a home.

The overpopulation problem is so bad in the State of California that there have been ongoing talks in the last year to make spaying and neutering mandatory. Conservative estimates are that 1.5 MILLION dogs are euthanized every year in the U.S. simply because they have no home. Spaying your pup before her first heat completely eliminate her chances of pyrometria and uterine cancer and greatly reduce the risk of mammary cancer.

We are looking into puppy classes right now. It's just finding the right schedule since my sister works.

I told her it would be irresponsible to have our dog have puppies because first off, the overpopulation and unwanted animals and second because she would be transferring to CSULA