Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

food posioning?

Technokittie
May 14th, 2008, 11:09 PM
We are keeping a dog for a friend that was moving for about a week until we can get him to his new owner.

We went to bed and I blocked the trash and covered it in vinegar, when I woke up he has gotten into it..I had the bad taco meat in it.

He started vomiting light yellow foam, which I'm used to with dogs, i just figured he didnt like what he had eaten.

I put him in the bathroom for the next night because it has tile. When I checked on him in the morning he had left a nice solid pile and drool..so i let him out into the apartment and picked up the mess.

I went back to my room and heard him trying to get past the computer, which was odd since he didnt really like the pile of boxes next to it..so i check on him and he left a partially liquid pile of feces. I took him out, then proceeded to clean it up, thinking the trash really didnt bode well with him, but well bad food dosnt for me either.

He started vomiting darker yellow bile filled piles, and when taken out has started pooing liquid.

The vomit is now just thick clear mucus.

We have no money what so ever for a vet visit or anyone, we cant even afford groceries right now.

Is there anything I can do to help him before we can get the money too?

I was told some rice could help mellow him out.

he is drinking fine, but not really eating much, i figure cause his stomach isnt feeling well, so neither would I.

Is it food poisoning? He's perfectly hydrated and healthy otherwise, there seems to be no obstructions and he's healthy wise in the parasite district too.

hazelrunpack
May 14th, 2008, 11:21 PM
Vomiting and diarrhea in combination can lead to deadly dehydration. Until you're sure that it's just 'something he ate' and not a blockage or a serious infection, I'm afraid your best bet is to get him to a vet. Any way his future owner would help you out with the bill? It really is a good idea to get him there asap.

Love4himies
May 15th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Even though he is drinking, his body is not getting hydrated because of the diarrhea and vomiting. I agree with hazel, perhaps the new owners can help you with the vet bill. This dog really needs to see a vet.

Dr Lee
May 15th, 2008, 10:11 AM
We have no money what so ever for a vet visit or anyone, we cant even afford groceries right now.Is there anything I can do to help him before we can get the money too?

While I agree with the vet visit, here are some options that cost little to no money.

1) restrict food for 12-24 hours. Then, like you had suggested, offer something bland like cooked rice and low fat cottage cheese or cooked rice and boiled chicken.
2) Pedialyte. There is a non flavored version that is the best. In a pinch, gatorade can also work. We need to get not only water back into the system of a vomiting and diarrhea patient, but also electrolytes.
3) Pepcid AC (generic drug name is famotidine) can also be given but not if the vomiting is still frequent. I would call your veterinarian on dosage and to confirm that in your case, this would be beneficial.
4) Rest and keeping cooking smells away from him. If there is inflammation of the pancreas (pancreatitis), then cooking smells can help trigger it and keep the inflammation going.

Also vet bills on 'garbage gut' are sometimes inexpensive. Sometimes they may include just some antibiotics and recommendations. (sometimes more, but it is definitely worth at least finding out).

Good luck. :pawprint:

Technokittie
May 15th, 2008, 06:53 PM
thank you, his vomitting has stopped for now, but me and my fiance have agreed if it starts again and he's still sick by today then we will take him to the vet.

I tried the rice thing and he didnt eat it, but he still is guzzling down water, so I'll attempt something like gatoraid to get other fluids back in.

Dr Lee
May 15th, 2008, 07:02 PM
If the rice thing isn't working, then adding warm low sodium chicken broth can make the meal more enticing.:)

Technokittie
May 20th, 2008, 09:28 PM
He's fine, its stopped about a day after I last posted, and his appetite is in full swing again. He's jumping and bouncing around happily... so I guess it was just the bad taco meat.

But he again got slightly sick for a day when he licked the floor around the trash can..I try blocking it off and all.

Do you know how I can stop it? Vinegar didnt work, blocking it off dosnt work..he really likes trash. I think its because he was originally a stray and had to live off it for a while.

rainbow
May 21st, 2008, 12:22 AM
Can you put the trash in the cupboard under the kitchen sink or in the bathroom and close the door? It would only be until your friend comes back so should not be a big inconvenience for you.