Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

health risks of pregnant cat for human pregnancy

laburrita
May 15th, 2008, 12:07 AM
okay a few questions... I have a cat well maybe a kitten I canīt be sure of her age because we found her outside a laundry mat scrounging for scraps... needless to say we brung her home and she has been a great addition to the family.... If I had to guess I would say she is about 8 months old.. maybe 9... after everything I have read I know she is pregnant.... I am trying to get everything ready for her big day... I believe she still has a few weeks left..... her belly isnīt huge but it is getting bigger and she is eating like a horse....Here is my PROBLEM... I also am pregnant I know I am not allowed to clean the litter box (BOO HOO) but is there any risk in helping her during delivery if she needs it??? I donīt want to do anything to jeapordize the health of my unborn child... I can get my husband to help, in fact he is looking forward to it... I just wanted to be there and help out if she needed me.. Please let me know asap as I really donīt know how much longer she has.... thanks Diana

growler~GateKeeper
May 15th, 2008, 12:20 AM
To be sure she is healthy it is a good idea to take her to the vet for a checkup & they can estimate how far along she is then.

As for your pregnancy, the only thing which you already know is no litterbox cleaning. If this is your first pregnancy and you have no kids already make sure you prepare this cat & your other one for the coming baby - letting them smell the crib etc, listening to baby crying sounds to prepare, giving them attention separate from the baby.

welcome to pets.ca, thanks for rescuing this little girl. :)

badger
May 15th, 2008, 07:38 AM
A vet visit is a great idea. Are her nipples growing, along with her belly? Poor thing, thanks for taking her home.
She probably needs to be wormed but I think you might have to wait until after she delivers.
Even though she is young, the birth will probably go smoothly, and all she'll need from you is a box with some towels in a quiet place and lots of nourishment. The vet will be able to give you some tips as well.

14+kitties
May 15th, 2008, 07:42 AM
A vet visit is definetely in order. Are you sure she is pregnant and not full of worms? It's possible if she was scrounging for scraps. :cloud9:
Good luck and thank you for helping this little one.
And welcome to Pets.ca :D

chico2
May 15th, 2008, 07:45 AM
Double thank you from me for rescuing this little girl:thumbs up
I like the others,cannot see any reason why she would be a danger to your unborn baby.
But to be sure she and the babies are healthy,a vet-visit is a must.:cat:
Oh and Welcome to our Forum!!

danaekitty
May 15th, 2008, 08:27 AM
I have a question - How come she can't change the kitty litter if she's pregnant? Is it the smell or something?

P.S. :offtopic: I just accidentally ate the sticker off my apple.:laughing:

Love4himies
May 15th, 2008, 09:23 AM
Cat feces has a parasite or something, can't remember the name that is dangerous to human fetuses, so a pregnant woman should avoid cleaning a litter box.

Thank you for rescuing this poor girl. I agree a vet check should be done as soon as you can to ensure she is healthy.

She will want a quiet, private place to have her litter, a covered box or inside a small closet with old towels on the floor.

She should be on a high quality canned food to provide the water needed to produce enough milk to adequately feed her kittens. If you can give her human meat as well (raw is better) that would be best, she needs lots of meat protein.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Love4himies
May 15th, 2008, 09:29 AM
There is a podcast that Marko did with Dr Lee on diseases that humans can get from pets. It is archived in Jan 2008 #36. Not sure if the link will work.

http://pets.ca/blog/?p=56

Dr Lee
May 15th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Thanks Love4himies :lovestruck:

The main risk is Toxoplasmosis. Here is the CDC website link designed for pregnant women and this disorder. (read it after listening to the podcast of course:D)

http://www.cdc.gov/healthypets/pregnant.htm

And, of course, congratulations!:stork-baby:

Take care:pawprint:

laburrita
May 15th, 2008, 11:48 AM
okay she does not have worms... I wasnīt clear enough... I found her back in Oct/Nov. she has been living with us since then.. she was a completely indoor cat and is incredible... well we moved from the us to mexico and she has been an indoor/outdoor cat I was going to have her fixed.. I didnīt know she could get pregnant this young... I will definitley check into a vet I have to find one here... I am assuming they have them.... People come around in animal control trucks and give shots.... It is actually great.... if they see you have a pet they come right to your door and ask if they need vaccinated... and give you a card to keep track... The US needs something more like that... Anyways.... thanks for the advice... we are getting her a box with towels ready now because I want her to be used to it.... Thanks for the advice..... Diana:crazy:

Dr Lee
May 15th, 2008, 12:08 PM
okay she does not have worms...

Quick note: Toxoplasmosis does not often show up on routine fecal testing. For pregnant women, all cats should be handled as if they carry this organism!

Also here is a link on cat birthing:
http://cats.about.com/od/reproduction/a/birthprocess.htm

Take care. :pawprint:

Longblades
May 17th, 2008, 08:29 AM
Can I add a post with a lighter bent? We are childless but when my sister and girlfriends were pregnant they were also told to let their hubbies do the litterbox cleaning, just as an extra precaution. Well, my hubby misunderstood and thinks to this day that for some reason any woman should not clean the litterbox and he does our three. Far be it from me to set him straight.

chico2
May 17th, 2008, 08:53 AM
That is funny:laughing:
Litterboxes,picking up dog-poop and vomit,is strictly MY job:cat::dog:but hubby makes up for it in other areas:laughing:

Dr Lee
May 17th, 2008, 11:41 AM
That is great Longblades. :laughing::laughing:

growler~GateKeeper
May 18th, 2008, 12:33 AM
:highfive: right on Longblades - we won't tell him ;) :D