Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

sudden drooling, all else normal

Wendys
May 14th, 2008, 09:36 PM
I noticed yesterday that my 10-year old Corgi, Hunter, was very wet under the bottom of his mouth and through the top of his throat. I thought he was just a sudden messier drinker. Hunter has been fairly healthy except for a few unexplained growths that have shown up over the past year or so (the vet says don't biopsy), and he is fairly overweight (probably by about 20%). It was warmer than usual yesterday (reached about 80) and today (reached about 85). Other than our am and pm walks, he has been lying around in his normal cool places (like the bathroom floor). I now remember seeing little areas of big drops of water around the house the past few days, and thought my kids may have spilled water, etc. Hunter seems very healthy otherwise, eating, sleeping, playing normally. Any ideas? I don't have a thermometer at the moment. Thanks so much for your comments.

Love4himies
May 15th, 2008, 09:33 AM
I am not a dog expert, but was thinking it could be a sore throat or tooth ache. When he eats, do you notice anything different?

Perhaps a quick visit to the vet to have him checked out would uncover what is causing it.

Dr Lee
May 15th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Excess drooling can be from two main causes: increased production or decreased swallowing. Increased production can include inflammation such as bug bites, any disorder that causes nausea (stomach irritation from in appropriate food ingestion, kidney disease, liver disease, etc...), neurogenic causes, etc... Decreased swallowing can be from enlargement of the lymphatic tissue (tonsils or submandibular lymph nodes), dental disease, mandibular muscle diseases, esophageal or stomach issues.

If the drooling goes away on its own and does not come back, I often attribute these to bug bites or eating something funny. If the clinical signs are persistent then a quick physical and perhaps blood work may be beneficial.

Hope that helps.:pawprint: