Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Really strange ad

ancientgirl
May 14th, 2008, 01:58 PM
I just went downstairs to get the mail, here at work. Every week there's this magazine called The Flyer, I don't know if some of you guys know what this is, in the mail. It's basically like a little local paper thing that people put ads in. Depending on your area, you get different ads.

I'm looking for a couch, so I decided to look through this. I noticed the "Pets/Animals for sale" ads.

This ad in particular has me perplexed.

EXOTIC BLACK BOXER
PUPPIES, 2-Males, 2-Females, AKC Registered, Declawed/ Tails, First shots, $1,200-$1,800.

Do people declaw dogs too?:confused: I mean, am I reading it incorrectly or did they mean docked tails? The entire ad itself is horrible since I'm appalled they would dock a little puppies tail. :sad:

glasslass
May 14th, 2008, 02:03 PM
I hope they're referring to the dewclaw. On some dogs the dewclaw is really loose and can get caught on things. It's not unusual for that to be removed.

mastifflover
May 14th, 2008, 02:07 PM
I think or should I say I hope they mean dewclaw.

ancientgirl
May 14th, 2008, 02:19 PM
What's the dewclaw? Is it like in cats, that little claw they have on the side of their paw a little higher?

hazelrunpack
May 14th, 2008, 02:21 PM
I'm going to make myself believe that they're talking about the dewclaws. :eek: Dewclaws can be easily broken so in many breeds, they're removed. Often it's done when the pups are just a few days old because the surgery is much easier when the bones are so small.

hazelrunpack
May 14th, 2008, 02:23 PM
What's the dewclaw? Is it like in cats, that little claw they have on the side of their paw a little higher?

It's on the inside of the foreleg, up higher from the paw, closer to the wrist. They can get caught on brush, other dogs, carpeting, etc. during play and are easily twisted and broken. If they're broken later in life, the surgery to remove them is more involved.

ancientgirl
May 14th, 2008, 02:27 PM
It's on the inside of the foreleg, up higher from the paw, closer to the wrist. They can get caught on brush, other dogs, carpeting, etc. during play and are easily twisted and broken. If they're broken later in life, the surgery to remove them is more involved.

Okay, I see now. If that's the case, I'm hoping that's what they're talking about too. When I saw that I was like wth?

hazelrunpack
May 14th, 2008, 02:37 PM
:sorry: :offtopic: but are you anywhere near all the wild fires I've been hearing about? :eek: You guys definitely are overdue for some rain! :fingerscr :goodvibes:

ancientgirl
May 14th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Thanks for asking, but no I'm not near the fires. That's in central Florida, and I live in South Florida. But we've had some in the past down here, near the Everglades. When we had those, there was a constant blanket of smoke in the air.

The problem here, is we have gotten rain. As a matter of fact, last week it rained a few times, but nothing significant to help with the dryness and help with the water supplies.

Everyone down here is on water restriction. So you see people who have homes only able to water their lawns on certain days of the week for a certain amount of time.

hazelrunpack
May 14th, 2008, 02:52 PM
I hope you get some good deluges quickly then :fingerscr Water restrictions are a pain in the butt...but I guess if it's a choice between a green lawn and water coming out of the tap, it's a pretty easy decision. :D We haven't had anything even resembling drought this year--our last snow was April 28 and it's been raining every 2-3 days ever since. Wish I could send you some!

Sorry for the hijack :o

ancientgirl
May 14th, 2008, 03:00 PM
I live in a condo, so I've got no lawn to water. But still, the restrictions are affecting a lot of people. We need some rain big time. It's so incredibly hot here, just a few hours of rain could at least give some cool weather for a bit. Unless of course it's accompanied by humidity:frustrated:

No worries about the hijack:D

Oh, and maybe keep the rain, but send the COLD WEATHER!

hazelrunpack
May 14th, 2008, 03:02 PM
I will definitely try to push the cold weather your way...it's high on my list of priorities! :thumbs up I think it's about 54 here right now! :eek:

ancientgirl
May 14th, 2008, 03:07 PM
I think it's about 54 here right now! :eek:

Oh man, I hate you:laughing::p You are sooooooo lucky!

It's been in the upper 80's all week. This year we really only got a handful of "winter" days and that was back in February. Once we got into March, it's just been getting hotter and hotter.

want4rain
May 14th, 2008, 03:19 PM
our droughts last year and the one before took out several mature trees on our property. costing us over $400 to get them down this year.

it took more serious fines to get the Cary-ites to stop watering their perfect lawns.... amazing. Falls Lake was down TEN FEET, a record for the cities water supply... and Cary-ites were still watering their perfectly groomed lawns and paying the weekly $25 fine.*sigh*

-ashley

ancientgirl
May 14th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Oh yeah, we're at the fining stage too. We've been having nasty droughts for the last 2 years or so, and this is the first year I've actually not seen people watering their lawns when they aren't supposed to. Our big water source is Lake Okeechobee, and it's water levels are down big time.