Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

When it rains it pours again

Rottielover
May 14th, 2008, 07:32 AM
Well poor Tigger...
Last monday I brought him in because I really thought he was blocked, my sweet cat bit me, and was in real pain, so after 300$ later they gave him medication a catheter and special diet. Well since monday he has had severe diareah, and vomiting. Yesterday I stopped the meds hoping it was that, well my poor baby can not keep any food down either.
I thought it may have been the dry, but I tried feeding the wet, and the same thing. He has had this once before, and was put on medical, had to stop because of same thing. Now he is on Royal canine SO, and worse.
I left a message for my vet because he started losing weight, what other food can I try to help clear crystals, and have him digest ????
I do not know

Winston
May 14th, 2008, 07:41 AM
Rottielover I am so sorry you and Tigger are going through this...Do they know for sure he has crystals? When my make had some urinary issues the vet put him on Hills Brand CD (crystal diet) I know it wasnt the best food but it helped with urinary issues and he did not get crystals?

:grouphug: for your fur family!

Cindy

Rottielover
May 14th, 2008, 07:45 AM
On monday they did a urine test, he does indeed have crystals.
But they are not clearing because he can not keep the food down :(

Winston
May 14th, 2008, 07:50 AM
I have had not the best of luck trying to feed my 2 wet but what I have been doing is adding a bit of water to it to make it like a iquid form and they seem to eat a bit of it that way...Maybe you could try to water some soft food down and see what happens?

Cindy

badger
May 14th, 2008, 08:41 AM
What was the medication? Mousse is taking a combo, tetracycline/neomycine/prednisolone. My other vet has never prescribed it, I don't know why. I think the prednisone helps. Mousse had stopped eating too, and was vomiting clear liquid at least once a day. He also has fragile kidneys, not sure about the crystals but at one point they were suspected. I force fed him once and then after about 48 hours he started eating again and has not vomited since. He's on canned vet food. I have no illusions that this will be a cure, his kidneys are not great, but he is much older than your boy. I feed him anytime he shows the least interest. One tablepoon here and there adds up.
It's a battle, but I would try force-feeding small amounts; I think they get to the point where their tummy is so empty that food loses all appeal.
Stay clear of Cipro, it will only make the urinary issues worse.
This too shall pass, Rottielover.
PS The food is Hills k/d. I would avoid the dry like the plague.

Love4himies
May 14th, 2008, 08:45 AM
:grouphug:, sugarcatmom and growler should be able to give you some really good advice soon, they are so darn kitty smart.

I do give Puddles extra water daily by syringe, that way I know she is getting lots.

sugarcatmom
May 14th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Hi Rottielover,

Sorry to hear about Tigger's problems. It's absolutely crucial that he eat at this point, doesn't matter what. Try his old food. Try some plain chicken baby food (no onions) mixed with a bit of warm water. Try low-sodium tuna or salmon water. Of course all this is a moot point if he's still vomiting, so if that's the case, talk to your vet about something called Mirtazapine (http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&C=301&A=2552&S=0) (aka Remeron). It's a human anti-depressant that has anti-nausea properties and is a strong appetite stimulant for cats. Only needs to be given once every 3 days. I've used this on my cat before with amazing results.

As for food for the long-term, you don't need to feed the prescription food. Struvite crystals form in alkaline urine, and urine becomes alkalized from feeding dry food. It's imperative that you get Tigger on a meat-based wet food diet. If you can't do that right away, feed the vet food for the interim until you can (provided that's not what's making him sick). Under no circumstances should he eat prescription urinary tract diets forever. That can cause a whole host of other, even worse, problems that I won't go into right now.

Good luck, and keep us updated.

JanM
May 14th, 2008, 02:46 PM
I can't offer any advice but I sure do empathize with you. I hope and pray all goes well for both of you!

Ford Girl
May 14th, 2008, 03:22 PM
RL - hopefully it will get figured out and Tigger will get better. :fingerscr :goodvibes: :pray: I dont have any food advice. Pubert had to have an operation years ago for crystals. :sad:

Cats are so hard to diagnose and work with, from my experience...running tests, trying foods, hard to find an equal balance and get to the bottom if it.

Will it be hard to change foods and keep seperate from Mickey? (how is mickey anyways? :lovestruck:)

Keep us posted!!! :grouphug:

Lukka'sma
May 14th, 2008, 04:41 PM
I hope you get Tigger in tip top shape again real soon.:fingerscr

angeldogs
May 14th, 2008, 11:28 PM
I do hope you got Tigger to keep some food down.poor kitty.

Rottielover
May 15th, 2008, 05:40 AM
I spoke with the vet, she said until I can get the uretic, feed him tiny amounts of wet and see if he holds it down, stop their dry food. Well last night was the first night without vomit. Wohoo. :pray: he holds this mornings down too.
As for the diarrhea The uretic should stop it, or at least I am hoping it will.

Love4himies
May 15th, 2008, 09:23 AM
That is good news, RL, some cats if they are just a bit off, they won't eat, this is a really good step for Tigger:fingerscr