Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I am so Wissed Off

Shaykeija
May 14th, 2008, 01:57 AM
So, everyone knows, I just adopted Quincy. ( Can we all say foster failure?) Well tonight at work someone asks me if I can find a good home for their 7 year old Lhasa girl. So I get that prune look on my face and ask why she wants to give up her cherished pet. She is retiring next week and plans to travel and will not have any time for her. Piss me right off. So, I spent about 5 hours on the phone and when I got home, I went to visit my neighbour. We are going to do a meet and greet next week. He will take this darling fur baby in. I hate this crap. Poor baby will be so confused.....:frustrated::frustrated::wall:

growler~GateKeeper
May 14th, 2008, 02:09 AM
ah what's wrong w/these people :shrug: :frustrated: :wall:

:grouphug:

:fingerscr for it working out w/your neighbour :goodvibes:

rainbow
May 14th, 2008, 02:18 AM
Another flippin :loser: ....I really can't believe how people can be like that. :sad: :frustrated: :wall:

Thank goodness for people like you, Shaykeija. :angel: :grouphug: I hope all goes well with the doggy and your neighbour. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

jealma
May 14th, 2008, 06:26 AM
I just don't get it. How can someone have a pet for 7 years and than just give it up. I've only had Abby 5 months now and I would just die if anything happened to her or I had to give her up. You have a great heart, I'm so glad there is people like you who do help these poor pets. Imagine that dog loving that person for that long and than just tossed out of the way. My dog acts like her whole world is me when I come in the house. If I go up stairs and come back down you'd think I'd returnned from a day outting by the greeting I get. Even if I didn't love her, ( which I do so very very much) how could you just toss a love givin to you so freely aside.

Love4himies
May 14th, 2008, 07:35 AM
I don't get some people either. I could not give up my pet to travel! They travel with me.:wall:

I am like you jealma, I get so attached to my pets, they are like my children.

How kind of you to help this dog:angel2:.

angeldogs
May 14th, 2008, 08:12 AM
Thats just wrong.the dog could travel with her.the only time i wouldn't is if i was flying over seas.other then that the dog would be with me.I hope the meet and greet goes well

BeagleMum
May 14th, 2008, 08:13 AM
It is so sad how disposable some people think that pets are.

joeysmama
May 14th, 2008, 08:33 AM
I have to leave Cooper for the weekend and it's making me so sad ! He'll be with my cousin and she and her teenage girls carry him around and baby him but still......I'll be worried sick and missing him like crazy.

Can you imagine just giving your furbaby away so thoughlessly ???

ancientgirl
May 14th, 2008, 09:35 AM
I've only had my gang for a year and a few months, and I can't imagine being parted from them for any length of time. Heck, I haven't even taken a long weekend since I got them because the last time I was asked to go on one, I was so panicked about leaving them I just didn't go! Why the heck can't the co-worker take her dog with her? And will she be gone so much she can't leave her pet at a good kennel or with a friend while she's away?

People are unbelievable. I hope things go well with your neighbor. Thank goodness you found someone to take the little one.

badger
May 14th, 2008, 09:47 AM
I would demand a fee if you think you can get away with it. The dog is likely to need vet care in the next few years and food ain't cheap. Make the :censored: pay.

kiara
May 14th, 2008, 11:55 AM
I could never give up my pets for any reason and can't figure out why other people would ? Better re-home than dump on the street or drive out to the country and let it fend for itself. At least she has some heart!

mastifflover
May 14th, 2008, 12:05 PM
I have to leave Cooper for the weekend and it's making me so sad ! He'll be with my cousin and she and her teenage girls carry him around and baby him but still......I'll be worried sick and missing him like crazy.

Can you imagine just giving your furbaby away so thoughlessly ???

Not at all ever. I know I have to leave Clark for a night and I am stressing about it. Even though he will be with my next door neighbour who he adores.

glasslass
May 14th, 2008, 12:09 PM
What goes around comes around. Wonder how this retired couple will feel a few years from now when they're put in a rest home and the kids don't come to visit. This issue is all about their values, which they've probably passed on to their kids.:frustrated:

Frenchy
May 14th, 2008, 12:32 PM
She is retiring next week and plans to travel

I hope all her trips suck :frustrated:

Someone from our rescue contacted me last week , she talked to a lady that wanted us to take her 11 yr old golden , not neutered , not good with other dogs .... she said she doesn't have time anymore for the dog :wall:

... and people wonder why some of my replies are negative in some threads ....

ancientgirl
May 14th, 2008, 12:43 PM
11 years old, not neutered, not socialized with other dogs?

Sounds like she NEVER had time for her dog.

DoubleRR
May 15th, 2008, 11:31 AM
11 years old, not neutered, not socialized with other dogs?

Sounds like she NEVER had time for her dog.

My thoughts exactly.

It amazes me as well that people consider pets so disposable. I have issues with people euthanizing fish to make room for a prettier [to them] species. I am way beyond issues with abandoning dogs and cats--either on the side of the road or to anyone who will take them. Never have been that fond of humanity, altho I am trying to keep educating rather than blasting like my first instinct wants to.

super_pooch
May 19th, 2008, 10:20 PM
So, everyone knows, I just adopted Quincy. ( Can we all say foster failure?) Well tonight at work someone asks me if I can find a good home for their 7 year old Lhasa girl. So I get that prune look on my face and ask why she wants to give up her cherished pet. She is retiring next week and plans to travel and will not have any time for her. Piss me right off. So, I spent about 5 hours on the phone and when I got home, I went to visit my neighbour. We are going to do a meet and greet next week. He will take this darling fur baby in. I hate this crap. Poor baby will be so confused.....:frustrated::frustrated::wall:

I don't see how that is so bad. At least she cares enough to find this dog a new home instead of abandoning it or giving it to the pound.

Shaykeija
May 20th, 2008, 12:26 AM
I am pissed because I am involved in small dog rescue. And this person wanted shared custody with the new owners. WTF? She wanted me to babysit this dog for 6 months. She thought I ONLY looked after small dogs. She is not even upset that she is getting rid of her baby as she calls her. I find this kind of animal dumping heartbreaking for the pet who has loved their person for so many years.

badger
May 20th, 2008, 12:30 AM
Share custody? She wants it all. I would agree to a few emails but visits? Forget it. She should also sign the dog over since there is a chance when she returns from her travels she'll want the little darling back.

rainbow
May 20th, 2008, 01:11 AM
I agree....make sure she signs all rights to the dog over to the new owner. Has your neighbour met the little girl yet?

LavenderRott
May 20th, 2008, 06:04 AM
I don't see how that is so bad. At least she cares enough to find this dog a new home instead of abandoning it or giving it to the pound.

A pet is a lifelong commitment. When you get it, you need to think about that. Older dogs are harder to rehome, everyone wants puppies or young dogs. A lot of times, an older dog in a foster home becomes a permanent foster.

Also, after you have done rescue work for a while you learn a lot about human nature. Someone who thinks it is fine to get rid of an older dog because it now takes up "too much time" probably didn't bother to take the time when the dog was younger to properly train and socialize.

It is kind of like giving your kids away when they are teenagers because you suddenly have to spend so much time taking them to after school functions and social events.

chico2
May 20th, 2008, 08:41 AM
I also like to add,beeing retired myself,retirement is the time in your life,when you can really enjoy your animals fulltime,especially us,emptynesters.
We travel about twice/year,but giving up my 4-legged kids??
The thought would never enter my mind.:cat:
Good luck to this little pooch:pray:

ancientgirl
May 20th, 2008, 08:50 AM
Not to mention, a person who has no issues doing that, will no doubt do the same once the new pet becomes older. Or worse, what if they become ill or develop a behavior problem? That's the kind of person who won't work with the dog/cat to try to find out why it's doing those things and could turn into a habitual pet abandoner.

Frenchy
May 20th, 2008, 12:36 PM

:confused: because pets are not disposable , they are not pieces of furniture that you give / sell when they bother your little life.

Shadow's mom
May 20th, 2008, 01:11 PM
How sad for that little pup to have be resocialized with a new family. We love to travel with our big girl and there are so many hotels/motels that cater to dog owners now that it's pretty easy, especially with those collapsable go anywhere canvas kennels. Good luck with your rescue/adoption.

twodogos
May 21st, 2008, 02:36 PM
for 11 days i was more stressed out about getting out to get home to my dog than i was for my kids or my fiance (humans were allowed to visit me but puppy was not). I get stressed just thinking about going away for a couple of weekends and not taking the dogs and my 2 week honeymoon in December is going to probably be the longest trip i take away from my babies. I just dont get how someone can just give away their dog for such ridiculous reasons. When we had to put our old dog down (had a cancerous tumor) and i cried for a week. If my fiance would let me i would be taking in a million dogs that needed homes.

ancientgirl
May 21st, 2008, 03:26 PM
Twodogs I agree. When I look at big houses I always think of how great it would be to live in a house like that so I could have lots of pets!

The thing is, there are so many pet friendly hotels these days! I get Cat Fancy and they had a really nice article about how many hotels now are catering to people who have cats and dogs. So much so they have little spas for them and the room comes with pet bowls, beds, litter boxes and you can even get room service for them!

So really, if traveling were an excuse in the past, it's not anymore.

want4rain
May 21st, 2008, 03:33 PM
I hope all her trips suck :frustrated:

i second that notion!!

... and people wonder why some of my replies are negative in some threads ....

:grouphug: i dont think anyone questions your right to be snippy. not even in the slightest. :grouphug:

ive had to leave the cats for 2 weeks before, thankfully a friend of ours that they knew well stayed with them. we are looking at leaving Mister when we to go Up State NY to visit Chris' parents. we thought about renting a larger car to bring him with us but they have a very old golden who really enjoys his peace and quiet. the real deal breaker was when a friend of ours kicked out an email asking if anyone needed a house sitter over the summer... her mom is doing some remo. anyways, i dont feel TOO terrible about leaving hiim and the cats behind- i know we will be back and normal life will resume.... there are so many pups and cats that normal life doesnt. :(

i was listening to my Kelly collection today and this song and it made me cry-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrbPUQXjNlA

the lyrics if you want them-

I'm strong, but I break
I'm stubborn, and I make plenty of mistakes
Yeah I'm hard, and life with me is never easy
To figure out, to love, I'm jaded but oh so lovely
All you have to do is hold me
And you'll know and you'll see just how sweet it can be
If you'll trust me, love me, let me, maybe, maybe

Someday when we're at the same place
When we're on the same road
When it's okay to hold my hand without feeling lost
Without all the excuses
When it's just because
You love me, you let me, you need me, then maybe, maybe

All you have to do is hold me
And you'll know and you'll see just how sweet it can be
If you'll trust me, love me, let me, maybe, maybe

I'm confusing as hell
Yeah I'm north and south
And I'll probably never have it all figured out
but what I know is I wasn't meant to walk this world without you
And I promise I'll try
Yeah I'm gonna try to give you every little part of me
Every single detail you missed with your eyes
Then maybe, maybe, yeah maybe, yeah maybe,
maybe, yeah maybe, yeah maybe

One day, we'll meet again and you'll need me, you'll see me completely
Every little thing, oh yeah maybe, you'll need me, you'll love me, you'll love me then

I don't want to be tough
And I don't wanna be proud
I don't need to be fixed and I certainly don't need to be found
I'm not lost, I need to be loved, I just need to be loved
I just want to be loved by you
And I won't stop cause I believe that maybe yeah maybe

Maybe yeah maybe
Maybe, maybe
I should know better than to touch the fire twice
but I'm thinking maybe, yeah, maybe you might,
Maybe, love maybe

-ashley

super_pooch
May 21st, 2008, 03:54 PM
:confused: because pets are not disposable , they are not pieces of furniture that you give / sell when they bother your little life.

I'm not saying that. But isn't it better if an owner can no longer care for a pet to find it a decent home?

LavenderRott
May 21st, 2008, 05:16 PM
I'm not saying that. But isn't it better if an owner can no longer care for a pet to find it a decent home?

It isn't that she can't care for it - she doesn't want it to interfere with her "fun". If she was in poor health and going to be hospitalized for a period of time and unable to care for her pet, there isn't a single member here that wouldn't jump to help out. But that is not the case at all. She wants to travel and is willing to put her dog out to do it.

FYI - I haven't gone on a vacation in years. Nobody to watch my pooches.

chico2
May 21st, 2008, 05:41 PM
IMO,the day you bring home that puppy/cat,you make a commitment to this animal,to care for him/her for the rest of his life,I would even say just as much as you would with a human child.
We have been fortunate enough to have my son stay at the house with the cats,if we did not,we would be staying home.
A little dog could easily accompany the owners on vacation and if not,there are arrangments you can make,sometimes costly,but if you can afford a vacation,you can afford to kennel your dog in a good kennel.
Also,like twodogos says,whenever we are gone,which usually is twice/year,I cannot wait to come home to my kitties.
Dumping an animal after 7 yrs,because he now cramps their lifestyle,is just thoughtless and incredibly selfish,they obviously do not care much for that poor pup:sad:

coppperbelle
May 22nd, 2008, 06:22 AM
We have a few years before retirement but all our plans involve travelling with our dogs.
Many times I am contacted by people who can't or won't keep their dogs anymore. I just hate it when they call their dog "their baby". If it were their baby, they wouldn't be getting rid of it.