Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Getting female stray cat spayed: Shes always pregnant!

kathryn
May 13th, 2008, 11:43 PM
Since I moved into my new house, there's been the same Momma cat hanging around outback. I continually try to get her spayed, but what happens is she has a litter, comes back to me for feed, then disappears for a while, and comes back pregnant again. It's never ending. Is there something I can do to like, stick her somewhere (shelter, foster home??) for a little while to let her have whatever kittens she's having and finally get her fixed! I read you can do abortions in cats to get them fixed, and personally I am pro-choice, but in humans. The idea of aborting a mother cats kittens without her permission (my main problem!) makes me want to cry.

What happens if I just basically grab her RIGHT after she has a litter and spay her? From everything I know you can't do that because it won't work cause she then won't be able to nurse or whatever, because then won't I basically be responsible for her kittens dying?

So I feel like this is a loosing situation all the way around. I let her go, she keeps breeding. I catch her and she turns out to be pregnant, I feel horrible for aborting the kittens. I catch her and she was nursing, something bad happens.

I'm just at such a loss.

I'd bring her in myself, but I have 7 cats already and I live in a 2 bedroom townhouse. We don't have a basement or any room other then my room or my moms room where we could lock her up.

Also, before anyone tries to say I need to work on the overpopulation problem and whatnot, I know that. Fortunately there is not a problem here and my county in particular is basically No-Kill in every way ('cept for totally sickly/dangerous animals) so yeah, I know theres got to be a way to do this that won't result in any death.

As for right now about 2 weeks ago she showed up skinny and I was like.. okay you were fat yesterday... and ever since me, my mom and dad and my neighbor have been doing everything we can to find out where she had these babies, or if she even HAD any and if the lived.

Today she looked round again. I mean she only POSSIBLY had the kittens 2 weeks ago how could she be looking pregnant again already?

What is going on with this cat.. this needs to stop.

Oh and she's not feral (i pet her!!) but shes really beat up and has a broken tail (always been like that nothing i can do about it) and I worry that no one will be interested in her at the shelter and she might just be 'put out of her misery' or something crazy because she's just soooo beat up and scruffy and I'm willing to pay whatever to make this all work out.

Thanks everyone.

growler~GateKeeper
May 14th, 2008, 01:18 AM
Are you sure she was actually pregnant? Could she have been "fat" from a recent mouse/bird catch?

If she was/is constantly pregnant & having litters, there is only on solution - find the kittens they shouldn't be hidden too far away, if you can get them & mama somewhere safe till she has weaned them & get them all fixed.

If she is currently pregnant have her spayed the kittens aborted if not too close to term & prevent her from a never-ending cycle. As for your area not having an over population issue - well every area does, as long as there are animals in shelters/pet stores/ferals/strays there is not enough homes for them all.

14+kitties
May 14th, 2008, 07:27 AM
Thanks for caring about this little one.
First off - I agree with growler. Are you sure she is pregnant or is it a good feed or even worms?

If she is letting you pet her then there are options to what you can do. If your area truly is a no-kill then you should have no issues with taking her to a shelter so she can get the care she desperately needs.

How do you know she is happy about being pregnant? Maybe she is very very tired. I know the ferals we have around here sure seems to be. If you can get her when she is not close to term it is a simple matter of taking her in for a spay. I am all for pro choice too, in humans. I had one litter this year born dead, another one I have found one dead baby. Not sure if there are others yet. There is another one who's one is very very tiny @ 5 weeks. I am still not entirely convinced he will survive. I don't know, I think I would rather be relieved of the responsibility than have to deal with that.

Another possibility - If you could get your hands on a large dog crate you could make it comfy for mom. It is large enough that she has lots of room to move around and the babies would be safe from the other kitties in your house. Word of caution though. The kittens will be able to squeeze through the bars so you would have to put cardboard or something around to stop them. You can look for used crates in papers, kijiji, lots of places.

As for getting her spayed after litter is born... the kittens need to be weaned completely and then mom's milk needs to dry up. Ideally about 2 weeks after being weaned. By that time everything is shrunk back to normal and surgery would be easier.

kashtin's kin
May 14th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Some really good advice and ideas from growler and '14+'... The timing for a feral/stray spay can be a bit tricky, but especially since this poor perpertual? momma is a not wild, somehow restricting her to an area like a garage or a large crate/cage in a shelter would hopefully be feasible.

The first feral momcat I spayed was already 'with kitten' again by the time I trapped her; I had tried really hard to nab her before she got pregnant, but just didn't make it. Luckily, she was not too far along, so the vet was able to abort the litter. It wasn't a procedure that made me jump for joy, but there really are too many cats everywhere, and with their 'speed breeding' that almost rivals rabbits...far better kittens that aren't born than ones that have little chance of finding a home, and/or suffer in many ways.

It is great that you care about this cat, and do want to help-that is a big thing. But don't be afraid to 'think outside the box', and keep an open mind. This BB has some very knowledgable and caring cat/feral/stray people ready to help you problem solve/brainstorm.

If you've got more questions or concerns, please keep the dialogue going by posting again and keeping us updated. There are always different people on the BB at different times, so over the course of a few days you'll likely get a some more feedback. There's an excellent chance that things can work out spay-wise with this overworked momcat, so :fingerscr, and good luck.

kiara
May 14th, 2008, 07:34 PM
This poor female should be trapped and checked by a vet and then fixed. She has had a life of pregnancy and misery! If I was you and she was found to be healthy, I would give her a home. A beat up cat has no chance of getting adopted, you know how people are!!! What's one more to add to your brood??? She is so deserving of peace and happiness!!! I am a cat rescuer and I have a stray at my home. He came to us in such a terrible condition, (that it made me cry at the vet's) very skinny, his legs had been burned in a small area, so he needed antibiotics. He smelled of garbage, so he must have been in a dumpster, since there are several restaurants in our area. We needed to fatten him up. His skin was dry and dirty and full of dandruff. We looked after him and helped him get healthy, he has been here for a while. We were away for a week and when we came back he was so happy to see us. He was running around the house with a huge kink in his tail. (I think he thought that he was being abandoned again). Strays really appreciate you helping them!!!

kathryn
May 14th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Hmm okay you all make good points. Okay, like today I was petting her and she is what I would consider to be too thin. As in, since I take care of all the strays that end up in my yard, she's thin, but her stomach expands to be all round..

...Worms? Like ... yeah I kinda see what you mean now. Like those kids on TV who are in africa and skinny but yet they have big round stomachs.. thats what you all mean right?

I have a crate... I used it for when Socks had her babies.

I think....... I think I am going to have to just lock her up somewhere. Is she going to get mad? My grandmom has an enclosed patio/porch type thing...

I mean I *could* sign her over to the shelter and get her back(TNR), but to be honest I would rather handle it myself if possible instead of dumping her off on the shelter..

But yeah, she is beat up. Like total typical alley cat. I think she's been abused at some point. She showed up around the same time Socks showed up but wasn't friendly at the time or I would have probably ended up bringing her in too.

Her tail looks like someone caught it in the door or a gate, but it's already healed I think I said before so not like anyone can do anything about it.

Adoptions aren't up to me. I live with el parents. Mom says "NO MORE IN TEH HOUSE11111!!!"

I take care of my outside cats though it's not like I just feed em and that's it.

Blahh... you know what I might just be able to ask my vet tech friend for help.

http://i25.tinypic.com/20rljj8.jpg

Belly's round, lack of body fat around spine area. Tail bone in broken area fully fused, skin a bit loose, fur not too great either.

By the way, she is the cat out there in the worst condition. All of my other stays look 20 times better then her and are much healthier... this poor Momma is just so beat up I feel awful.. anytime I WANT to get to her to help her out she poofs and it's like argh no matter what I do.

Can I pay to board her at a kennel and have medical treatment provided that way or does it not work that way.....

14+kitties
May 14th, 2008, 10:35 PM
Hmm okay you all make good points. Okay, like today I was petting her and she is what I would consider to be too thin. As in, since I take care of all the strays that end up in my yard, she's thin, but her stomach expands to be all round..

...Worms? Like ... yeah I kinda see what you mean now. Like those kids on TV who are in africa and skinny but yet they have big round stomachs.. thats what you all mean right?

worms as in round worms, pin worms, tape worms, many types of worms. Usually can be treated with pills from the vet. One or two doses 10 days apart

I have a crate... I used it for when Socks had her babies.

Then that would be perfect for her to re-coup in. Are you positive she has no newborns around? Please check before you put her in the crate. You can check her nipples to see if it looks like they have been "used" lately. It is very easy to tell if she is nursing.

I think....... I think I am going to have to just lock her up somewhere. Is she going to get mad? My grandmom has an enclosed patio/porch type thing...

Is it important if she gets mad? She will get over it. The important thing is she gets the help she needs. That help includes having a vet checkup and getting spayed/wormed/needles.

I mean I *could* sign her over to the shelter and get her back(TNR), but to be honest I would rather handle it myself if possible instead of dumping her off on the shelter..

But yeah, she is beat up. Like total typical alley cat. I think she's been abused at some point. She showed up around the same time Socks showed up but wasn't friendly at the time or I would have probably ended up bringing her in too.

Her tail looks like someone caught it in the door or a gate, but it's already healed I think I said before so not like anyone can do anything about it.

Adoptions aren't up to me. I live with el parents. Mom says "NO MORE IN TEH HOUSE11111!!!"

I take care of my outside cats though it's not like I just feed em and that's it.

Blahh... you know what I might just be able to ask my vet tech friend for help.

http://i25.tinypic.com/20rljj8.jpg

Belly's round, lack of body fat around spine area. Tail bone in broken area fully fused, skin a bit loose, fur not too great either.

By the way, she is the cat out there in the worst condition. All of my other stays look 20 times better then her and are much healthier... this poor Momma is just so beat up I feel awful.. anytime I WANT to get to her to help her out she poofs and it's like argh no matter what I do.

Cats are pretty smart that way. :)

Can I pay to board her at a kennel and have medical treatment provided that way or does it not work that way.....

Most kennels will not board a sickly cat. They need rabies shots, up to date needles, and a clean bill of health in most cases.
Good luck!

Love4himies
May 15th, 2008, 10:42 AM
You are very kind to try to feed the strays. :angel2:

My Sweet Pea, who has had who knows how many litters, stomach swells when she eats, almost like she doesn't have the muscle mass to keep it in. I thought it was just due to her just giving birth, but it has been a year and is still doing the same thing. It was very, very noticable when I first got her as she was extremely skinny.

I hope you can trap her and get her spayed:fingerscr

kathryn
May 15th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Neighbor was over today to check out a little of kittens in my yard (Yes that mom is friendly now and will be spayed when shes done nursing!! no worries with her she loves us now) and she was saying how one other Mommy *their names are Momma and Mommy I know I'm bad at naming* has a round belly somedays too and then looks skinny then looks fat, but theres no evidence of any kittens being born within the last 3 months other then the ones I have in my yard I care for and a litter I sent to the shelter with their mom. I wasn't really attached to that mom and she got trapped and so I just brought her the kittens and the shelter is taking care of them.

My neighbor is thinking worms too.

All of the Tom Cats have been trapped and sent to the shelter. There are currently no un-neutered males roaming , but I know they can come from far away.

There's a clinic this Saturday but my moms working..... I think I should just take her to it and have them decide what to do. The more I think about it the more I get confused and you guys are right...

I just asked my mom and I think we should just try to do this clinic thing even though she has work, I can have my grandmom take me up to drop her off.

It's only 35 dollars and I already had 4 cats fixed by that shelter that does it and they do a good job.

I'll let you guys know tomorrow if we can get her into it.

http://www.ccasnj.org/clinic/clinic.html

I'm going to that 35 dollar one. Will be getting her eartipped.

Will provide medical treatment after that too for any fleas/worms she has.

Is it okay to get her fixed if she has worms ???

14+kitties
May 15th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Yes, it is. Worms are intenstinal. Also, fleas cause tapeworms. If she is a feral that is probably what she has but better safe than sorry. Worms can pass through feces from one cat to another. They can pass from mom to kittens. Unless she has a very very severe case I can't see any problem.

And thank you so much for helping out all of these kitties. I am sure they appreciate it. :highfive: kitty :angel:

Frenchy
May 15th, 2008, 09:07 PM
kathryn , thank you so much for doing what you do , considering your age :thumbs up I don't know too many teens that get this involved :o

kathryn
May 16th, 2008, 12:58 AM
She's in heat!! Thank goodness! I was worried she was preggo already but nope! A family down the road has a rouge cat who I was told was a girl but everyone is saying it's a boy. He's been yowling and chasing her down allllll night. He has never done this before and I'm sure they've met before.

So now I know that I am RIGHT on time and she will be getting fixed on Saturday for 35$ and I don't have to feel guilty about any possible kitten-abortions because ya, that just freaks me out. So I'm glad I will be able to get her fixed before any boy cats can grab her or even if they do I will be doing the equivalent of a woman taking plan b; preventing implantation. I can deal with that.

After that there 3 more to go. 1 will be no issue I practically adopted her. The other 2 are extremely shy so that will be a toughie... but I'll use my trapper on them hopefully.
:D

growler~GateKeeper
May 16th, 2008, 01:04 AM
If you can trap her now & bring her either in the house or garage - somewhere that the male cat can NOT get to her please do it before Saturday.

Thank you for looking out for all the little ones in your area :thumbs up

14+kitties
May 16th, 2008, 09:00 AM
If you can trap her now & bring her either in the house or garage - somewhere that the male cat can NOT get to her please do it before Saturday.

Thank you for looking out for all the little ones in your area :thumbs up

Good point growler. If she is going to be fixed on Sat. then she can not eat anything after 8pm on Friday.
Great work on getting her spayed. As Frenchy mentioned earlier - you are one amazing kid!!!!
:thumbs up:thumbs up

Love4himies
May 16th, 2008, 09:05 AM
Good luck!!!!!!

You are an :angel: kathryn.

ancientgirl
May 16th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Good luck with these kitties. You're doing such a great thing helping them. :thumbs up

kathryn
May 16th, 2008, 10:40 AM
After I ran out there and broke them up last night it started to ran so I'm sure the neighbor cat went home and Momma got to go hide.

Once she comes around for dinner tonight which usually happens around 4 or 5 and then she'll stick around for a while after that. We actually will be able to lock her up in the shed. There's already a litterbox in there because Buddy sleeps in there sometimes.

If she's a stray though do you think she'll even use the litter box?

I told my mom to go get the big dog crate from my grandmoms/aunts house wherever it's at because I don't think she'll get the point of using the litter box and will end up going all over the shed. And I'm sure my mom will yell at me to go clean it up >_<

So it would be better to set up the crate in the shed and keep her in the crate with a bed and a litter box right?

And water of course.

ancientgirl
May 16th, 2008, 10:47 AM
I've only had experience with really one stray, and when I brought her into my apartment, she only used the litter box to poop. She didn't cover it up, but that was the least of my problems. She peed everywhere else but the box.

The others with more experience should be able to give you more info on that.

kathryn
May 16th, 2008, 10:43 PM
Figures it would rain today, and of course she wouldn't come by for dinner :mad:

Shelter is nice though and already said if I couldn't get her in for tomorrow they would allow me to bring her right to the shelter and get her done for the same reduced price.

Wish it hadn't rained!!! All of the cats were hiding today and the all only stopped into the yard for a couple minutes and then left. I saw her around 11 AM but it was too early to catch her and my mom was at work still. She ate and ran. Same with the other cats.

>_<

I'm still going to get it done though they understand.

kashtin's kin
May 17th, 2008, 06:48 AM
Rats, if you're unable to have gotten her in today to spay (due to above challenge), but great if the clinic will do her another day :thumbs up. As for ferals/strays using the litter box, when they're been brought inside to a crate or room for temporary holding, all the cats I've had have used the litter box no problem. Actually, most have been real 'neatniks' compared to some of my spoiled/lazy?! :rolleyes: indoor cats. As long as the box is clean, and large enough-and you're maybe able to show it to the cat...:fingerscr for everything!

kathryn
May 17th, 2008, 12:14 PM
I found her when she came by for breakfeast. I know I was supposed to keep her overnight cause she wasn't supposed to eat, but it was pouring rain and all the cats were hiding and me and my neighbor are the only people who feed them in the area and we didn't put any food out.

So it's all good.

She comes and looks in the backdoor and is like HI FOOD TIME PLZ so it was like 7:30 in the AM and my mom was in the kitchen making breakfeast and saw her, so she opened up the shed and the cage and quick swooped her up from behind and locked her up. She was mad mad mad!! But she'll get over it.

Total cost came to 55$$ cause they convinced my mom to do a treatment of Revolution for 20$ that would kill off all the worms/fleas/ticks/mites etc so my mom was just like sure whatever go ahead and do what's best.

So not Momma kitty will be all better and no more darn babies!!

I hope they don't say anything cause of her broken tail like thinking we hurt her or something. I doubt it though.

kashtin's kin
May 17th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Always good to hear that there is one less poor baby-machine momcat in the world. Instead, a healthier spayed gal who won't be raising endless litters! Way to go on giving this cat a MUCH better life :thumbs up. All the planning and cat-nabbing plus the $$ can be a challenge, but I always feel as if I've won one more battle in the feline s/n war!! Congratulations, again :D.

ancientgirl
May 17th, 2008, 03:22 PM
You and your mom make a good team! I'm glad you were able to get her and the Revolution treatment was a good idea. I doubt they will think you hurt the cat. Great work!:thumbs up

growler~GateKeeper
May 17th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Excellent! :highfive:

Now this grrl needs a name ;) :D

chico2
May 18th, 2008, 08:30 AM
Kathryn,I just read all your posts and all the excellent advice you have from our wonderful kitty:angel2:'s.
I don't know how old you are,but your mom must be really proud of you,your compassion and love for these little guys is amazing:lovestruck:
I am happy you have a clinic that will spay/neuter at a very reduced price,but still,it adds up.
However,you are saving a lot of little lives,worth every penny.
:grouphug:to you for doing what you are doing:cat:

kathryn
May 18th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Lol I'm 16 :p I had to leave regular school because of medical problems and I really didn't get along with anyone so I spend my days taking care of my cats when I'm not reading and stuff like that. So of course I get really attached to the cats when I spend all morning with them.

Okay, now important question. Momma's belly got kind of swollen and her boobies are hanging too. She wasn't like this before the surgery. The same thing sort of happened to my cat though. Socks had a litter and then got spayed about 3 months later so it sort of seems like the same kind of ucky swelling Socks got.

I have some pain meds from Tripod getting his leg amputated (see my other thread) but he's not in pain and is really content. Is it okay if we give Momma a dose of the pain killer?

It is

Torbutrol 1MG but they are cut in half he gets one every 12 hours but it doesn't seem like he's in pain at all, so can we give a half of a pill to her? She's about the same weight as him.

katherine93
May 18th, 2008, 09:17 AM
Hi there Kathryn! so happy to hear from somebody that is around the same age as me and just as passionate about animals! :) Very awesome what you've done for the kitty! keep up to good work!

kathryn
May 18th, 2008, 02:18 PM
She's in the house now in the crate. We are keeping her until atleast tomorrow cause it's raining out and her belly is swollen and we want to make sure she's okay. Still need to know if .5mg of the pain meds is okay.

Same thing happened to my cat so I know that she's not like, going to die or anything but I need to monitor her and probably get her that medicine my cat had to go on when her belly got swollen.

chico2
May 18th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Sorry Kathryn,it's a long weekend here in Canada,that's probably why nobody has answered.
UnfortunatelyI don't know if it's ok to give her painmeds,or why her tummy is swollen.
I realize you want to give her some relief now,but I honestly do not know,have never given pain-meds to a cat,although I've had cats most of my life. Good Luck with the little one:cat:

ancientgirl
May 18th, 2008, 04:55 PM
When I brought the gang home from their S&N, I got some pre measured syringes and .5mg is the amount they gave me of pain meds. But, I don't recall the girls tummy being swollen. Can you call the place you took them and maybe get an after hours number?

kathryn
May 18th, 2008, 05:40 PM
I think I'll call them tomorrow. It's 5:30 now so I think they close at 4 or 5 on Sundays. She is not bleeding or having any other issues, she just has her boobies and belly swollen and it is making her a bit uncomfortable. She is sleeping, eating and drinking water properly. She's confused on the litter box so she's been peeing on the towel we gave her so we've been changing the towel after it starts to stink and giving her a fresh one.

I can't remember what I gave Socks when this happened to her but it was some antibiotic that just made the swelling go down.

Her nipples are sticking out though as if she were nursing but there were no kittens. We are sure of that we think they were born stillborn or died or just flat out never existed. Like a phantom pregnancy.

She's not happy being locked up but she's not distressed or freaking out or anything. Mostly is just like giving dirty looks like let me outta here! No biting, hissing or growling though. She's being a pretty good girl.

I can try to get a picture of her belly but it's doubtful. I only have a camera phone and you might not get very much detail out of it.

growler~GateKeeper
May 18th, 2008, 11:10 PM
Definately do not give her the pain meds, unless you have spoken w/the vet who did the spay. Is there a emergency clinic in your area you can call to ask advice?

Neither of my girls had any swelling or pain meds after spaying :shrug:

kathryn
May 19th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Here's a pic

http://img45.imageshack.us/img45/9638/051908114801vl4.jpg

NOTE: NOT AS BAD AS IT LOOKS. Only have a 2 mpx camera phone. Lighting was poor. It's not as red or purple as it looks. It's just swollen. It's going down though.

Mom thinks she'll be fine but I'd like for nothing bad to happen to poor kitteh =[

She's eating, sleeping and pooping and acting normal but just kinda bored. She figured out how to use the litterbox sorta today! She had been going on the towels we were giving her before.

ancientgirl
May 19th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Have you been able to contact the clinic?

It does look bad, but not terrible. If the swelling is going down I imagine that's a good sign. Can you toss a little toy in there? Something she can bat with her paws to keep her from getting too bored?

Winston
May 19th, 2008, 12:28 PM
I think if she is eating pooping and not appearing in pain and the swelling is going down just keep her resting. She looks like she has been an outdoor girl...I think the longest possible rest you can give her before she is returned outdoors is the best medicine. After all her stitches need to heal from the inside as well. You are so wonderful in helping her out? I guess she cant stay since you have so many? Have you given this little sweetheart a name? or maybe I missed it! Lots of tlc and rest and she will never have to worry about babies again!!!

Your an Angel! :angel2:

Cindy

kathryn
May 19th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Okay I was hoping for it looks bad but not horrible or terrible.

I'm trying my best to amuse her. I've been letting her sleep but I have a ton of toys so I can just let her borrow one of my cats many many toys.

The outside cats are welcome in when it's bad weather once they are fixed + shots. That's how I ended up adopting Buddy.

I think I'll make my mother call someone when she gets done work to see what to do.

She's still got the litterbox down! She got litter stuck to her feet and so I reached in there and cleaned her up the best I could. She got all mad but didn't bite, just got up and walked to the back of the cage to ignore me.

ancientgirl
May 19th, 2008, 01:05 PM
I think that's a good sign, that she's using the litter box. I hope you can convince your mom to let you keep her.

chico2
May 19th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Kathryn,you are simply wonderful for helping this little girl out,hopefully the swelling is not bad news.
I only had a girlkitty once,the rest were only boys,neutering is so much simpler.
It's a good sign she's eating and using the litterbox,:thumbs up
Give your mom a big hug,tell her how wonderful she is to let you bring all these kitties inside and help them.
How is our little Tri-Pod doing??

kathryn
May 21st, 2008, 06:06 PM
We let her go today because she was getting antsy and the swelling went down alot more and she didn't look inflamed at all. She's doing fine I haven't seen her yet today because she is probably mad. Plus is just started to rain so I doubt she'll be back for dinner.

growler~GateKeeper
May 21st, 2008, 11:25 PM
Did they use dissolving stitches? Or are you gonna hafta catch her again for removal?

kathryn
May 21st, 2008, 11:52 PM
They use dissolvable ones at the clinics. They said expect them to be gone within a few weeks, 3 months tops.

Did I mention I got her ear tipped too?

She's all good to go. Hope to see her by the end of the week. She's probably pissed off at us for dragging her all over the place and keeping he from going outside >_< She'll get over it though I guess, I hear they all do (strays/ferals)

growler~GateKeeper
May 21st, 2008, 11:56 PM
Tipped :confused: You mean tattooed?

kathryn
May 22nd, 2008, 12:07 AM
http://alleycat.org/pdf/eartipping.pdf

No, tipped, Just incase. She's all beaten up and is nice to me, but if she was ever picked up by animal control they would know right away that shes fixed and taken care of and not some crazy rabid cat or something.

Like I said, shes really beaten up and just a total alley cat. I am taking as best care of her and just want to insure that if she ever did end up getting picked up they'd know she was taken care of and nothing bad would happen to her.. The shelter that takes strays is extremely low kill, but still not no kill....

I won't be getting this done for Three Legged Missy though because she is in good shape and friendly and I wouldn't worry about her at the shelter for a second.

growler~GateKeeper
May 22nd, 2008, 12:21 AM
hmm I didn't know about that - thanks for the info :)

I can see how that would be an easier way to tell just by looking @ the cat & not having to re-trap.

chico2
May 22nd, 2008, 07:23 AM
I've never heard of that either,but it's a great idea:thumbs up
I am glad she's feeling better,she might stay away for a couple of days,beeing miffed at you,but hunger will surely bring her back.
:pray:She's ok..
Glad to hear Missy is ok too/

danaekitty
May 22nd, 2008, 08:48 AM
This is my first time reading this post, and I'm am blown away by the care you have given all your kitties, especially this one! She is very cute, by the way.

I would say call the vet that spayed her before giving her any medication. I've spayed/neutered all my cats, and have never given them anything for the pain. Cats deal with their pain quite well, and I would feel uneasy about giving her something that was prescribed for something else...:shrug:

Also, from what I hear, this hasn't happened to me, but lots of cats put on weight after they are spayed, or sometimes the scar tissue from the surgery gets engorged, but I thi8nk it's too early for any of that.

Good luck, and we all think you're amazing for doing so much for all your cats!

kathryn
May 22nd, 2008, 05:38 PM
Still haven't seen her back but the lawn care people were hear today, then it was raining, so everyones hiding still.

Also, while I'm here, one of my other strays named Tigger got trapped and sent to the shelter back in March, but my neighbor was attached to him and readopted him back. He was sick with some infections so he had to stay at the shelter for a couple weeks to get the proper care. Then they neutered him. He's been back for a little over a week.

Thing is one of the cats (Jack and Buddys mom) is in heat and we couldn't catch her in time and my OTHER neighbors cat was roaming and caught her. But everyone is still up her butt, including Tigger. He keeps getting on top of her and stuff, but when he came over to me for me to pet him I yanked up his tail and it LOOKS like he's neutered, but I actually can't tell for once.

Any idea what this could mean? The shelter never ever adopts out without fixing them first :shrug:

ancientgirl
May 22nd, 2008, 08:35 PM
Maybe he got neutered as an adult and he's just doing something he remembers:shrug:

chico2
May 23rd, 2008, 08:13 AM
Kathryn,I could be wrong,but I believe a neutered cat will still try to mount a female in heat.
He does not know that he is missing a vital ingredient.

I know Rocky sometimes gets in the"mood"and tries to mount Chico:laughing:but Chico will have non of it.
Kudos to your neighbor for saving Tigger:thumbs up

kathryn
May 23rd, 2008, 11:40 AM
He's being such a goof. I can pet him, then he gets all weirded out and walks away from me and stuff. I think he's just all excited to be back home from the shelter and is making up for lost time.

Also, I saw Momma cat today and didn't get to go near her because shes mad at me, but she was eating and ran away from me just fine. Her belly wasn't hanging or anything so that looks like a good sign.

Question: I don't feel like making another board.

The cat Tigger I am talking about has crossed eyes. Is there any explanation for this? He's ALWAYS been like that and its not related to the infection he had because he's all better now. His pupils are not in the middle, but towards the inside of his eyesocket and up towards the top, as if he was looking up at his forehead.

chico2
May 23rd, 2008, 04:41 PM
Kathryn,maybe he is a Siamese mix,two of my friends Siamese are crosseyed,it looks really cute though:cat:

growler~GateKeeper
May 24th, 2008, 02:35 AM
Sounds like Tigger may have Siamese or a related breed mixed in his background. The crossed eyes apparently do not affect their vision very much, if at all, same with people who have slightly crossed eyes their vision can be fine or one eye compensates for the other.

kathryn
May 24th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Mhkay. He's a mix of all kind of breeds. Anythings possible and he sees fine. I used to wonder if he was able to see okay so I would wave my finger around infront of his face and he would move his eyes to follow it, then I'd poke him in the nose and he'd sort of look down to see it.

Oh and the Momma is doing fine I've been seeing her around and petting her. She has saggy cat-boobs for whatever reason but otherwise no swelling and her skin is back to a normal color. I was petting her and fed her wet food so atleast she's not that mad anymore.

chico2
May 24th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Kathryn,that's great,I am sure she'll be fine and most important of all,no more unwanted kittens:thumbs up
I was wondering,you are so young,what brought this love for cats on in you,the feeling of wanting to help so many unfortunate kitties?
Was it something you learned from your mom?

kathryn
May 25th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Well my mom always let me have lots of pets and stuff... but it was mostly because I am home during the day I would just see these cats and they were so cute so I'd be nice to them and try to help them. Some of my neighbors are idiots and complain about the cats, but its not like its the cats fault they are out there, so I figured I should just help them out since most people are just mean to them.

ancientgirl
May 25th, 2008, 12:04 PM
If more people would take the same attitude, that it's not the cat/dogs fault they have no home, then maybe there wouldn't be so many in need of homes.

Of course if the owners would have done the right thing and had their pets spayed it would be a different matter. But that's another story.

I commend you for doing as much as you do to help these cats.

chico2
May 25th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Well Kathryn,your mom must be a great lady and you are a wonderful young girl for doing what you do for all these unfortunate kitties.:grouphug:

catmundu
May 26th, 2008, 11:05 PM
wow, kathryn, u blow me away! :angel2: i haven't logged in to the forum since '05 when i needed help with a feral litter that fell into my lap (translation: the floorboard of my car). :D the advice u were given was better than i could have given. the forum comes through again! :thumbs up i'm amazed by your compassion and perseverance - i wish there were more people out there that cared and followed through as u have done! u are awesome. :angel: