Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dachsie with back problem

maggie 07
May 13th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Hello everyone: I am new to your forum and just recently joined.
I was wondering if anyone on the board owns a dachsie that has had a back problem.
I have a 6yrs old miniature dachshund which presented with a back problem just over a week ago. We have had her to the vets and she is on dextabs.
Today we are finally seing some improvement in her, but it has been sad to watch her laying about and in pain. Her name is Maggie and she is such an activie little dog.
I have read about chiropractors for dogs and did research on one close by, has anyone here experienced taking their dogs to a chiropractor?
I was wondering if any members could offer me advise for a dachshund with back problems. Hopefully Maggie will improve in time but our vet discussed having surgery for her down the road, something we are hoping to avoid.
We have restricted her movements, no jumping or running, on a diet and we carry her to the bathroom. We also had another dachshund that had back problems but this did not present themselves until he was over 12yrs old.
We would appreciate any suggestions and advice for our little Maggie

thankyou Maggie 07

thanking you in advance

ancientgirl
May 13th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Hi, welcome to the board. I'm sorry to hear about your little dashsie. I hope she gets better soon. I don't have a dog and don't know much about them, but one of my cousins had a little dashhound a few years ago. I remember her telling me her vet mentioned that they sometimes develop back issues because of how long they are.

I don't know if there's any truth to that though. Have you looked into any forums or boards devoted to them? :shrug:

Frenchy
May 13th, 2008, 09:23 PM
I don't know if there's any truth to that though. Have you looked into any forums or boards devoted to them? :shrug:

I know someone who has 2 of those little guys. One has her end paralyzed but has a set of little wheels .... I would try to find if there's a specific forum for that breed , or maybe a specific rescue that you could ask for advices.

ancientgirl
May 13th, 2008, 09:38 PM
I don't know if this will help, but I found this online site online.

http://www.dachshund-dca.org/index.html

Here's one of the articles I found in the Health section:

http://www.dachshund-dca.org/discbook.html

rainbow
May 14th, 2008, 03:29 AM
SnowDancer will also have lots of good advice for you when she logs on. :thumbs up

Poor Maggie :sad: :grouphug: ....I hope you can find something to help her soon. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

bendyfoot
May 14th, 2008, 10:41 AM
http://www.handicappedpet.net/helppets/

Try here. There are message boards for people with pets dealing with back/mobility problems, and many are dedicated Dachie owners. They'd be able to make some recommendations or offer their experiences.

SnowDancer
May 14th, 2008, 12:24 PM
MAGGIE - I just typed a way too long reply and I timed out and lost it. So in short - PLEASE DO NOT take your pup to a chiro or to an acupuncturist. I have been through this twice with my 2 special soul mates and in our cases every single disc in their backs and necks were affected. I would get a consult with a neuro as soon as possible. The surgery is absolutely not cheap and there are no guarantees, but if it works, boy does it work. Even if your pup regains only 70% use of his body that will be enough. You will need the "special" X-Rays a neuro can do and they are very expensive and a fair part of the whole surgical price. The X-Rays done by your vet will show calcification of course but not to the extent that the neuro's will. The neuro might determine that your pup is not a candidate for the surgery. Our first guy was a pioneer and lived and could outrun everyone - until 11 years of age. He was 1 1/2 when he had his first "event" and suffered 2 more until surgery became an option. This is why when our second angel paralyzed in 15 minutes on June 15, 2003 we went ahead with emergency surgery because in his case there would have been no hope after 12 hours - as it turned out he had Stage II which cannot be diagnosed ahead of time and at his follow-up we were told to expect a final paralysis within a year - actually it was 10 months to the day of his surgery that this happened. He was also 6 when he paralyzed. He did not present the usual symptoms and without any time to think of course we went ahead based on our previous success. It may be that your pup may require surgery only on a couple of discs rather than all of them which to me sounds like day surgery as I am sure you can understand. The neuro will be very upfront with you. In Toronto there are neuros, but they will not operate without a 24 hour window so due to our emergency we had to race to Guelph - but what a wonderful clinic. You are doing the right thing keeping your pup quiet, but I have to suggest that you keep in a crate - a small one - and continue as you are doing and keep on the meds. If you can afford it, please ask your vet to arrange a neuro consult as soon as possible. We now have an Eskimo as I just couldn't go through the pain and fear of this disease again - and it is on the rise. A couple of Eskies went through disc disease last year and the owners did not have surgery - as recommended by their vets - but went the chiro route and spent about as much money as the surgery would have costs - and then in both cases the dogs paralzyed and were put to sleep. If your dog was 12 I probably would not suggest the surgery - recovery is hard, but the results when the surgery works are wonderful. Last year my Eskie wouldn't jump up on to the bed as usual - we were at the vet's in half an hour - turned out he had pulled a muscle, but back problems scare the heck out of me. Please let us know how your pup does and give a very gentle hug from me and a tiny piece of cookie (have to keep that weight down).

maggie 07
May 14th, 2008, 08:03 PM
Thank you all so very much for responding to my post, I have looked up the links you have all posted and found much information.
Maggie is slowly improving, today she moved about a bit and headed downstairs before my husband could stop her. We are limiting her movement and carry her up and downstairs now. It is so good to see her improve a little, at present she is in pain again and sleeping. By night she is feeling her back problems, which is probably a natural course.
Thankyou all again, I have lots of reading to do and appreciate the concern you have all shown,

thanks

Maggie

ancientgirl
May 14th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Please keep us posted about Maggie's progress! Good luck!

SnowDancer
May 14th, 2008, 11:39 PM
maggie, You need to crate her - and trust me I know how hard it is - my dogs have never been crated - except for the back issues. Certainly back in the day when Dachshunds were kept at the vets on meds until maximum movement was regained it was very hard on Mommy, but it did help the pup. Keeping it up when our guys came home was extremely difficult. Actually our first guy was super brilliant and somehow managed to get his not nearly so brilliant Dachshund brother to nose open the latch on the crate and exchange places with him - and then shut the door. I returned to the bedroom and there was Duke on my pillow looking very pleased and a very bewildered Dachshund locked up in the crate (also on the bed) wondering how this happened. So the latch had to be "proofed". As movement returns your pup feels she is better and starts to move about - which most definitely will not help her situation. I wish your pup the best of luck.