Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I. Am. Going. Mad.

want4rain
May 13th, 2008, 12:33 PM
i have a female cardinal hanging out on the window sill... banging. she has been banging on my window for...... 4 days now.

ive yelled, banged back, thrown the door open and yelled back, i cleaned my plants off the table and planted a CAT up there.... there is a picture of an owl, a hawk shadow... the last thing i can do is put a stinking sheet up there but then i would have to put holes either in the wall or the window frame and i am LOTHED to do that.

:wall::wall::wall:

she does this EVERY STINKING YEAR!!!

-ashley

Love4himies
May 13th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Cardinals are one of my fav birds, I love their songs.

I heard of this not too long ago and they thought it was because they saw their reflection and was trying to get rid of the competition. No idea if that was true.

Doesn't it drive your kitties crazy??? Mine would be trying to get through the window at it, lol.

Frenchy
May 13th, 2008, 12:39 PM
she does this EVERY STINKING YEAR!!!

-ashley

Same here ! In my living room windows , but I think it only happens in the fall ... not sure .....

want4rain
May 13th, 2008, 12:47 PM
i great a brain over the last few minutes and sprayed vinegar and water all over the window. its working for now. i dont think its her reflection. i think she wants IN the house.

ive actually really enjoyed them this year. we have a Coopers Hawk that lives in the neighbors yard and every time they hunt in our back yard the cardinals freak out and attempt to chase them off. their 'danger' call is quite interesting as is their 'all clear' call. vastly different from their normal day to day or mating calls.

-ashley

want4rain
May 13th, 2008, 12:54 PM
so much for that idea.

-ash

Jim Hall
May 13th, 2008, 12:58 PM
well it heard how wonderfull a house you have for animals and wants part of it

i had a pair that used to set on the feeded and scold me if there wasnt any sunflowers eeeds out there

Love4himies
May 13th, 2008, 01:01 PM
i great a brain over the last few minutes and sprayed vinegar and water all over the window. its working for now. i dont think its her reflection. i think she wants IN the house.

-ashley

:eek: even with the cats in the house, is she nuts, oh right, just brain dead, lol.

CearaQC
May 13th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Maybe she wants to talk to you about something. hehehe

In your shoes I'd be more curious and see what was the deal.

A couple of years ago my inquisitiveness got the best of me. I saw a baby robin out of its nest and it was POURING rain. I went out in the rain to get the poor creature and stick it underneath my lilac bush so it could have some protection from the rain. Wrong thing to do. Apparently mom and dad just kicked it out of the nest to train it to fly. I got attacked by two adults. :laughing:

Melinda
May 13th, 2008, 03:58 PM
for 4 yrs now my mom has a wren that does that to her car mirror, both sides, she has bird "poop" on her mirror where he "scrambles" up it, poop down her door, up her window, this is a daily occuranance, she finally had to make two drawstring bags to put on the mirrors everytime she parks the car, and if hers are covered they will go to whoever is visiting her and do it to theirs...so if anyone knows how to stop this, we'd really appreciate it, she's filmed it happening and everyone is stumped, none of the neighbours have this problem and their driveways are only 12 feet apart

want4rain
May 14th, 2008, 09:15 AM
she has been doing this for over 3 years to my knowledge. the last few years we stuck Cailyns homework on the window to block the view... she would peck at the littlest breaks in the papers. i just sprayed soap all over the window to give it an opaque look. she isnt banging on it as much as she was yesterday but she is still trying even though she cant see through it, there is no reflection....

im totally stumped!! its even in a blue birds territory!! the blue birds get miffed at her and try chasing her off every so often.

-ashley