Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

wormy dog

missymoo
May 13th, 2008, 03:10 AM
hi all, i haven't posted in a while, been very busy with active little pup!

right...she's always been wormy, i've wormed her at the right times and she was due for her wormer at the end of this month, i noticed at the weekend she was stretching and slopping her chops (she seemed very dry) i just put it down to the hot weather we'd been having, when last night she vomited 2 worms (looked like round worms), i was motified and gave her a pet shop wormer, now i'm worrying that the wormer won't be strong enough and should i give her another wormer? the past 2 nights she has wee'd on the kitchen floor, i can only put this down to worms as she's usually very clean, shes very active at the moment, should i take her to vets or deal with myself, thanks for your time in reading this, missymoo.

missymoo
May 13th, 2008, 05:41 AM
hi been to the vets and got a stronger wormer, are some dogs wormier than others? i had a collie cross and she never got worms, yet ruby, who is a jack russell cross norfolk terrier, has always been wormy, it's so gross!

hazelrunpack
May 13th, 2008, 10:29 AM
Depending on the type of worms, some meds might work better than others. And we haven't had much luck with off-the-shelf wormers--we just go right to the vet now. That way we're sure we get the right meds for the problem and there's no question about proper dosage. :thumbs up

The general worminess might just be that she's more prone to scarfing things down in the yard than your past dogs. Ours are equal opportunity grazers and we have lots of wildlife in the area, so we worm ours three times a year as a matter of course (we used to test them first, but it was always positive, so we save the cost of the test and just go right to the meds now :rolleyes:). Because we have so many dogs and they need to be wormed so often, we order the meds in bulk through the vet.

So, missymoo...do you have any pictures of this active little pup? *nudge nudge wink wink hint hint* :D

Love4himies
May 13th, 2008, 10:36 AM
I have always had my cats wormed by the vet, never used off the shelf items, too scared.

rainbow
May 14th, 2008, 03:45 AM
I also have only used the worming meds from the vets. :)