Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Strange, very stange :S.

onster
May 12th, 2008, 10:34 PM
Onnie has a new obsession. It started when my mom went to Montreal and now that she's back he wont stop.

They have a water dish next to their food and the day my parents left to Montreal I started hearing this shuffling sound. It was Onnie moving the bowl. Every day the floor was soaking wet and he'd move the bowl at least a metre or 2. There is also a cup in my shower (onnie only used to drink from that) and a cup on my brother's bathroom countertop. Again he has started to shuffle them across the surface, knock them over.

It's just really strange. We'll all be sitting in the living room and suddenly "whack...shuffle..whack..shuffle".

I just dont get it???:shrug: It definately corresponded with my mom's leaving :confused:

onster
May 12th, 2008, 10:36 PM
I changed his water every day as usual when mom wasnt here too. Any ideas?

growler~GateKeeper
May 12th, 2008, 10:55 PM
Was your mom the one who always changed the water?

:shrug: Onnie was upset that your mom left, little separation anxiety issue, his peeps weren't all where they should be

onster
May 12th, 2008, 11:00 PM
My mom always changed the water next to his food bowl, I changed the water in my shower and in my brother's room. My mom also has a cup in her shower (ok so maybe we cater to the cats too much :o hahaha...but Onnie when he first came only drank from cups). The reason we put it in the shower is cuz again, when he first came to our home, he would pat the cups, knocking them over. He stopped that tho and never went as far as to shuffle them across the room...weird.

It's prob just a weird seperation anxiety thing like u said..I know he loves my mom and brother best :cry: He doesnt sit on my lap but will do that for them, even tho i feed him and brush him and cuddle (try to) :frustrated:

He won't stop now either :frustrated:. It's kind of dangerous cuz we almost slipped in the kitchen several times with the water everywhere ...maybe we might have to take that bowl away entirely :shrug:

growler~GateKeeper
May 12th, 2008, 11:05 PM
My sister's :rip: :cat: also used to play with the water bowl right from the time he was a kitten :shrug: same thing bat it across the room spilling as he goes. She tried various kinds of dishes, always the same, even ones that were a little heavy. He finally stopped when she bought a water fountain :shrug: I guess he just couldn't move it or it wasn't as interesting to play with :laughing:

onster
May 12th, 2008, 11:08 PM
LOL

maybe Onnie thought I was too boring, he had to entertain himself somehow and now he's decided it's too much fun to stop :laughing:

We actually bought him a water fountain when we first got him to fix the knocking over the cup thing, never took to it so we ended up returning it...figured it was cheaper to have cups in every shower too. Of course as soon as we thought of that idea he stopped knocking the cups over..of course, it can't do any damage, how is it fun anymore?!? :crazy:

They have us trained well :evil:

Jim Hall
May 12th, 2008, 11:24 PM
well theres always super glue i love the picture of water cups ever where in the house gimoy my former three legger did that too i went though about 5 diff bowls and she would e fascinated if i put some ice in the bowl

onster
May 12th, 2008, 11:30 PM
Is it cruel that a favourite, bored lazy afternoon pastime of mine is to play "bob for ure toy" with Onnie? :o:laughing::crazy:

:o I put the puppy kong/one of his mice into the water and he bobs for it, carries the soaking wet toy across the room. I grab it and do it again :o I'm so mean...*hangs my head in shame*

lol

he's always so shocked to see the thing floating in the water too :eek: :laughing:

Ure tripid sounds like he was quite the character! :crazy:

Ice cubes eh...hahaha maybe we should play bob for the ice-cube :evil::party:

growler~GateKeeper
May 12th, 2008, 11:40 PM
That's good mental stimulation ;) and he obviously enjoys the playtime :party:

onster
May 12th, 2008, 11:42 PM
lol, i wouldnt say enjoys so much as tries to prevent his favourite posessions from drowning by the crazy lady.

Funny that he will put his favourite toys in his water bowl for safe keeping and leave them there. God forbid I should do that for him, they must be removed at once!! lol

oh kitties, never will understand them fully.

growler~GateKeeper
May 12th, 2008, 11:47 PM
Either that or he's trying to drown them to make sure they're actually dead :laugh:

onster
May 13th, 2008, 12:01 AM
:laughing::laughing:

hazelrunpack
May 13th, 2008, 12:42 AM
Some of the Pack like to push their water bowls around, too. We now put them on an old hand towel et voila! No more sliding bowls. Lots of very wet hand towels, though. :D

onster
May 13th, 2008, 12:45 AM
what a sensible solution hazel! will try it! :thankyou:

hazelrunpack
May 13th, 2008, 01:00 AM
Onnie will hate it. :D

onster
May 13th, 2008, 01:07 AM
lol...Ill just have to tell him madame hazel did it :p

Chris21711
May 13th, 2008, 09:25 AM
What a party pooper Hazel, what is Onnie going to do for fun now :crazy:

ancientgirl
May 13th, 2008, 09:36 AM
well theres always super glue i love the picture of water cups ever where in the house gimoy my former three legger did that too i went though about 5 diff bowls and she would e fascinated if i put some ice in the bowl

:laughing:Jim, do you own stock in super glue?
Sorry:offtopic:

dogcatharmony
May 13th, 2008, 10:05 AM
My cat Amos has done this for 10 years now, unfortunetly for me the hand towels didn't work, the bigger bath towel didn't work either. He knows if he sits his big butt on the towel you can still throw the bowl across the floor and as an added bonus kitty doesn't get wet. Once in awhile he does this to his food dish too, he has managed to shoot his dish down the stairs on several occasions.....I must say I do adore the look of accomplishment on his face after he does it

want4rain
May 13th, 2008, 11:40 AM
no no no... just let him do his thing. take it from me.... he will vent this SOMEHOW and scooting a bowl around is relatively harmless compared to some of the destructive things he CAN do. i submit several times a day for a bath. Hunter gives me a bath. if i dont let him give me a bath he chews his own fur off.

i wouldnt change a thing. its just a bowl and some water. :D

-ashley

chico2
May 13th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Onster,you have a couple of neurotic cats:laughing::laughing:
What on earth did you do to them:laughing:one chews cords,the other likes to throw the water-bowl around:laughing:
A friend of mines cat,always has a lot of fun with ice-cubes in his water-dish,maybe you should try that.
I am not guaranteing the floor will stay dry though:cat::cat:

onster
May 13th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Jim, do you own stock in super glue?
Sorry:offtopic:
:laughing::laughing:

My cat Amos has done this for 10 years now, unfortunetly for me the hand towels didn't work, the bigger bath towel didn't work either. He knows if he sits his big butt on the towel you can still throw the bowl across the floor and as an added bonus kitty doesn't get wet. Once in awhile he does this to his food dish too, he has managed to shoot his dish down the stairs on several occasions.....I must say I do adore the look of accomplishment on his face after he does it

Good to know it's not just my cat with this obsession! Guess I better learn to live with it :crazy:

no no no... just let him do his thing. take it from me.... he will vent this SOMEHOW and scooting a bowl around is relatively harmless compared to some of the destructive things he CAN do. i submit several times a day for a bath. Hunter gives me a bath. if i dont let him give me a bath he chews his own fur off.

i wouldnt change a thing. its just a bowl and some water.

-ashley

lol, u do have a point Ashley. God knows I already have the worst Nommer ever, I don't need any more destructive habits. We'll just have to be reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaly careful when walking in the kitchen.

Onster,you have a couple of neurotic cats:laughing:
What on earth did you do to them:laughing:one chews cords,the other likes to throw the water-bowl around:laughing:
A friend of mines cat,always has a lot of fun with ice-cubes in his water-dish,maybe you should try that.
I am not guaranteing the floor will stay dry though:cat:

I know it makes me want to :yell: and :laughing: at the same time, lol. I drive cats to insanity :sad:

lol, will definately try ice cubes..the floor's already wet, no helping that :crazy:

rainbow
May 13th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Okay, now we want pics and videos. :D

dogcatharmony
May 13th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Think of it as a kitty sport like I do...it's a plus if you have two kitties.....I call it kitty curling..Amos throws and Phoebe sweeps. I know in my house kitty curling starts at about 3am......not a overly popular sport YET...but I do see it is catching on!!:crazy:

14+kitties
May 13th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Mmmmm, glad to know mine aren't the only ones who like to play in water and scoot bowls across floors. One of mine likes to test the temperature of their water about 50 times a day. You can always tell it's her because there is a little trail of paw prints from the bowl to where she is. The dripping foot kinda gives it away too.
My daughter got her kitty a fountain. Eve used it for about a month and then decided she wanted to "fix" it. She took it apart. They came home from work to a fountain in about 4 or 5 pieces and one very very wet floor. :rolleyes:

Chris21711
May 14th, 2008, 08:48 AM
Okay, now we want pics and videos. :D

I second that Rainbow, up until now it's just hearsay :laughing:

Jim Hall
May 14th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Mmmmm, glad to know mine aren't the only ones who like to play in water and scoot bowls across floors. One of mine likes to test the temperature of their water about 50 times a day. You can always tell it's her because there is a little trail of paw prints from the bowl to where she is. The dripping foot kinda gives it away too.
My daughter got her kitty a fountain. Eve used it for about a month and then decided she wanted to "fix" it. She took it apart. They came home from work to a fountain in about 4 or 5 pieces and one very very wet floor. :rolleyes:

lol hey mom look what i did !! aint ya proud of me?

Love4himies
May 14th, 2008, 10:33 AM
I agree with all the posts that insist upon pictures/video :laughing: We need to be able to study what is happening so we can give educated opinions.:D

onster
May 14th, 2008, 11:40 PM

:eek::eek: wow!!! howd she manage that?!?! :eek::laughing:

:laughing::laughing: Ok guys, ill try to take video of it :cool: Unfortunately this may be a difficult mission as the "shuffler" tends to scatter when things are investigated. I can get pics of slightly less interesting kitty bobbing for toys :thumbs up

growler~GateKeeper
May 14th, 2008, 11:49 PM
bobbing for toys pics are interesting :D

so where are the pics? too soon you say? :p

chico2
May 15th, 2008, 06:09 AM
Yes,I agree,it's been a while:cat::cat: