Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Prednisone

chico2
May 12th, 2008, 03:43 PM
I finally drove my sons landlord to the vet with his little Siamese boy.
He has been coughing for about 2 yrs,a hacking kind of choking sound about 3 times/day.
The vet took bloodtests,listen to heart etc,suspects the kitty has either Asthma or allergies.
He put him on Prednison,without knowing test-results,that medicin always worries me,does that sound ok with you???
Since I kind of pushed him to go to a good vet,I feel a little reponsible..

sugarcatmom
May 12th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Well, prednisone has it's uses, suppressing allergy/asthma symptoms being one of them. Asthma can be tough to diagnose without running a whole whack of tests, so sometimes it's just easier to try pred first, see if it has an effect, and go from there. Thing is, long-term steroid use is not ideal, and doesn't address the cause of the problem, just the symptoms. My suggestion would be to work on eliminating potential allergens in the environment as well as diet. A grain-free meat-based wet food for starters. Then reevaluating stuff like cat litter (clay or silica based litters can be particularly bad), cleaning products and detergents, cigarette smoking, use of room-sprays, air freshners, or scented candles, etc.

In the meantime, if the prednisone does improve the cat's breathing/coughing, I'd suggest your son's landlord talk to the vet about using inhaled meds instead of pills or injections. This is possible with a spacer called an AeroKat (http://www.aerokat.com/) and significantly minimizes the nasty side-effects of corticosteroids. There's more info here: http://www.fritzthebrave.com/meds/inhaled.html And a good overview of asthma in general: http://www.fritzthebrave.com/

Also want to add, thank you Chico2, for being concerned and taking the time to help this poor kitty!

Love4himies
May 13th, 2008, 06:39 AM
I imagine the vet wanted to give the cat some immediate relieve. I agree with sugarcatmom. My daughter has her cats on clumping pine and really likes it.

You are an angel to help out this kitty.

chico2
May 13th, 2008, 07:00 AM
SCM,I forwarded your post to him,so he can read for himself,thank's!!
The little 9lb,6yrs old Siamese Junior,is one of 4 cats,used to be 5,but Asker died at 18yrs old.
He also has 2 more Siamese,one 20yrs old,the other about 15yrs old+a longhaired beauty at about 10,so he is doing something right:thumbs up
The owner does not have a car,so it's not a big deal that I help him out,
he's helped my son a lot and is generally a nice guy.
One thing though,he uses a lot of airfresheners,plug-ins and sprays,but he has a lot of air-cleaners,one in every room.
They do not smoke,but a man who rents the downstairs,smokes cigs and pot and you can smell it,especially the pot,all the way up to the third floor:yell:

sugarcatmom
May 13th, 2008, 07:14 AM
One thing though,he uses a lot of airfresheners,plug-ins and sprays,but he has a lot of air-cleaners,one in every room.

The plug-ins and stuff could definitely be an issue. Cats are extremely sensitive to airborne chemicals and even with an air-cleaner, these could very well be part of the problem. Even if they aren't an aspect of this one cat's allergies, they can actually be quite dangerous for all the cats. Here's a link explaining why: http://www.thelavendercat.com/3201/index.html

crazydays
May 14th, 2008, 07:12 AM
Hey Chico -

The symptoms of your cat sound identical to my orange tabby. Tory was diagnosed with asthma. He received a steroid injection and has been cough free for about 4 months-instantly helped him. If he starts coughing and hacking again we will take him back for another injection. The Vet figures 2-3shots/year would be necessary. He is 14 yrs. For years we thought he was trying to get a hairball up--WRONG..it was asthma. he has never been better.

chico2
May 14th, 2008, 07:39 AM
Thank's crazydays,Junior is not my cat,but a friend of mines.
It would be great if instead of pilling his problem could be fixed like yours.
But first he has to find out if Asthma is the problem.