Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Poor Little Mousse

badger
May 12th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Mousse is sick. Won't eat, vomits clear liquid. When I took him to the vet yesterday, he had a tiny fever (which could have been stress), his kidneys are small (shrinking?), but otherwise he didn't seem to be in crisis. The vet prescribed an antibiotic by mouth which has a little prednisone added, but it hasn't given him the smallest lift. He ate about a teaspoon (of canned vet food) this morning and then gave up. He is irritable and crouch-y and licks his lips often, as if he is nauseated. I just force-fed him a small amount and the stress of getting it into him may not be worth it.

Although he is not drinking now, he did seem to be drinking alot before that. The vet I saw yesterday (a different vet, since it was Sunday) is very cut-to-the-chase. When I called him today, he said over-consumption of water is probably indicative of either diabetes or kidney failure.

I just hate the thought of him in a cage alone at the vet, hooked up to IVs. Or to imagine what his life would be like later, should he recover. Poor Moussey, I feel as if I made a terrible mistake in rescuing him, maybe he was too old to adapt (and adapt again! if I ever found him a better home). He was doing OK until last week, eating pretty well, even had his frisky moments late at night.
:sad::sad::sad:

chico2
May 12th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Aww Badger,I am so sorry and yes,you did absolutely the right thing rescuing him.
At least he's not suffering in some alley,he has you now:lovestruck:
:pray:it's just some sort of bug and that the antibiotics will help,give it some time:pray:

Jim Hall
May 12th, 2008, 06:57 PM
he is a lucky for bot and chico is right antib;s take time

badger
May 12th, 2008, 07:21 PM
I just hoped the prednisone would improve his appetite because he can't take Cipro, it is contraindicated for urinary troubles. But he is now eating a bit on his own, hardly enough to keep a mouse alive but a small victory :). I ain't giving up!

Frenchy
May 12th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Aww Badger,I am so sorry and yes,you did absolutely the right thing rescuing him.

Chico2 is right ! And him being sick has nothing to do with you rescuing him.

So he has starting to eat again ? :highfive: baby steps :fingerscr

growler~GateKeeper
May 13th, 2008, 01:50 AM
Badger please don't feel bad :2huggers:

It is possible that he had kidney issues prior to being given up, he is 13 afterall, and the stress of losing his human may have brought it to the forefront (you know cats they hide illness so well) - not something you have done.

Elevate his food & water dishs up between 3-4 inches, this should help w/nausea

:goodvibes: :fingerscr for Mousse

Love4himies
May 13th, 2008, 06:52 AM
Poor Mousse. Badger, you did the right thing to rescue him, he would only be suffering if you didn't. This may be a bug that he picked up and will take some time to clear up.

:grouphug:.

chico2
May 13th, 2008, 07:42 AM
Badger,good to hear he's making an attempt to eat:pray:
I forgot who Mousse is and cannot find your pics,is he the pretty grey cat??
:goodvibes:to Mousse and you:goodvibes:

badger
May 13th, 2008, 07:50 AM
Still eating! He's not drinking obsessively and no vomiting since yesterday morning :fingerscr. The devil on one shoulder says it won't last, the angel on the other says wait and see.
Imagine ruling the roost and then coming to live with a mob of delinquents, that's pretty much what I've subjected him to.
Thanks everyone.

Here's the previous thread, Chico.
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=50812&highlight=Mousse

chico2
May 13th, 2008, 08:13 AM
Thank's Badger,I just re-read all Mousses posts and of course I remember his sad story now.
I see he is ok with the rest of your kitties,is he now part of your kitty-family?
Or are you still hoping for someone to adopt him?

badger
May 13th, 2008, 08:18 AM
Except for two or three, they're all up for adoption, Chico. Moussey-man would probably do better in a quieter environment. He's just not a joiner :laughing:.

Chris21711
May 13th, 2008, 10:16 AM
If it wasn't for you Badger, little Mousse would not even be here :angel: for caring.