Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How much/often should puppy eat?

Bluecatt
May 12th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Magic is 12 weeks old and she doesn't seem to have a very voracious appetite, in fact we're having trouble finding a kibble that she likes. She's been on Merrick Puppy Plate for the past 2 weeks and unless I add freeze-dried chicken to it, she won't eat it. I crumble it up really small but she still doesn't seem to eat a whole lot. (I think she's only eating the chicken!) I give her about 1/8 cup of the Merrick's (I'm eye-balling it) 2-3 times a day. I figured if she was really hungry, she'd gobble it up. Is this enough for her? Any other suggestions I could try? I wonder if any of the pet-food stores give samples? :shrug:

Since I couldn't get my profile pic to display, she's a mix of Chihuahua, shih tzu, malteze & bichon frize. She's about 5lbs.

BMDLuver
May 13th, 2008, 06:46 AM
Those little ones can be rather finicky in what they eat. When I have one that won't eat Merrick, I then try the Fromm's as it's even smaller kibble and the little ones sometimes prefer it. I almost always add tinned along with their food. I put 1/2 cup of kibble with a tbsp of tinned and a tbsp of water as the tinned I buy is more gravy style such as merricks chicken pot pie or Fromms has what they call a gravy, it's got pasta in it with sauce. Normally tempts the fussy ones. Hope that helps!

jealma
May 13th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Don't forget she is very little. She likly doesn't require as much to eat as you would like her to be eatting. I know I worried over this with abby to and she seems to be doing fine even though I still think she should eat more. It seems to me you are feeding her enough. Abby is a bit bigger and a little older and she is only eatting around a cup a day. Next vet visit I'm sure they will weigh her and you can ask the vet. Don't forget that that age they spend a lot of time sleeping so don't take that to mean they are under feed. Can't wait to see some pictures

Bluecatt
May 13th, 2008, 04:44 PM
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll85/c4catt/Magicclose.jpg
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll85/c4catt/sleeping.jpg
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll85/c4catt/Magicclose2.jpg

Bluecatt
May 13th, 2008, 07:17 PM
is it because I'm so new here?:frustrated:

Tommysmom
May 13th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Yes, it takes a few more posts I think before you can put up pictures. Or, you can message/email Marko and he'll help you out, so we can see your cutie even faster:D.

Ford
May 14th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Post approved...everyone should be able to seem them now (by the way, Welcome!)

Your friendly neighbourhood mod,
Ford

Bluecatt
May 14th, 2008, 11:26 AM
I'll try the pics again:

becmonchu
June 3rd, 2008, 11:53 AM
If you live downtown Toronto, a few places will give you samples of food to try. You just have to ask.

UrbanDog (Front and Parliament) gave me a sample of the Oven-Baked Kibble for puppies.

PetCuisine(Front and Princess) gave me a sample of the Orijens Kibble

TimmieDogOutfitters(QueenWest) gave me a sample of the Innova.

So far, I managed to successfully switch my little guy over to Orijens and innova but he seems to like Innova more.

PS. Magic is soooo cute!!!!

Bluecatt
June 3rd, 2008, 04:39 PM
If you live downtown Toronto, a few places will give you samples of food to try. You just have to ask.

UrbanDog (Front and Parliament) gave me a sample of the Oven-Baked Kibble for puppies.

PetCuisine(Front and Princess) gave me a sample of the Orijens Kibble

TimmieDogOutfitters(QueenWest) gave me a sample of the Innova.

So far, I managed to successfully switch my little guy over to Orijens and innova but he seems to like Innova more.

PS. Magic is soooo cute!!!!

Thanks Becmonchu, but unfortunately I live in Scarborough. We're now on to our 3rd kind of kibble and she's still not crazy about it. We're now trying Natural Balance Sweet Potato & Fish Formula. She is so finicky, I don't know what's wrong. We've tried all this healthy stuff and all she wants to do is eat our cat's kibble! I've even tried breaking up hers into smaller pieces thinking it was the size. Didn't really seem to make a difference. I want to see her excited about her food! I think I'm going to try some canned Natural Balance and mix it in with the dry. Don't want to have to do that but what else can I do? :wall:

mastifflover
June 3rd, 2008, 05:13 PM
I may have a food for you to try Wellness Core it is grain free so you feed less. I tried Clark on Solid Gold would not eat it, Merrick okay but not thrilled with it, then I decided to buy the Wellness no samples unfortunately he wolfed it down and was waiting for more. Success finally. Good luck with your very cute pup

Dingo
June 4th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Hmm. Finickiness. Personally, I'm of the "if they get hungry enough they'll stop being finicky" school. Just feed at regular times, leaving the food down for 15 minutes maximum, and then taking it away. They catch on pretty quick.