Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Is it a new fettish?

jealma
May 12th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Abby is teething so I have been giving her a pigs ear to chew to save everything else in the house. But she has been doing this strange rubbing thing. She'll get the pigs ear up on the couch with her and than she rubbs her nose like crazy on the couch. Not on the ear but a bit infront of it. I take the ear away and put it on the floor and she stops. She did this in the bed too. Rubbed and rubbed her face into the bed, not touching the pigs ear and when I removed the pigs ear ,, she stopped right away. This seems so odd and I don't know why she is doing it? Is this a fettish, a habit, an allergy. It's just so weird.

gypsy_girl
May 12th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Is it possible she is trying to "bury" it. It is not uncommon for dogs to try to bury food, toys etc. , and it sounds like she could be trying to push the blanket onto the ear to bury it.:shrug:

DoubleRR
May 12th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Sounds like burying behavior to me, too. Dogs instinctively make the motions as if there was loose dirt or leaves available to push over the object they want to save for later.

Tommysmom
May 12th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Tommy started doing that last year too, we thought he was losing his mind:laughing:. With Tommy it really is a burying action, he gradually worked up to actually burying his stuff this way under blankets and other soft things. He only tends to do it with high-value things, like treats that he is too full to eat but wants to save, cow hooves that he doesn't get too often, stuff like that.

jealma
May 12th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Wow guys. Thanks so much. That never even crossed my mind. Guess I thought it would be more a paw scratching thing if is was to bury things. But now that mention it, because she stops as soon as I take it away it makes sense to me. My husband still thinks she is just nuts though. hehehehe