Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

DMX Arrested on Animal Cruelty Charges, Drugs

jessi76
May 12th, 2008, 11:24 AM
This just infuriates me.

http://www.efluxmedia.com/news_DMX_Arrested_on_Animal_Cruelty_Charges_Drugs_ 17458.html

By Jane Ivory
13:08, May 12th 2008

Rapper DMX, real name Earl Simmons, has been arrested on suspicion of animal cruelty and drug possession, following a raid at his Arizona home, police said.

DMX first raised suspicion of animal cruelty in August last year, when authorities performed a raid of his home in Phoenix, Arizona following complaints from neighbors that he abused dogs on his property and found reason to arrest him. A dozen apparently neglected dogs were found, with no food or water supply nearby.

Seven months into the investigation regarding possible animal abuse, a SWAT team raided his home in Phoenix at 3 a.m. Friday, May 9, the Associated Press reported. DMX was subsequently arrested on drug and animal-cruelty charges. Five pit bull puppies, several weapons and unspecified illegal drugs were seized by police.

The Maricopa County Sheriff's Office said DMX, 37, had attempted to barricade himself in his bedroom when officers arrived at his home. He eventually surrendered without further resistance.

The rapper was taken to a nearby jail in Maricopa County and released on $7,500 bail.

Authorities have expressed little understanding for the situation with the animals, as exemplified by Sheriff Joe Arpaio, who can find the rapper no excuse.

“With all his money and fame, [DMX] has no excuse for not providing proper care for his animals,” said Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio. “He has a long criminal history and obviously has no respect for the law.”

DMX was charged with seven misdemeanor counts of animal cruelty and four counts of felony drug possession, Arpaio told E! Online. He's due in court May 15.

Earlier last week, on Tuesday, DMX was arrested for driving as fast as 114 miles an hour on a freeway.

DMX’s New York-based lawyer Murray Richman has in turn expressed doubt that the animal abuse charges could be sustained. “I think that the animal cruelty is not going to be able to be established and I think that this is Sheriff Joe’s moment,” he said, arguing that his client’s traffic violation bothered the official.

Back in August, 12 pit bull mixes were taken from the premises of DMX’s home and taken to a veterinary ER to be treated for dehydration and malnutrition. Three dog carcasses were found by detectives, partially buried, further complicating the rapper’s situation.

Weapons and drugs (half a pound of cannabis) were also found inside the house at the time. DMX claimed he had been away for the past two months and that the caretaker had not done his duty.

© 2007 - 2008 - eFluxMedia

Frenchy
May 12th, 2008, 11:31 AM
But they're not saying in which condition the puppies were this time :confused:

Jim Hall
May 12th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Iyt said he was charged with 7 counts so something must have been in evidence

DMX’s New York-based lawyer Murray Richman has in turn expressed doubt that the animal abuse charges could be sustained. “I think that the animal cruelty is not going to be able to be established and I think that this is Sheriff Joe’s moment,” he said, arguing that his client’s traffic violation bothered the official.

NY Lawyers lol

Back in August, 12 pit bull mixes were taken from the premises of DMX’s home and taken to a veterinary ER to be treated for dehydration and malnutrition. Three dog carcasses were found by detectives, partially buried, further complicating the rapper’s situation.

Weapons and drugs (half a pound of cannabis) were also found inside the house at the time. DMX claimed he had been away for the past two months and that the caretaker had not done his duty.

Almost makes me ashamed to be a pot head
oh well thats ok then it was the caretakers fault :clown::loser:

Love4himies
May 12th, 2008, 01:14 PM

Almost makes me ashamed to be a pot head
oh well thats ok then it was the caretakers fault :clown::loser:

Wasn't that M Vicks excuse too??

ancientgirl
May 12th, 2008, 01:37 PM
Gah! :wall: Do they think the pit bulls were being used for fighting? OMG when will this end! When will people stop fighting pit bulls!!!! Even if he wasn't fighting them, why did he have them? It makes me wonder why he'd have so many and especially put bulls. Dear lord how I wish these dogs would rebel on these morons and take a chunk of their collective butt's!

I can't believe he got out on only $7,500 bail. And I'm sick and tired of reading about these "famous" people who can't take care of their animals. Hey, here's a novel thought, don't get them!

I expect he'll just try to get out of it by saying also he hired someone to take care of them and they weren't doing their job!

Ugh! I hope they throw the book at him. What also sadden's me is this guy is a person some kids look up to. Great, what a role model.:frustrated:

NoahGrey
May 13th, 2008, 07:26 AM
famous or not....everyone should take care of their animals.

ACO22

mastifflover
May 14th, 2008, 11:44 AM
What is with these idiots. It is not like he could not afford to have someone take care of them if his lazy a$$ could not do it. I realize that he is probably above taking care of any type of responsibility. I hope they make examples of these rich fools.