Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Niko is sick... :[

bia
May 11th, 2008, 11:03 PM
Hey everyone! Ok, here's the situation... My fiance and I found a beagle/dachshund mix puppy (he's about 3 months old maybe) about 2 weeks ago. He ran up to my fiance and wouldn't let him walk away. We took him in and gave him a home. He's hyper, and excited, and one of the most adorable animals I have ever laid eyes on. About 3-4 nights ago, my fiance gave the dogs 2 tablespoons of gravy on their food (sausage gravy...). My other dog Lufisto (LuLu) ate it too fast and she threw up a few hours later. Niko had eaten some of the vomit before I could get a rag and clean it up. They were all fine... especially last night. Niko was running around and being hyper and excited. We woke up this morning, and usually when I open the door he is the first one out. Well, he wasn't this time. I looked over on the bed and he was still sleeping. I kept trying to get him to get up and run around but he just seems so tired and lazy.

My first panic was Parvo. That's the first sickness that runs through my head. He hasn't been vomiting or having diarrhea. I called the animal hospital this evening and the lady said that since he hasn't been vomiting or having diarrhea then she's pretty sure that it ISN'T Parvo.

She also said that we could wait a little bit to have the actual Parvo test done.

I'm not used to having my animals sick so I don't really know how to handle the situation. I've been crying all day because I'm afraid that he'll die. They all got out of the gate earlier today and he was running around... and it's usually off and on with him having no energy. Sometimes he still gets up and walks around and goes outside, then when he's done he'll lay down. He wont play, and he wont eat. Is there anything I can try to do to make him eat something? What should I feed him? Any advice?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

*UPDATE!!!*

Ok, it is now around 8:05 am. I stayed up all night with Niko. His condition basically stayed the same all night. At about 6 this morning I got up to let all of the dogs out, he went directly into the living room and vomited on the carpet. It was the foulest smelling vomit I have ever experienced. It smelled like bad breath... the worst case of bad breath. He also had a TINY bit of diarrhea. 15 minutes later he vomited AGAIN. I took a flashlight because I wanted to have a look at his gums... and I shined it onto the vomit to see if I could see anything gross. He has roundworms in his vomit. I called the animal hospital again and she said to go get him some worm medicine. Any more advice would be greatly appreciated.

hazelrunpack
May 11th, 2008, 11:06 PM
Has he been drinking water? Is he peeing and pooping normally?

bia
May 11th, 2008, 11:56 PM
Has he been drinking water? Is he peeing and pooping normally?

I'm not 100% certain on this... but, I think he was a little dehydrated earlier today, so I picked up him, carried him to the kitchen and and he did drink water. He's been drinking water off and on since... not less or more than usual. He peed a LOT earlier... and yes he's pooping normally. There is also NO blood in his poop. But, his breath stinks REALLY bad. I just can't tell if it's more than usual.