Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

An unusual reason for hair loss

gaerwen
May 11th, 2008, 10:08 PM
I just thought I would post this ...my vet made a note of this because its a strange situaltion, but it could happen to anyone...

My Boston terrier started losing her hair. She was 2 at the time, and had been with us for about 4months. She was very fat (She was very very thin when we got her&she seems to truely believe she is starving at all times) :) .... Anyway, we took her to the vet and had blood work etc done, looking for thyroide issues... Since she was adopted and came to us on a 14 hr flight, our vet wanted to be very thorough. A few (several) hundred dollars later, I asked a question..could my Boston have a hormone imbalance from eating my Labs poo. My Lab was on Stylbestrol...
THAT was the issue! Myself and the Vet laughed, relieved, and she said she had to document that and let her colleuges know!
The lab is off stilbestrol and the Boston is slowing down on poo intake (we are diligent in picking it up and reminding her that the food is in the house)
Her hair grew back fairly quickly.

Just thought Id put that out there! You never know who else might have a balding dog, from eating the wrong snacks!:laughing: