Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kitten rescue success story!

sandyrivers
May 11th, 2008, 08:17 PM
My neighbor in the back has a cat who has a litter of kittens every summer. She consistently had 3 grey kittens every year, for the past 3 years i have lived here. About 2 weeks ago, i noticed 2 new bundles of love exploring about on the 3rd floor balcony, the mama cat had them, and is raising them under my neighbor's bbq unit, covered by a tarp. Amazingly, this year, she only had 2 kittens.

Being the cat lover that i am, i sit on my back porch and observe the kittens daily!

Last Friday/Saturday night, around 5 am, i heard loud, distressful meows comming from the alley. I looked out my window to see one of the kittens had fallen off the balcony, and was being harassed by 2 adult male cats. The poor kitten, about 3 weeks old was meowing so loudly, calling on his mama. I took the initiative to run down the stairs, to the alley and help him out. The mama was nowhere around to answer his calls, and i am quite certain he would have been in a sketchy situation if i did nothing...

Unfortunately, as i got downstairs to where the cats were, they got away, including the helpless kitten, who ran to hide under the crawlspace under the balcony... I spent at least half an hour calling and inciting him to come out from under there to no avail...
I reluctantly went to sleep, and kept an eye on the alley all Saturday, without any sign of the kitten...
Today, Sunday, around 3 pm, my boyfriend spotted the kitten's head peeking out of the crawlspace!
I ran downstairs, along with my son, with a bowl of cat food and sprinkled bits at the entrance of the crawlspace.
It wasn't long we had the neighborhood kids around us, and we were all trying to grab the poor thing from under the stairs.
We finally got hold of him, wrapped him in a blanket and ran to the 3rd floor to bring it back to his mama.

For the rest of the day, i was happily watching him follow his mama all over the balcony, wanting to nurse and get cleaned up.
We were very pleased to be part of this happy ending adventure.

What I wonder now is the following, and would like any input from anyone about it.

Why didn't the mother cat go fetch her kitten from the crawlspace... How is it that she "didn't know" he was there... How is it, health wise for a 3 week old kitten to be left in the cold without food, mother and water for 36 hours...Anyone ever experienced such a situation...

Thanks to all who will reply, and i will keep you all updated on the kittens!

Sandy

badger
May 12th, 2008, 01:10 AM
I really don't know why the mother cat wasn't more responsive. Maybe she's just fed up with churning out kittens :rolleyes:. I'm glad you were there to help.

Where was the neighbour in all this? You would be doing the world - and the cat - a huge favour if you encouraged her to get the mother spayed. There's an intact male in my neighbourhood right now who spends virtually all his life outside. He is covered in small wounds from facing down other males and has probably impregnated a few females along the way. His 'owners' claim to love him but can't seem to get the money together to get him fixed. They pay rent on an apartment and have a healthy beer habit.
Give me a break.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. You have a good heart. Keep watching over this little family, they'll probably need you again.

Love4himies
May 12th, 2008, 06:14 AM
Aww thank you for helping this poor kitten. I am surprised that momma didn't repsond immediately to her poor kitten :confused:.

sandyrivers
May 14th, 2008, 10:08 PM
It seems that the owner of the female who pops kittens every year is "not mentally all here" , hence making communication difficult. I do know of an organisation in my sector that offers discounted/free spaying and neutering as a community service. I think i will pick up info and pamphlets and drop them in his mailbox...
As for the kittens, they both seem very happy and healty with their mama.

Sandy

14+kitties
May 14th, 2008, 10:17 PM
It seems that the owner of the female who pops kittens every year is "not mentally all here" , hence making communication difficult. I do know of an organisation in my sector that offers discounted/free spaying and neutering as a community service. I think i will pick up info and pamphlets and drop them in his mailbox...
As for the kittens, they both seem very happy and healty with their mama.

Sandy

If he is "not mentally all here" then maybe it would be pretty easy for you to talk to him and offer to take his cat in to get fixed. Maybe he doesn't know any better. I know you said communication is difficult. What about someone from the organization? Could they come talk to him if you explained the situation to them? Of course it will have to wait now until the babies are weaned and mom's milk has dried up. It's worth a shot.

sandyrivers
May 14th, 2008, 10:48 PM
Thanks for the idea! I will be calling the organisation next week, and explain the situation, perhaps they will know better than I how to deal with it. My neighbor seems to be "intellectually deficiant" as well as having "elocution problems"... Not easy!
I will keep you updated on the situation.

Sandy

Love4himies
May 15th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Good luck. :fingerscr

sandyrivers
May 18th, 2008, 07:59 PM
I am happy to say that one bundle of love may be adopted by my Mum... She still needs a few days to make sure, reconsider the whole thing..., but it's looking good!!!
Sandy