Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog ate insides of his chew toy, pvc pellets

spazzygirl
May 11th, 2008, 01:57 PM
My poor little chihuahua broke open her little stuffed doggie while we were playing tug-a-war. It says on the label that it has pvc pellets. She has a 100.6 temp and is vomiting and has a loose, mucousy stool.

Are these little pvc pellets toxic?

hazelrunpack
May 11th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Did she eat many of the pellets? I don't know if PVC is toxic or not--certain types of PVC are used for indoor plumbing because they are fairly nonreactive and nontoxic, but I don't know what kind of break down products there might be if ingested. And if she ate enough there's always the possibility of a blockage.

100.6 is not an abnormal temp, but vomiting and diarrhea can be a deadly combination, especially in a small dog.

Does your vet have an afterhours contact number or is there an emergency vet you could call to find out about toxicity? I think your dog needs to see a vet ASAP.

Good luck and please keep us posted!

rainbow
May 11th, 2008, 06:52 PM
PVC (polyvinyl chloride) is often called The Poison Plastic. I would get her to your vet asap. Good luck and keep us posted. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Doha
May 12th, 2008, 04:23 AM
Sometimes, my dog :dog: swallowed and chewed PVC too. However, it would vomit out the PVC or passed out loose stool containing the indigest PVC, then it will all be fine. However, if abnormal behavior of your dog persists, I advice you to meet your vet.

Get well soon to your chihuahua and I'm sure everything will be fine. Good luck!

SnowDancer
May 13th, 2008, 12:59 PM
I would take your pup to the vet asap - as hazel pointed out, vomiting and diarrhea together is very dangerous and must be looked after - even more so in such a tiny dog. Three years ago my dog contracted a virus that was going around Toronto. I took him in immediately - the combo of vomiting and diarrhea was the determining factor in him being admitted for 3 days. Diarrhea only he would have been sent home with me. When it comes to things ingested that are/could be poisonous I would absolutely not risk it.

Sylvie
May 13th, 2008, 05:20 PM
I agree with Snow Dancer visit the vet

If you cannot go to the vet, can you call and get advice? We have an emergency clinic and they have helped me many times with my guys.

Let us know how you make out:fingerscr

rainbow
May 14th, 2008, 03:31 AM
spazzygirl, how is your doggy doing? :fingerscr :goodvibes: