Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog Owner Snobbery

poodletalk
May 11th, 2008, 11:20 AM
I live in an area where most of the dogs are purebreeds, I have encountered dog snobbery before when I took Maggie to the local dogpark. One guy told me, he didn't want Maggie playing with his purebreed golden retriever show dog because she was going to get him dirty?! Why take the dog to the dogpark??

I've stopped taking Maggie my husky mix to the local park and have been taking her to another park 15 minutes away by driving. Everything is working out well at that park.

This morning, I was taking Maggie for her morning walk along the waterfront, when I saw my neighbours new standard poodle running around without his owners.

The poodle and Maggie sniffed each other, played a tiny bit, I went to pick up his leash to find his owners, I couldn't get the leash on time the dog took off, I followed the dog until he found his owners who were VERY far away.

Couple of hours later, I was cleaning my car, Maggie is outside with me, the standard poodle is outside with his owner who's cleaning his car as well. I asked the man what's his dogs name? He told Buddy and asked what breed is your dog? I told him a husky mix. The man in-return says YOUR DOG IS VERY AGGRESSIVE!!! :confused: How is my dog being aggressive? She's just lying down minding her own business? The dogs never met until this morning. I told him, that our dogs played together and my dog isn't aggressive. The man said "Oh, I don't think so...my dog wouldn't play with yours!!!" I said, yes they did at the park this morning.

Why wouldn't they play together? IDIOT!

duttypaws
May 11th, 2008, 11:24 AM
:wall::wall: how annoying yet hilarious at the same time... how small brained can some people be?

pitgrrl
May 11th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Well clearly in the future you need to get a mutt that looks like a rare breed. People constantly ask me if Basil and Streets are Cane Corsos and then get all upset when I laugh and tell them they're mixed breed dogs off the street :laughing:

Or you could take the approach a friend of mine adopted when at the dog park full of purebred snobbery. Her husky/beagle/shepherd/whatever else dog became an Italian Husky, or a Nordic Sheagle......and yes, most people believed her because, quite frankly, most people are idiots.

poodletalk
May 11th, 2008, 12:17 PM
You're right pitgrrl, hubby told me we should tell people Maggie is a boarder collie maybe people wouldn't have such a bad reaction towards her.

As you can see, she's defiantly no purebred, but she's still a beauty!

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w297/smoochyourpoochs/maggie-1.jpg

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w297/smoochyourpoochs/maggie2-1.jpg

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w297/smoochyourpoochs/maggieandleaves.jpg

ancientgirl
May 11th, 2008, 01:34 PM
I've realized that people like that, pretty much believe whatever you tell them if you say it convincingly enough.

Their snobbery is stupid. That's like one step away from being a racist.

jealma
May 11th, 2008, 01:57 PM
That is unreal. I had never even thought of such a thing. Abby is a purebreed and what differance does it make? None. As far as what dogs she plays with, who cares as long as they are mannered. Do people not realize that dogs are dogs and dont care if the sweater they are wearing is designer or not. So sad that peoples small minds even dwindle down to their dogs friends,,lol, in someways that is just so funny. Glad they are my parents.

P.S. Almost forgot, you have a great looking dog and if you were closer maybe Abby and her could be friends. :-)

chico2
May 11th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Poodletalk,Maggie is beautiful,she can come and play with my cats anytime:laughing:
I would not be too concerned with ignorant louts and there are lots of them around:yell:
The only thing that would bother me,is this jerk saying Maggie is aggressive when she's not.
A dog will play with any kind of dog,mixed breed or"pure",I wish people would be the same way:cat::dog:
Give Maggie a hug from me,after this jerk insulted her,she is beautiful:lovestruck:

hazelrunpack
May 11th, 2008, 04:45 PM
I agree with chico--the most disturbing thing is the fact that somehow he's decided Maggie is aggressive! That is beyond stupidity! :frustrated:

The rest of it is just foolishness and I'm sorry you have to deal with it. :grouphug: Luckily, status-conscious people do not raise status-conscious dogs. Dogs recognize dogs, period, and don't care about lineage. :dog: And, I might add, there are a fair number of humans who feel the same, too. So don't lose hope, there are better people out there. :thumbs up

Maggie is a beauty, whether fools think so or not.

duttypaws
May 11th, 2008, 05:01 PM
could be like us... my Hugo is a pedigree and looks like a mongrel!

aslan
May 11th, 2008, 05:19 PM
aaaah don't worry about it poodletalk, what goes around comes around. One of our neighbours has a really overweight, disobedient jr. His owner was forever telling him to get away from our bailley, he's not a purebred. When we got our quincy, papers, pedigree and all i just bided my time. First time his little butterball came near mine i told him to get his poor example of a jr away from my purebred golden. teehee. The boys are all allowed to play together now.

Jim Hall
May 11th, 2008, 05:45 PM
what a gorgeous dog!!! i think im in love!!!
I can' t believe thier are purbreed snobs thats so lame

Your next dog should be he ugliest poor thing in the pound
yeah i agree make up a breed

Albanian shepard
short legged huskie
Alpine sled dog

Spatx
May 11th, 2008, 05:57 PM
Some people can be so ridiculous. One time I had Cody at the park and this woman asks, "What type of dog is he?"

So I go on to tell her he's an Australian Shepherd I got from the OSPCA. Her response is, "He must be a mix, he can't be a purebred. Does he have papers?"

"Umm.. No, he's a rescue."

"So he isn't a purebred."

I couldn't deal with the stupidity, so I just said "maybe," and left. She had a German Shepherd and a Sheltie I believe, but I honestly was astonished that she thought there was no way I could have gotten such a "handsome and smart" (her words beforehand) dog from the pound :wall:

Jim Hall
May 11th, 2008, 07:05 PM
reminds me of sheba a pound dog mostly shepard but very small we called her a ghetto shepard :D

want4rain
May 11th, 2008, 09:05 PM
I GOTS ME SOME SNOBBERY FOR YA!!!

MY dog just happens to be the coolest mutt out there. he is soooo cool of a mutt that he even LOOKS pure bred(mostly... sorta kinda... vaguely... in a small way...)!!!

see?!?!
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k98/waqnt4rain/May2008/MisterEatingBubbles.jpg

pfft... they probably feed Purina cause TV told them to.

-ash

angeldogs
May 11th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Your girl is a beauty maybe you should have thrown a bucket of water at him for saying what he said.i hate people like that.

catsnatcher-CDN
May 12th, 2008, 05:24 AM
I know where you live, there's NOTHING you can do so this is what you say next time:

Snob: What breed is your dog?
You: Actually, my dog was custom made for us. We had his DNA customized to match our interior designer's sketches for the new living room furniture.
Snob: Where did you have that done?
You: They don't it for just anyone and anyway, it cost us $346,000. I recommend you stick with your purebreed. They're not as high maintenance as customized pets.

:dog:

Love4himies
May 12th, 2008, 05:50 AM
Ha ha, catsnatcher, that is a good one:laughing:! Can you imagine the way they are raising their children if they think purebred dogs are above mutts?

Your dog is beautiful, poodletalk:cloud9:.

poodletalk
May 12th, 2008, 06:46 AM
Thanks everyone for your comments! Jim Hall, your "short legged huskie" was really funny! Catsnatcher, you know my area very well...you should come visit me sometimes and I will introduce you to Mr.Snob as my interior decorator! want4rain your pup is really cute!

Next time I see Mr.Snobby neighbour and he says something about Maggie being aggressive, I'm going to tell him atleast she's obident unlike your dog! (His dog took off in the park, that's how Maggie and him played while I trying to get his leash to find his owner!)

Yesterday on my coming home, I cut through the neighbourhood where I take Maggie to play at their park. I saw a lady walking with her dog, I recognoized her from the park so I waved to her. She ran over to my car to ask why wasn't I at the park on Friday night with Maggie? That we need to have regular meet-ups since both of our dogs get along so well. It made me feel good after the morning I had with my snooby neighbour.

chico2
May 12th, 2008, 06:53 AM
W4R...:laughing::laughing:
Catsnatcher..:laughing::laughing: thank's for the laughs!
When I walk Bailey,because of her non-Cocker haircut,people always ask what breed she is:confused:
I never really ask what breed a dog is,I just see a dog and pet him/her if the owner lets me.

linnamie
May 12th, 2008, 01:51 PM
wow your dog is GORGEOUS!

I can't believe that there are such snob people out there! it's childish what these people say to you and your dog. So not cool.

Ford Girl
May 12th, 2008, 03:49 PM
One guy told me, he didn't want Maggie playing with his purebreed golden retriever show dog because she was going to get him dirty?! Why take the dog to the dogpark??

I asked the man what's his dogs name? He told Buddy and asked what breed is your dog? I told him a husky mix. The man in-return says YOUR DOG IS VERY AGGRESSIVE!!! :confused: How is my dog being aggressive? She's just lying down minding her own business? The dogs never met until this morning. I told him, that our dogs played together and my dog isn't aggressive. The man said "Oh, I don't think so...my dog wouldn't play with yours!!!" I said, yes they did at the park this morning.

Why wouldn't they play together? IDIOT!

Thats so dumb. :shrug: The first thing that came to mind was I'm glad the golden show dog got to go to the park in the first place. Alot of them are even more "protected" as in not socialize outside of the breeders property....dogs need to be dogs no matter what breed, blood line, or heritage.

Some people live in dream worlds. :rolleyes: One guy in our off leash area is so serious, his dog cant stop to play with other dogs, even tho its off leash, and heaven forbid Dazy chases the tennis ball he just threw.(what do you think will happen?)..he flipped out once cuz Dazy got the ball and his BC was wrestling with her, I offered him a brand new ball from my pocket - drool free, he wouldnt take it, he said he wanted his old ball back. :laughing:

I've tried to start conversations with this person, he wont even crack a smile or laugh at the silly dogs, our dogs get along, why not stop and play. :shrug:

Ford Girl
May 12th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Oh ya, and maggie is a doll. :angel: :D

Jim Hall
May 12th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Snob: What breed is your dog?
You: Actually, my dog was custom made for us. We had his DNA customized to match our interior designer's sketches for the new living room furniture.
Snob: Where did you have that done?
You: They don't it for just anyone and anyway, it cost us $346,000. I recommend you stick with your purebreed. They're not as high maintenance as customized pets.
:laughing::laughing::dog:

Frenchy
May 12th, 2008, 07:58 PM
I know where you live,

I do too ! :D I was born and raised in Verdun , the other side of the tracks :laughing:

Maggie is more than welcome here in Sherrington ! :lovestruck:

coppperbelle
May 13th, 2008, 05:50 AM
I tried a dog park a couple of times and have never gone back. The first time wasn't so bad although I am sure the guy with the border collie wasn't too happy that Chloe outran his dog and always managed to come back with his tennis ball. She of course has lock jaw when she gets a ball so it interupted the game while I tried to get it out of her mouth.
The second time I went the park was full of purebreds who had idiots for owners. The dogs were aggressive with Hunter who was very young at the time and totallly unaggressive. None of the owners did anything, just stood around socializing.

Both my dogs look like goldens although I don't have any "papers" to prove it as they are rescues with unknown backgrounds. Next time your idiot neighbor says something to you, ask him where he got his dog. Chances are he bought it in a pet shop, from a backyard breeder or a puppy mill. Then you can educate him about them.

Chris21711
May 13th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Both of our Bassetts are purebred but are rescues, Duh silly me I should have asked for their papers. You can't educate stupidity, I wouldn't even sweat about it.

MyBirdIsEvil
May 16th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Meh. When dealing with snobbery to that extent just belittle them right back. They're obviously not intelligent enough to respond to such a thing and probably won't realize you're ridiculing them anyway.

I expect ridiculous or ignorant behavior from humans at this point, but I've never dealt with those kind of comments. That's WEIRD, it's just a dog.

I have heard some other weird ones though. Like one day we were giving a bunch of our stuff to this guy that collects junk to sell, and he asked what breed our dog was. I said "German and austrlian shepherd, and chow". He goes "Chow? She's really aggressive and antisocial then!", I was like "Wha? No...she's not, she's very friendly." Actually I wanted to say "Are you a ****in moron? Get out of my house!" but I wanted him to get all this junk out of my garage without me having to move it myself so I didn't :laughing:.
What's really dumb is she'd just been playing with his kids and wife and was being extremely lovable and well mannered, what the heck led him to the conclusion that she's antisocial and aggressive because she has chow in her? I'd like some of what he was smoking. :rolleyes:

Amanda00
May 16th, 2008, 11:39 AM
I was just talking about this kind of thing going on at our dog park! Juno is a German Shepard Pyrenees cross, but looks like a shepard. So when people ask what breeder I got her from and I say she's a rescue dog and tell her her breeds, the're like "oh" and then walk away. Also, at our dog park I love how the small dog owners stay in one area and the big dog owners stay in another area. Juno wanders from circle to circle and the small dog people look at her like "You're not a small dog, get out of here!"
Weirdos............
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=19691144&uid=11091285&members=1

super_pooch
May 19th, 2008, 09:16 PM
I was just talking about this kind of thing going on at our dog park! Juno is a German Shepard Pyrenees cross, but looks like a shepard. So when people ask what breeder I got her from and I say she's a rescue dog and tell her her breeds, the're like "oh" and then walk away. Also, at our dog park I love how the small dog owners stay in one area and the big dog owners stay in another area. Juno wanders from circle to circle and the small dog people look at her like "You're not a small dog, get out of here!"
Weirdos............
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=19691144&uid=11091285&members=1

Your dog is so cute!:lovestruck:

Sylvie
May 20th, 2008, 03:33 PM
I just don't get people:yuck:

I have met them, where you can't let your dog near their dog. All I can say is that I feel sorry for the dog. The people are just:loser:s

I think all your pictures are great. Keep them coming:pawprint:

twodogos
May 21st, 2008, 01:49 PM
I have 2 purebreds but im not a snob!!!!! I take my dogs to the dog park and they are allowed to get dirty - and trust me they do since they run thru a muddy creek every chance they get- and they are pure white so its very noticeable. They play with every dog that comes in no matter what the size, breed etc. I didnt get purebreds because i wanted to say i have purebreds - i got them because we really liked this particular breed and were very impressed with the breeder we got them from. My previous 2 dogs (from when i was a child) were mixes that somehow just found us and i loved them just as much as the 2 i have now.
I do believe some people are snobs about it but hopefully you all dont think we all are!!

mastifflover
May 21st, 2008, 02:05 PM
Maggie is beautiful. Ignore the ignorant snobs. Clark is purebred and his new best friend is a Mastiff mix, maybe I should not allow him to play with her because they always get filthy(major sarcasm). Am I a bad owner letting my dog play with mix breeds, how stupid can the owners of these dogs be. Who really cares if they are pure or mixed. I have usually gotten purebreds but not because I am a snob but because I love Mastiffs okay so Clark snuck in because he was just so darn cute. I have owned mutts and love them just the same. So that is my :2cents:

Shadow's mom
May 21st, 2008, 02:27 PM
Well I have seen this too. But I'm OK with it because my beautiful mongrel loves us no matter what and we love her too. I feel sorry for the snobby ones because you can bet they say the same things about their kids, house, car, job etc. Too bad they may never realize how good they have it until it's gone. :shrug: I encourage you to just smile serenely and walk away. It will drive them nuts...ha ha

Shadow's mom
May 21st, 2008, 02:29 PM
Your Maggie is a beauty, she is a colourized version of my Shadow. Love it.

super_pooch
May 21st, 2008, 03:13 PM
My dog isn't purebred so I bet they'd be having a field day with her especially if I told them that we couldn't even come to a conclusion what her mother was:D Her dad was full basset hound so she got her dad's size but her mom was some kind of mix. The family told us she was a chow but she looked NOTHING like a chow. She looked like a small shaggy dog or a large terrier. She does have her mom's personality (very confident we shall say:rolleyes:). We love her anyways!

Purebreds or mutts, what's the difference? They both love you the same.

Here's my little mutt

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/5205/ositabn0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
We chose her out of the litter because first off we knew we wanted a girl. Second, she was the happy one yapping her little yap and nibbling at my zipper. Her sister was the llorona, spanish for cry baby. We also LOVED her white paws.

And I love her to bits :lovestruck:

chico2
May 21st, 2008, 04:02 PM
OMG,what a cute little girl:lovestruck:

twodogos,I would love to see a picture of your dogs,they must be beautiful:dog:

twodogos
May 21st, 2008, 04:09 PM
Let me try to post some pics of Diesel and Cadence

This is Diesel
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL153/5765569/19618311/316992995.jpg

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL153/5765569/11398056/294594958.jpg

Big hugs from Diesel
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL153/5765569/11398056/296027479.jpg

Cadence
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL153/5765569/19618311/316992992.jpg

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL153/5765569/19618311/316432294.jpg

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL153/5765569/19618311/316992997.jpg

chico2
May 21st, 2008, 04:31 PM
OMG,what beautiful dogs,you should put the pics in our Picture Forum.
They look familiar,did we see them before??
They are stunning:lovestruck:
Sorry :offtopic:jI just wanted to see these pups:dog:

twodogos
May 21st, 2008, 05:10 PM
OMG,what beautiful dogs,you should put the pics in our Picture Forum.
They look familiar,did we see them before??
They are stunning:lovestruck:
Sorry :offtopic:jI just wanted to see these pups:dog:

No you wouldnt have seen them on here before - this is the first time i have posted pics. You dont live to far from me - maybe you have seen them in person - i am in hamilton but their vet is in burlington.

Stacer
May 21st, 2008, 08:45 PM
It's so true Poodletalk. The dog park we go to has a Border Collie "club". They've taken over the best spot in the park and are very anti-social to any of the other dog owners. They keep to themsleves on one side and their dogs don't really play with any of the other dogs. Sometimes there are like 15-20 Border Collies chasing balls and frisbees.

It seems that all dog parks have their clique-y groups.

I've not really had any experiences with snobby purebreed dog owners yet.
Skylar likes this one little Shiba Inu, he eggs her on and she chases him. The other owner (an elderly man) laughs his head off.

poodletalk
May 27th, 2008, 06:53 AM
Well, the snobby doggy owner has seen his error in his ways! Last night, hubby was walking Maggie and the snob was walking his standard poodle Buddy.

Maggie was very persistent that she HAD to play with her friend Buddy, so she did to the horror of Buddy’s owner Dad! After they played for awhile, Buddy’s Dad said “ I was wrong, your dog is NOT aggressive, she just has a very strong personality! “

I'm hoping after last night unexpected play time, the tenision between us will stop (we live right next to each other) and the dogs will be allowed to play with each other more often.

want4rain
May 27th, 2008, 07:04 AM
YAY!!

you know i was thinking of this thread the other day.... of the hundreds of breeds of dogs, those of us with mutts cant just come up with names for our dog breeds? while i got nothing to hide (i'sa ain't 'fraid uh tellin folks Miss'er a mutt) those kinds of folks just might get home and try googling a Labradon (you know a Lab and a Dinosaur??). *smug*

-ash

bendyfoot
May 27th, 2008, 12:17 PM
I'm pretty sure I got you to Google "Mutterooski" once, W4R, after describing Gracie:D

want4rain
May 27th, 2008, 12:33 PM
:o learn from experience?? then again.... most folks arent as flaky as i am!

-ash

Jim Hall
May 27th, 2008, 06:05 PM
i remember one time walking my mutt and a lady walking a pekinesse comes up and says oh what kind of dog is that i said "umm a nice friendly one?"

Frenchy
May 27th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Maggie was very persistent that she HAD to play with her friend Buddy, so she did to the horror of Buddy’s owner Dad! After they played for awhile, Buddy’s Dad said “ I was wrong, your dog is NOT aggressive, she just has a very strong personality! “

I'm glad Maggie got her friend back ! :thumbs up