Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Advice Wanted and Welcomed!

proudmamauv3
May 11th, 2008, 01:57 AM
I have 14 puppies (5 weeks today). Started viewing pups to potential owners. One client brought a dog trainer to help in the picking out process. I agreed to this without fully knowing what the trainer was testing for. I observed this trainer take my pup (one of the most docile and submissive pups) grab her by the scruff of the neck and the scruff of the back and pin her to her side for 70 secs. When the pup resisted, the trainer rolled her knuckles into the pup harder and hit her head on the floor to keep her from resisting. This was done 5 times. It was at this point I told them to stop. I am not a dog trainer but I felt that this was not good testing, especially for a 5 week old pup. My question is what potential damage did they just do to my pup and how can I try to fix it? Signed a very upset dog owner! PS They are not getting one of my pups!

LavenderRott
May 11th, 2008, 07:36 AM
I guess she figured if she knocked the pup out, it would relax?

Sorry, I would have punched this woman in the face the first time!

Barring brain damage, the pup should be fine. Maybe a little extra socialization on your end so she doesn't develop a permanent fear of strangers.

I would also report this "trainer" aka animal abuser to the local SPCA. If she is willing to hit a 5 week old puppy like that, God only knows how she treats older dogs.

pbpatti
May 11th, 2008, 10:16 AM
not a way to treat a baby! IMO, what breed are your puppies? also the mama, she had 14? wow big litter. pbp

proudmamauv3
May 11th, 2008, 12:13 PM
Well I always try to keep an open mind when it comes to pet training but this woman did nothing but harm to my pup. I have golden retrievers/great pyrenees. I had 2 litters, 3 days apart. That's how I ended up with 14 pups. And yes I will be putting in a report against this woman. The funny thing was, she wanted to come back and test all my pups to see which one was the most submissive! Ah not a chance!

jealma
May 11th, 2008, 02:11 PM
W0W. That sounds like one screwball of a trainner. And the person who is hiring them can't be too bright if they can't see this trainner is off the wall. I"m glad your not going to let her have a pup. And can't see letting the trainner come back to beat on the babies again either. World is full of crack pots.

Chaser
May 11th, 2008, 04:08 PM
I've heard of rolling a pup over on it's back to test submissiveness...but pinning it and hitting it??? That's really awful....

wdawson
May 11th, 2008, 08:37 PM
this is just my opinion.....

i think any breeder that has any ethics would know how to show temperment of the dogs that they sell.....i would never get a dog from a breeder that that has less knowledge than some so-called trainer....why let this trainer bang the pups head 5 times?

luckypenny
May 11th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Well, I share your opinion, wdawson :shrug: . One would think a breeder would know better :confused: .

satchelp
May 11th, 2008, 09:40 PM
First of all, 5 weeks is way too early to do temperament testing on a puppy. I would suggest that it would be better if you did this process yourself but sometime between 7 and 8 weeks. Familiarize yourself with the Volhard Puppy Aptitude test and test your own puppies. Then you can make the decision on the best matches for each family. This way you are in control and don't have to worry about people bringing their own trainer.
You can find out more about this at
http://www.siriusdog.com/volhard-puppy-aptitude-test.htm

Love4himies
May 12th, 2008, 06:55 AM
This trainer would only do this to my pups once and then she/he would be thrown out of my house. The person who brought the trainer would not be allowed to adopt any of my dogs.:mad: Was momma pup in the room when she tried to do this?

Glad to hear you are reporting her.

Perhaps contacting a reputable rescue will be able to offer some advice/tips on adopting out your pups.

proudmamauv3
May 12th, 2008, 10:40 AM
This is my first time at breeding and yes I have done alot of research on temperament testing. Don't judge me by one incident, I love my animals very much. But I was caught of guard by the whole incident and the 5 times was done quite quickly, not that it excuses the act. Was looking for advice, not condemnation of my skills or opinions of negativity!:offtopic:

happycats
May 12th, 2008, 11:44 AM
This is a very pro spay and neuter board! Many here are in rescue, and clean up the messes that BYB leave behind.

Your breeding 2 breeds at the same time? Or are you breeding mixed breeds?

proudmamauv3
May 12th, 2008, 12:29 PM
I am also pro spay/neuter, but I intend on breeding my females only once. They are of a mix breed but they are of a great temperament. I see all over my area that there are breeders who charge a fortune for a dog, who aren't necessarily true dog lovers, just think of them as cash cows. And then there are these pet stores that sell breed types for astronomical prices and people don't know where they came from (perhaps a puppy mill) nor do they get to meet the parents. Curious to know, where did you get your dog/pet from? I feel that to some, selling dogs is a way to generate some extra income. They don't actually care about where they end up, just as long as they get paid. I however believe that there are families that would prefer a pup from a family that genuinely cares where they are placed and make them sign a contract to return the pup if they feel he/she is not suitable. All my pups are having there first set of shots, deworm and vet check before they are released to these homes. I am also keeping my pups until 9 weeks of age. I thoroughly screen and interview potential owners before I even think about letting them adopt one of my pups. I have performed my own temperament tests that are of hands off. I know my pups! I will still allow a dog trainer to come in and help out the picking of the pup process but only after I know of this trainer, their reputation and their techniques. I had hoped this to be of a positive experience and I feel bad that if I have offended any with my posing question and or asking of advice. I appreciate everyone's advice and I have learned allot from this experience. Thank-you. This is the end of this query.