Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog attacked

Starbuck
May 10th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Hi all, I'm new here from Alberta! Great :ca: site!

I hate for my first post to be a rant, but my precious little fur babe Niki, :dog: was attacked last wkd., by an Akita (Jemma) at my friends B'day party. Jemma is my friends bf's dog.

I called the after hrs vet, and had to wait several hrs to take her in, and they rushed her into emerg. surgery! She had gone into shock, and she ended up having 86 stitches. I had to take her in again yesterday, because she wasn't eating or drinking much, and is looking so very sad :cry: She just doesn't seem like the same old happy go lucky dog I had. I realise she needs time for her wounds to heal, but I'm so worried about the after effects! She used to adore all other animals!

She is my TOP priority right now, but I have HUGE vet bills!! The Akita's owner refuses to pay for anything, and I can't even get Bylaw Police to come. I called Weds eve to report the attack (my focus was on Niki until then) and I was told to call during the day! I couldn't call Thurs., because Niki was having a bad day,...so I called early yesterday aft. The dispatch took the info, and said she would send someone down. I waited until Midnite, and no one showed up! I called 3 times, in the meantime, and got excuses everytime. Finally at midnite I called back, and dispatch put me on hold for almost 45 mins., and then told me I should've called during the day!! Well Duh, I did!!

I was then told if I could wait till the shift change at 6am, they would send someone by. Yeah, I don't think so. So now, I have to wait until Monday for anyone to come! Does this sound as stupid to anyone else as it sounds to me?? I'm about to blow a brain cell here! :yell:

I'm sorry this was so long ya'll...needed a vent!! I really am pretty nice usually. LOL!!

Jim Hall
May 10th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Is Ok thats what the rant is for i hope Niki is doing ok and i am sure the et will understand if your strectched for money

I fyo are going to pursue this and hold the akita;s owner liable you have to act quickly and find a lawyer .

jealma
May 10th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Once you get this all staight with the police, you might concider filing at small claims court for the vet bill? I mean if you were at a get together you should have lots of witnesses to what happened. I'm surprised the guy didn't offer to help out with the cost anyways, let alone not offer to cover it since his dog did the attack. I hope Niki heals fast and that there are no side effects from this attack.. What kind of a dog is Niki?

Starbuck
May 11th, 2008, 02:29 AM
Once you get this all staight with the police, you might concider filing at small claims court for the vet bill? I mean if you were at a get together you should have lots of witnesses to what happened. I'm surprised the guy didn't offer to help out with the cost anyways, let alone not offer to cover it since his dog did the attack. I hope Niki heals fast and that there are no side effects from this attack.. What kind of a dog is Niki?

Thanks Jim and Jealma.

I'm still trying to get used to this site and navigating around, so I hope I'm doing everything the right way. Is there a way to get email notifications when you get a reply? It takes awhile to get used to how the forums work on different sites, although I will try and read through the FAQ's also when I have time.

Niki is a 5 yr old Eskie/Yellow Lab. There was actually only one witness at the gathering who saw what happened, and he just happens to be the brother of the Akita's owner. I had just gotten to the party, and it was late. I don't put a leash on my dog when she is in my van, but usually put it on before we get out.

What happened was, when I pulled up to my friends house, Niki's best buddy Sammy (****zu) was standing in the middle of the street and there was a car coming. I jumped out and called him off of the street, and then let Niki out the other side to greet her buddy. This is a house we go to all the time, and Niki never leaves my side, but is really familiar with the house and knows exactly where she is going.

It was a firepit party, and the gate was open, which is how little Sammy got out to begin with! Before I could even bat an eye, the Akita lunged at Niki at the gate. Jemma actually would have done more damage to Niki if I hadn't remembered things that I saw on the Dog Whisperer. It all happened so fast, and I didn't know the Akita was even going to be there.

Since the people at the get together were sitting around the corner at the firepit, and since it was the dog owners brother who saw the whole thing (which happened in virtually seconds) the brother is being a jerk and sticking up for his brother. Bad situation all the way around.

I have called the cops 5 times now, and one has yet to show up. The first time I was told to call during the day, since it was evening when I called. The second time I called during the day, and they took the info, and said they would send Bylaw over. I waited and waited, they didn't show! I called the 3rd time, and they said they would see why no one had come, and send an officer over. Still no one. The 4th time they said Bylaw officers were busy, but they would inquire again. The 5th time, and now it's midnite!!!...they tell me that they don't send bylaw officers out for that sort of thing at night, and I could either wait until shift change at 6am, or call later in the day, or preferably Monday. I spent 45 mins on the phone with rude dispatchers that kept leaving me on hold and asking me if anyone had helped me yet! So totally frustrating!!

Today Niki was bleeding from her stitches, so all of my attn went to her. I am going to call the police again tomorrow, and if they don't come, I am going to make a formal complaint!!

Thanks for listening all, and yes I am going to take this to small claims court...if I can ever get any of the authorities to actually take a look a my baby and make a report!! Grrrrrrr!!

chico2
May 11th, 2008, 08:28 AM
Starbuck,I am really sorry your pup got hurt and hope Niki will be ok:pray:
I could be wrong,but I do not think the police bothers much with a dog against dog attack:yell:
If I were you,I would take my own pics and bring them,together with vet-bills to small claims court.

TinaMcq
May 11th, 2008, 09:06 AM
I agree with chico2 it is the liablity of the owner who's dog attacked the other dog/person. I am sorry to hear about your dog and hope she gets better soon....

angeldogs
May 11th, 2008, 10:13 AM
Sorry to hear about Niki and being attacked.i would keep everything documented.with all the phone calls to the police and everyone else you've called and no one showing up.and get a small claims court filed.the other owner is responsible for his dog and the actions of his dog.his dog attack your dog.he is responsible for your vet bills.

ancientgirl
May 11th, 2008, 02:38 PM
I'm sorry about your dog. I hope she gets better soon.

I agree with the others. Get your bills together and take this jerk to small claims court. Maybe when he sees he's being taken to court he'll be more cooperative. I'm wondering where your friend is in all of this? Is she at least telling her boyfriend to do the right thing? What a jerk.

jealma
May 11th, 2008, 03:06 PM
My brain had a slow moment.. Yes take pictures,, lots of pictures and even though only the brother saw the attack,, others must have seen the dog arrived in fine shape that evening. And your vet's first bill will have the date and time. Good luck with this.. and how is our patient today?