Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Found a cat - what to do about it?

CearaQC
May 10th, 2008, 12:47 PM
Hi all

Was outside a while ago and a male (not neutered) kitty approached. He's very friendly and nice. Can't be more than 4-5 months old. No collar.

What can I do? I don't know many people in the immediate area and not going to bring an unneutered male into the house. He doesn't seem starved but was happy to eat some cat food.

I posted on a local website asking if anyone lost a kitty. But not sure what else to do since there's no animal shelter/rescue in this area.

rainbow
May 10th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Can you keep him in the garage or make a shelter for him until you can hopefully find his home or get him neutered? :fingerscr :goodvibes:

CearaQC
May 10th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Didn't see him all afternoon until just a bit ago. Took the dogs for a walk and Linx followed. I guess Linx wanted to go for a walk too. :laughing:

When we got back to the house, orange kitty was there. Dogs went bonkers and wanted a piece of that strange cat which put him on edge. I had a difficult time maintaining control of the dogs, even though they live with a cat.

Then Linx spotted orange kitty and started making awful sounds and then LUNGED at orange kitty. Orange took off and will have to wait and see if he comes back. I guess Linx didn't like having a strange kitty on his turf. Linx is neutered BTW.

14+kitties
May 10th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Could you put posters up near by? You would think a tiny kitty like that would not be friendly if it was feral. Maybe someone dumped it too. :sad: I hope it comes back. You could use a kitty in your greenhouse. All that catnip, no cat. :) Keeps rodents down too.

Karra
May 14th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Hi all

Was outside a while ago and a male (not neutered) kitty approached. He's very friendly and nice. Can't be more than 4-5 months old. No collar.

What can I do? I don't know many people in the immediate area and not going to bring an unneutered male into the house. He doesn't seem starved but was happy to eat some cat food.

I posted on a local website asking if anyone lost a kitty. But not sure what else to do since there's no animal shelter/rescue in this area.

If you can afford it, take him to your vet's to be checked out and vaccinated. He should be first tested for FIV and Feline Leukemia and depending on the results you may need to make some tough decisions. Then take him in after two weeks to be neutered.

We have many strays in my area. I have tried two shelters and an animal rescue group (TCR) - the latter convinced me to take an injured and badly scratched up tom cat to their vet - Ashbridges Bay Animal Hospital. For $84.00, he was vaccinated, lanced, given antibiotics, treated for fleas and neutered ALL IN ONE DAY. After this was done I was told he still had to be tested for FIV and Feline Leukemia. He came back positive. Stupid me for assuming they had enough sense to test him first.

Our local animal shelter (Toronto Humane Society) is useless. They no longer accept cats that have not been spayed/neutered. They however do GIVE away kittens that haven't been spayed/neutered. And accept fixed pets only by appointment. While they do not euthanize the animals in their care (or so they claim), they warehouse them and offer them up to anyone who is willing to take them off their hands. So, not having an animal shelter in your area is no loss, in my opinion.

Our local animal control group (Toronto Animal Services) accepts all animals. However, they euthanize the ones that are not deemed "adoptable". Feral cats, abused strays and anything that displays aggression will not qualify as "adoptable". But at least they try - and the cats that are put up for adoption are not given away for free.

If you manage to fix up your little guy, and don't want to keep him, you will want to look for a good home for him. Don't give him away for free, and don't give him to individuals that you wouldn't want to go home with yourself! Give them your phone number, and follow up to see how he is doing. Asking for a small payment will weed out the individuals who either are not able to or not willing to look after a pet properly. There are people out there that give no more thought to throwing a cat out than they do to throwing out an old pair of shoes.

Good luck.

CearaQC
May 14th, 2008, 10:01 PM
After my cat Linx lunged at orange kitty with that kitty wrestling/tackle maneuver, orange kitty took off, and I have not seen him since.

:shrug:

We live out in the country, bordering the "bush," which is chock full of wild animals, predatory and otherwise. It's rare to see stray animals around our neighborhood.

Karra
May 18th, 2008, 11:10 PM
Oh too bad. Sounds like Linx took matters in his own hands (or paws rather). :cat: