Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Was Not Easy,but He Is Gone!!!

heidiho
June 28th, 2004, 10:38 AM
Well i took him there sat.. she was so nice gave me a gsd stuffed animal,told me she might breed her dog next year and if my situation is better i can have first pick...I let damien out of car and he went right to her front door,made me feel better....Did all my crying that night,the ONLY thing that is making me feel ok about it,is thinking about how i couldnt go near his food,or even pet him,couldnt let him sleep in my bed..I just picture when i first got him and all the cute things he did,and all the training and everything i taught him,i just cant believe this is what happend,i went to a shelter right after work friday to look,went to petsmart sat..I dont want to jump into a cat right now just because he is gone,i would really like a miniature dachshund,and maybe next year i am gonna try to get a duplex with a yard then get a gsd...........SOOO sad,...................not the same without him there...........

Goldenmom
June 28th, 2004, 10:50 AM
Heidi! Let me be the first to say, I am very proud of you. This was a very un-selfish thing you did, and you did it for Damien! Things will be quiet around your house, but you know that it is for the better. I bet he is in heaven today with all the other dogs.

Good for you also for not jumping into another animal right away. You will know when the time is right.

Take care Heidi and please keep us updated.

Heather

Lucky Rescue
June 28th, 2004, 11:04 AM
Yes, you did the right, mature, and unselfish thing. I agree that you shouldn't get any more pets right now.

If you want a dachshund down the road, make sure you do a lot of research first, as these are not the easiest of dogs. In your situation (working all day) a puppy is not a good choice. An older dog, who is housetrained and past the chewing stage so it could be left loose during the day would be much better.

heidiho
June 28th, 2004, 11:47 AM
Thanks,i have not called her either,trying to wait at least a week,then i will call and see how he is doing,yeah i thought about how much time and effort went into damien when he was 7 weeks old,i didnt have to work then and it still was tough,i would not have time to raise a puppy now that i work,if i did get a m dachshund it would be older,and i dont want to get a cat just to have something at home.I really am a dog person so i will either wait til i can get a place with backyard then get a gsd,or just wait a little longer and maybe get an older m dachshund in my apt,just dont want to make a bad descion right now,thanks for the support,it took EVERYTHING in me not to just pick him up at my friends house and take him home.....

Spoiled
June 28th, 2004, 12:07 PM
Good for you Heidi! You did the right thing, and Damien is going to be one happy puppy now! :)

heidiho
June 28th, 2004, 12:18 PM
I just cant seem to grasp the fact that i will never see him again...........I have had alot of difficult things happen to me in this life,but i cannot begin to describe how hard that was to let him go................ :( :( :(

Spoiled
June 28th, 2004, 12:23 PM
Can't you ask them to let you see him once in a while? I'm sure if it is a good adopter, they would gladly let you. Ask for their phone number and email adress, and email and phone them often. I understand how hard it is. I had the same feeling when we had to put down my lifelong companion, and cat called Mittens. :(

heidiho
June 28th, 2004, 12:33 PM
Well i know i can see him whenever i want while he is at the rescue place,but i dont think that is wise right now,the last thing i need is for him to come running to me i would melt and take him,she said sometimes the adopters will let you see him,just depends on whoever adopts him,if they will elt me or not.....................

Spoiled
June 28th, 2004, 12:39 PM
Let us know when he gets adopted, and I'm sure it is possible for you to see him when he is. :) Yes, don't go see him now, because you probably would "melt."

heidiho
June 28th, 2004, 12:48 PM
Yeah i will let you know up dates on him...I am gonna call this weekend and see how he is...................

Luba
June 28th, 2004, 01:06 PM
You're a tough cookie!! You have done right by that doggie and you know it!

Take some time for yourself and rearrange your mind, life and spirit!

Hey girl go buy a new outfit or get your hair done....eat a box of oreo cookies or something lol!

You did well! :D

heidiho
June 28th, 2004, 01:14 PM
Thanks Luba,i know it is the right thing,it is just sooo hard not having him there,everything makes me think of him,i do need to get my roots done,maybe i will go do that,think i am gonna get a couple of fish for now,til i decide what really would be better an older dachshund or a cat....Dont want to do it right now,need to do it with the right frame of mind,went to shelter this weekend,forgot how said that place is,so many sad faces,i used to volunteer at a shelter,i could never do it again,to depressing...............

chico2
June 28th, 2004, 04:19 PM
I agree with everyone,you did what's right for Damien,it must have been extreemly difficult and I am sure we are all proud of you.
Down the road you can get a lonely little dog from a shelter,there are so many who would love to be loved by you :)

heidiho
June 28th, 2004, 04:27 PM
I was looking for just one sign from him that would of made me keep him,i guess it is a good thing i didnt,because honestly to me,no matter how much you train a dog something like that will always be right under the surface and i know i would of never trusted him 100 percent...Why he became protective of his toys baffles me,i never had that problem with him or with his chewy sticks,it just came out of left field..........Yeah someday someone will take his place............Will never be the same,but such is life,..

Luba
June 28th, 2004, 05:13 PM
Heidi you can't look at 'replacing' him because each soul whether the human or furry kind is different.

I STILL miss my dogs that have died, esp the last one that I had from a puppy until he ws 16. But I do have Sadie now and I love her to pieces.

Nothing replaces something you lost, but remember your Damien hasn't passed away he's alive and well and most probably going to be rehomed!

I hope you took his toys and things with him?

heidiho
June 28th, 2004, 05:20 PM
Funny you ask that about the toys,i was gonna bring all his toys but tina[gsdr lady] said she prefers people not to do that,because sometimes the dogs get a little possesive of there toys when people have done that in the past and it causes the dogs getting into a fight...So i just brought one..I kept his bed and crate and collar with his name tag on it[that is for memories]i saved the one from my moms dahcshund when we had to put him to sleep.I know Damien can never be replaced,he was my first dog i have had on my own,obiviously i need more practice if i ever want a gsd again,also as for what luba and mona have said about breeders and checking their temp,and getting a guarntee that i can return puppy,you GUYS were soooo right,i truly believe damien had some issues already when i got him,if i EVER get a gsd dog again[which i truly loveeee this breed] i will never do it that way again,if i have to save 2000... to get a good one i will,most amazingly smartest dog i ahve ever had...There is no substitue.

Karin
June 28th, 2004, 05:51 PM
((( HEIDI!!)))

Sometimes when you love something so very much, you have to let them go.

You did what was best for Damien, out of love. I know you will not believe this, but you did not fail him, you did right by him for this decision. Not all matches are right for either side.

rebel24
June 28th, 2004, 05:52 PM
heidi don't let it get ya down. you did the right thing givin him back to the rescue. Let me share an experience had with a gsd. i got him a year ago for free from a county cop here. Something was just wrong from the get go not from when i got him but since he was born. He was real shy, standoffish. will i just thought he was shy and he would be ok after a few days. Well i was wrong dog went nuts in a matter of hours at my home. holed himself up in a corner in my house. growling and stuff. we let him out on our back porch hoping he would calm down will he found a way out. Well knowing the dog was a little nuts so we went out to find him well we found him but he bit the heck out of my husband. now this didn't have a good ending for us we had him put down for the agression. but i just goes to show you some dogs just come this way(for lack of a better term). I honestly do not think you did anything wrong with him all across the usa people feed their dogs once or twice a day without this agression problems. so please don't be to hard on yourself these things happen. but damien is at the rescue where he can find a really good home with people better able to handly his issues. just be strong everything will be ok.....just always keep him in your heart and he will always be with you... :)

heidiho
June 28th, 2004, 06:02 PM
Thank you guys so much,i just think god he must be so confused right now...And thanks for that story i do truly believe this did start where i got him,he was not real friendly wouldnt come to me like the other one did,just for the record i wanted the other one,my ex wanted damien,which i love to death,but just think wow if i would got the other pup would things be different right now,but he was my boy,i will always miss him and hope one day i can see him thriving in a good home..Blows my mind how really incredibly smart the gsd is,i will always want another one and most likely wait til i can get a good one,that is what my heart and gut tell me,i think friday i am gonna get some fish............If i ever come across a m dachshund that is older i would get one,and then i could have a gsd in a year or so and they will have each other when i am work,,,,,,,,,,,

theplainsjane
June 28th, 2004, 09:04 PM
Heidi, I'm proud of you. :)

SOUTHERNPHILLY
June 28th, 2004, 10:41 PM
Thank you guys so much,i just think god he must be so confused right now...And thanks for that story i do truly believe this did start where i got him,he was not real friendly wouldnt come to me like the other one did,just for the record i wanted the other one,my ex wanted damien,which i love to death,but just think wow if i would got the other pup would things be different right now,but he was my boy,i will always miss him and hope one day i can see him thriving in a good home..Blows my mind how really incredibly smart the gsd is,i will always want another one and most likely wait til i can get a good one,that is what my heart and gut tell me,i think friday i am gonna get some fish............If i ever come across a m dachshund that is older i would get one,and then i could have a gsd in a year or so and they will have each other when i am work,,,,,,,,,,,
HEY THERE. WHAT EXACTLY HAPPENED TO DAMIEN. I HAVE SEARCHED AND FELT I WOULD FIND OUT SOONER BY CONTACTING YOU.

sammiec
June 29th, 2004, 07:50 AM
HEIDI!! I am very proud of you!!! I know I was harsh sometimes, and for that I am sorry. You did the right thing and I knw that it's hard and all of us feel for you! You are very strong dealing with this situation, you should be proud of yourself! :)

heidiho
June 29th, 2004, 10:34 AM
Southern filly,the short story is damien was very food aggressive,i tried some different things,didnt help,i turned him into a gsd rescue,he was there a few days,i missed him so much,talked to the lady that was fostering him she said he was such a great dog why did i turn him in,part of it was because i felt bad him living in an apt,so she said lots of people do that,so i went and picked him back up he was so happy jumped right in my car,well last week my ex came over and damien was in my bed i put him in his crate,from that day foward he would growl at me if i petted him,if i gave him a toy he would take it right in his crate,would not let me touch his toys,one night he was laying in crate i walked by he came out and started growling at me,my vet said either get him some serious training or i need to re home him,i do not have that kind of money for a trainer to come to my place,and i would have never fully trusted him again.there is more but that is the short version,i had him since 7 weeks old,and miss him something awful,,