Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bath brings on bad behaviour?

jealma
May 9th, 2008, 06:52 PM
So last night was bath night. Abby was a very good girl and even with a few attemps at escape, we got the job done. We did the towel dry and the hair dryer dry and than came back down for more towel dry, since we didn't do a complete hair drier dry. She had a good time rubbing into the towel.

Now here is where the problem is. After all the fun, we are sitting on the couch, Abby on the floor and she decides she's going to bark at us. So I tell her , in a firm voice, NO and she just barks louder at me . I clap my hands and tell her NO, louder and firmmer, and she just barks back louder and firmer. This goes on too long and I do a no no,, I put her in her kennel. But this works, she stops the barking. Till I let her out, and we are right back to the misbehaved little lady she decided to be. We did this several time till she decided she wanted to go to the bedroom instead of bark at us.

Where did this come from? She was not a very nice little dog and usually she is? Something in the shampoo? What the frig happened to my nice little doggie

Lissa
May 9th, 2008, 08:43 PM
:D Oh the minds of canines:D... You could probably think of a million reasons why she did this...

I think the 2 most probable reasons are:

1. Baths and all the grooming that goes along with them can be stressful for some dogs which often causes a need to release all the pent up energy/emotions (my dogs way of doing this is the zoomies - basically nascar in my house!)

2. If she found this seriously stressful and has a hard time calming herself, the barking could have been a displacement behaviour - possibly letting out her frustrations and not being able to escape.;)

As an aside - it sounds like "no" is a poisoned cue and meaningless to Abby... You may want to modify that ;-)

BeagleMum
May 9th, 2008, 09:11 PM
I know when my two have a bath, they get major zoomies and chase each other around the house, they go spaz on me. LOL It could be something like that but she is barking rather than running. Is she back to herself today?

jealma
May 10th, 2008, 09:59 AM
She is pretty much back to herself. She did do the zoomies and when she was drying off on the towel she made that a real work out to hang on to the towel. I never thought of the barking as a way to get rid of frustration though. Is there anyway to make bathtime less stressful for her. She really did seem pretty well behaved through it although I do know she would have prefered to be else where.

rainbow
May 10th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Every dog we've ever had has gotten major zoomies after getting a bath at home but if they've gone to the groomers they never have after we've picked them up. :shrug:

angeldogs
May 10th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Jag gets the zoomies flops and rolls.Maybe she was asking for something our shih tzu will sit there and bark when she wants something the more you say no the louder she gets.

jealma
May 11th, 2008, 03:18 PM
It just seemed to be like it had turnned into a a yelling match between the hubby and her. And she gets quit serious in her bark back. Maybe this is just a shih tzu thing? I hear they can be quite stubburn.

angeldogs
May 11th, 2008, 11:26 PM
It just seemed to be like it had turnned into a a yelling match between the hubby and her. And she gets quit serious in her bark back. Maybe this is just a shih tzu thing? I hear they can be quite stubburn.
Yes they can be stubborn.ours stays with my mom to keep her company only get her back for quick visits.Then she has another one thats stubborn.he belongs to the older gentlemen in a nursing home and stays with my mom because the dog is not allowed the stay at the nursing home fulltime.