Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

ear cropping

Sallybu
May 9th, 2008, 10:38 AM
Hi guys, does anyone know of a vet who performs ear cropping in the Ottawa On area?

Melinda
May 9th, 2008, 11:04 AM
isn't ear cropping usually done before a pup leaves the breeders? what type of dog do you own? Are you going to be showing the dog? There aren't too many vets anymore that will crop a dogs ears ....a lot don't like it. But I'm sure you'll find someone in the area

jessi76
May 9th, 2008, 11:08 AM
is this for the 5 WEEK old dobe? I'm curious as to why the breeder won't refer you to someone? Personally, I prefer natural ears and tails on all dogs.

mastifflover
May 9th, 2008, 11:14 AM
I am with you Jesse leave them natural. Sometimes even when cropped they do not always stay standing. In some states it is illegal to crop their ears

junosmom
May 9th, 2008, 11:23 AM
I am making a new rule when I become Prime Minister :ca:

Any "owner" that want's to crop their dogs ears must have their own ears cropped first....:thumbs up

Jim Hall
May 9th, 2008, 11:25 AM
ok now y'all piling on I agree that i like uncropped ears but relly they have been doing ot for ages and if thats what the op wants
we had to crop our boxers cause of general infections and goopiness in them maybe she has the same problem?

mastifflover
May 9th, 2008, 11:36 AM
I have no problem when it is done for medical reasons as I well know about ear problems Bud had chronic ear infections.

Sallybu
May 9th, 2008, 11:37 AM
I thought that this was a place to gather information not opinions - Do you feel the need to challenge me... I only posted a question

Frenchy
May 9th, 2008, 11:54 AM
I thought that this was a place to gather information not opinions - Do you feel the need to challenge me... I only posted a question

This is a public forum , everyone is in tittle to their opinions .... you can always look at 411 and call vets :confused:

Frenchy
May 9th, 2008, 12:05 PM
ok now y'all piling on I agree that i like uncropped ears but relly they have been doing ot for ages

Slavery was done for many years too .....

mafiaprincess
May 9th, 2008, 12:12 PM
You need to find dobe people, and you may be looking at one heck of a drive. Just because a vet can crop, doesn't mean they do it enough to do nice crops. If you go to someone who doesn't do enough dobes, you may pay out for something that looks hideous when healed. You also are going to want help reposting them for months post crop.

The fact that you have a 5 week old puppy in your possession tells me you went to a skeazy breeder who won't be helping you out.

MaryAndDobes is quite knowledgeable and a dobe breeder, I'm pretty sure in Ontario. Maybe message her on here and ask her for some advice.

mastifflover
May 9th, 2008, 12:12 PM
It is a place to gather info but we also give our opinions on all pet matters. We do not always agree but we also learn a lot from each other. I do not think anyone challenged you we just stated our opinion and I guess since we don't agree with you it is not what you want to hear. Sorry but that is the way it works here. Also who would ever let a puppy especially a large breed go at 5 weeks. I would save the money on cropping because you may have many other health issues cropping up. Dogs should not leave there moms before 8 weeks minimum I perfer 10-12 weeks for large and giant breeds

erykah1310
May 11th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Staples in London comes highly recommended if you are willing to drive a ways.